• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Sanctuary Cities

Started in 1979 by (surprise) Los Angeles

It looks like NYC mayor Bill deBlasio is picking a fight with Trump over this issue. Probably realizes it is his only hope at re-election by inspiring the Libs to show up at the polls and save his ass.

54 minutes ago, mtangelsfan said:

They can and they can't.  It is really about how badly the feds want to push it.

They can arrest the mayor, city council or anyone if they really want to.  They could shut down funds, or threaten the state those cities are in by withholding funds.

This is what I think they will probably do.  Similar to when alcohol was changed to 21.  Some states kept it at 18, but the feds just withheld funds until they complied.

Its a lot more complicated than that. You're going to be looking at a game of chicken. These cities, like most cities receive a lot of Federal Money, which DC will be able to use as a threat, But a lot of that money goes to things the Federal Government has a significant interest in. I don't think much will change. 

Similar to Obama threatening to withhold federal funding from universities that refused to provide transgender bathrooms.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/12/politics/transgender-bathrooms-obama-administration/

Feds issue guidance on transgender access to school bathrooms

The letter does not carry the force of law but the message was clear: Fall in line or face loss of federal funding.

1 hour ago, arch stanton said:

Federal money should be for federal projects and not for extorting state and local governments.

Exactly, this is why it is keeping the money local instead of sending it to D.C. first is so important.  When you give money to the feds, you are giving them power over you.

13 minutes ago, Lawrence said:

Dirty work like handing the criminals over to the Feds before they release them? 

You're placing the policy in a vacuum. It doesn't effect only the detainee and it doesn't necessarily make the cities safer overall so the burden of making it so should fall on the feds. Just strong arming instead of trying to find the best mutual policy seems very Trumpian.

1 minute ago, arch stanton said:

You're placing the policy in a vacuum. It doesn't effect only the detainee and it doesn't necessarily make the cities safer overall so the burden of making it so should fall on the feds. Just strong arming instead of trying to find the best mutual policy seems very Trumpian.

I expect ICE to have a huge role in enforcing these existing immigration laws. Not everything will fall on the local law enforcement. 

8 minutes ago, Lawrence said:

I expect ICE to have a huge role in enforcing these existing immigration laws. Not everything will fall on the local law enforcement. 

I'd be very happy if ICE stays busy but all I see from the incoming administration right now is some excuse making in advance for when the numbers he pulled out of his ass turn out to be exaggerated. Once we see the feds handling their business it would be more acceptable for them to start pointing fingers but threatening to withhold funding as a disciplinary tool is bullshit.

19 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

I'd be very happy if ICE stays busy but all I see from the incoming administration right now is some excuse making in advance for when the numbers he pulled out of his ass turn out to be exaggerated. Once we see the feds handling their business it would be more acceptable for them to start pointing fingers but threatening to withhold funding as a disciplinary tool is bullshit.

I am counting on the fact that most of the stuff he spouted during the campaign was an exaggeration.