• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Arte's Marketing Genius

The coaching staff should have been replaced, en mass, the day Dipoto took the GM job.

If JD had been given "THE" GM job,  and Arte had been the hands off owner that so many here mistakenly think he is, he would have shipped Scioscia and company out within hours.

The FACT is that Arte runs the team. Pujols and Hamilton would have been somewhere else if not for Arte Moreno and his "marketing"

He felt needed to compete with the marketing of the "Real" LA team.

Arte has never figured out that his team lies between LA and SD.

He lives in freakin Arizona, bought a team in Socal, and has no clue.

Scioscia, ex-Dodger, with a familiar name... give him a 10 year.

That's the ticket.

It has been pretty much a train wreck ever since.

Oh my god. We have a team that's willing to spend money. We have an owner that negotiated a $3 billion TV contract despite having the lowest tv ratings in the MLB. He wants to win and he wants to build the brand. Nothing wrong with that.

He is a marketing genius, no doubt.

But he has a lot to learn about how a baseball franchise should be run.

The 2010s Halos are exactly like the Skanks in the 1980's. Steinbrenner eventually stopped playing it like this, and the 1990s dynasty eventually happened.

Remember that Steinbrenner had great success earlier in his ownership but then thought he could spend, spend, spend to maintain it. Whoops, no such luck in the 1980s for the Skanks.

You can buy billboards all across town, create new Angels TV shows left and right, purchase and run your own personal radio station, give away Angels gear, and dump a ton of money into marketing a team, but I guarantee you, if the team across town doesn't spend a dime on any of that, and they win when you don't, guaranteed they'll have more butts in the seats and be making more money than you.

You can be a marketing genius, but the W/L record will dictate whether or not fans turn out on a nightly basis and buy your memorabilia more than anything else.

There was a time that I thought Arte was the best thing that ever happened to the Angels.

A decade has passed, and his ownership has turned into a train wreck.

I still think he can pull it out of disaster mode, and be successful, but he needs to turn things over to someone who knows what they are doing.

He made a good move in hiring Jerry Dipoto, he needs to trust in that decision, and back away, and let Jerry do the job.

There was a time that I thought Arte was the best thing that ever happened to the Angels.

A decade has passed, and his ownership has turned into a train wreck.

I still think he can pull it out of disaster mode, and be successful, but he needs to turn things over to someone who knows what they are doing.

He made a good move in hiring Jerry Dipoto, he needs to trust in that decision, and back away, and let Jerry do the job.

I think the verdict is still out on DiPoto.  He hasn't been in the job very long, but some of the player selections he's made are real shaky.  I would almost say he's making a lot of inexperienced, rookie type mistakes.  I also think your second line is incorrect, the ownership has not turned into a train wreck, but the baseball organization is turning into one.  I would be inclined to sweep out the manager, coaches, GM and many in the GM's organization if this mess does not settle down in the next few months.  That's easy for us to say, but it will cost Arte a lot of bucks and rebuilding time.

I totally agree that Dipoto would have shit canned Scioscia right away if he had 100% control.

When did DiPoto ever indicate that he was unhappy with Sciscia's performance?  And how do you know he doesn't have 100% control over manager and coaching decisions?  He had enough to relieve Hatcher of his job.  I think DiPoto is brash enough to handle Scioscia if that is what he wants.  Or maybe he feels a little guilty that he is a large part of the problem?

IMO  Arte is way more involved in player decisions than you think.

Pujols and Hamilton were, in my view, marketing decisions coming down from the boss,  not something Dipoto begged, or even suggested, as something the org should do.

Some good points here and a lot of blame to go around. I think Arte has shot himself in the foot, but for the good of the fans, in making some of these high-priced decisions. DiPoto's pitching decisions have been questionable and Scioscia continues to make questionable moves on the field.

I think management would like to see how the team comes around with a healthy bullpen and then make changes from there. I think Blanton is already a goner and DiPoto will replace him first chance he gets.

During the 1980's the Yankees were a top payroll team untill 1988 when they slipped to 3rd., During the 90's they were no worse than a top 5 even during their lowest point in 1991. That lasted exactly one year then they went back to top 4,3,2 then the top payroll team in 1995 and pretty much stayed there since except for 1998 when they were 2nd.

He is a marketing genius, no doubt.

But he has a lot to learn about how a baseball franchise should be run.

The 2010s Halos are exactly like the Skanks in the 1980's. Steinbrenner eventually stopped playing it like this, and the 1990s dynasty eventually happened.

Remember that Steinbrenner had great success earlier in his ownership but then thought he could spend, spend, spend to maintain it. Whoops, no such luck in the 1980s for the Skanks.

Oh my god. We have a team that's willing to spend money. We have an owner that negotiated a $3 billion TV contract despite having the lowest tv ratings in the MLB. He wants to win and he wants to build the brand. Nothing wrong with that.

arte would have been better off buying a circus