• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Neil walker accepts QO from Mets

Richard

4 minutes ago, Oz27 said:

Walker and Hellickson accepting really isn't ideal for teams who want to improve via the free agent market. I thought Walker would be valuable enough to overcome that but I guess he thought he would be better placed in a year.

I think it's about his back injury. 

Just now, Stradling said:

I think it's about his back injury. 

Yeah probably. If he's healthy and good for a year and hits the market without the punishment of losing a pick then he will do well next year.

He isn't a full time solution but I hope we sign Steve Pearce. He can play a bit of second, third and corner outfield, as well as 1B or DH if Cron or Pujols get injured. He should be available pretty cheaply too.

I'm not suggesting it or thinking it's realistic, just sort of curious in a hypothetical sense - could the Mets turn around and trade Walker? Are there any limitations? Also aware that the QO is probably changing so this is moot but wondered if a team could turn around and trade player for a prospect equivalent to a draft pick with the acquiring team absorbing the QO. 

Couldn't remember if there was a limitation. 

Kind of a bummer because he was the player who could have improved the Angels the most, if he performed like he did in 2016. But there's the back issue.

Sean-Rod is the obvious candidate. I'm also not opposed to Cowart being given a shot, but there really is no one to replace him--Pennington? Petit?--if he does a Brandon Wood.

2 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

I'd beware of Sean Rodriguez. This was by far his best offensive season, one that is unlikely to replicated.  I'd love to see the Angels pull off a trade for Solarte. 

I've wanted him for a couple years, going back to before the Freese trade I think. Has a Yankee connection too.

21 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Solarte wouldn't come cheap...pretty solid numbers the last two years, good player...

Given that there is no one really good available in free agency, pretty much anyone worth getting isn't come cheap. And I may be more optimistic than some, but 2B is such a black hole that addressing it with a solid improvement gives us a complete enough roster that I feel we be a strong, competitive team next season.

Obviously we will need some luck in the rotation and another pen arm or two, but I feel more comfortable with the odds of those panning out than I do Cowart, Pennington, or Petit holding down second successfully.