• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Who will be the starting 2B in 2017

Second Base

Who will be the starting 2B in 2017?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Our starting 2B in 2017 will be...

• Cliff Pennington
    • Kaleb Cowart
    • Gregorio Petit
    • David Fletcher
    • Sherman Johnson
    • Alex Yarbrough
    • Chase Utley
    • Stephen Drew
    • Aaron Hill
    • Neil Walker
    • Erick Aybar
    • Someone else
    • Yunel Escobar

I'd be interested in reacquiring Kendrick.  I think part of the reason his offense and defense slipped was because the Dodgers moved him all around the field and he played less frequently.  If the Angels reacquired Kendrick, he'd play 2B everyday and bat 5th.  He'd probably settle right back into his normal production too.  .290/.330 30 DB 10 HR 10 SB and average defense.  This team is suddenly a lot better if Howie's our starting 2B.  Better offensively and defensively, and from a clubhouse perspective. 

As far as what it would take, not as much as you'd think. As long as the Angels offered the Dodgers a player that could legitimately help them in the future, like Nate Smith, they might do it. 

10 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

I'd be interested in reacquiring Kendrick.  I think part of the reason his offense and defense slipped was because the Dodgers moved him all around the field and he played less frequently.  If the Angels reacquired Kendrick, he'd play 2B everyday and bat 5th.  He'd probably settle right back into his normal production too.  .290/.330 30 DB 10 HR 10 SB and average defense.  This team is suddenly a lot better if Howie's our starting 2B.  Better offensively and defensively, and from a clubhouse perspective. 

As far as what it would take, not as much as you'd think. As long as the Angels offered the Dodgers a player that could legitimately help them in the future, like Nate Smith, they might do it. 

I'd make that trade. Anything that enables us to cheaply boost secondbase to a .330 OBP or mid .700s OPS with an improvement in defense would be a massive gain. I like Nate, but if Eppler keeps hoarding lotto ticket AAA SPs, Smith's spot on the depth chart is only going to get lower.

3 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I'd make that trade. Anything that enables us to cheaply boost secondbase to a .330 OBP or mid .700s OPS with an improvement in defense would be a massive gain. I like Nate, but if Eppler keeps hoarding lotto ticket AAA SPs, Smith's spot on the depth chart is only going to get lower.

I wonder if the Dodgers would.  I mean, yeah, they could use some pitching depth, but next year and beyond, I think you can count on Urias and De Leon.  Maybe Hermosillo.  The tough part I have with this, is that I don't think the Dodgers will just give Kendrick away.  He's their insurance in case Turner walks.  But if Turner re-ups, then I could envision a Kendrick trade.

29 minutes ago, nando714 said:

Utley? This is why the angels are a dumpster fire. Trotting out 38 year old 2B who can't hit but is a good clubhouse vet. This has sosh witten all over iT

Utley 2016: .252/.319/.396/.716
LAA 2B '16: .235/.275/.345/.620
LAA 2B '15: .250/.295/.352/.646

He'd be an improvement.

I've been talking to a lot of people this week about 2B and this what I believe...

Internal options are not options. Forget it. No one who is in the organization now will be the everyday 2B. Including Escobar. Not happening.

They really want a LH or SH. Not a deal breaker but that's the strong preference. 

They really want a guy who can play good defense.

Kendrick seems to not fit at all. He's old and his defense is really shaky now. He's also a RH hitter who didn't hit all that well. 

Other guys Iike Scooter Gennett and Derrick Dietrick, who are definitely acquirable, are really bad defensively. 

Sean Rodriguez worries them because you're buying him at the top of his value ever. And his defense is also not great. And he hits RH.

I think they're gonna pretty hard after Neil Walker and Cesar Hernandez and if they can't do either of those I think Zack Cozart is a much more likely short term than Kendrick. Or even Chase Utley, who is a better fit than Kendrick and is a FA.

3 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I've been talking to a lot of people this week about 2B and this what I believe...

Internal options are not options. Forget it. No one who is in the organization now will be the everyday 2B. Including Escobar. Not happening.

They really want a LH or SH. Not a deal breaker but that's the strong preference. 

They really want a guy who can play good defense.

Kendrick seems to not fit at all. He's old and his defense is really shaky now. He's also a RH hitter who didn't hit all that well. 

Other guys Iike Scooter Gennett and Derrick Dietrick, who are definitely acquirable, are really bad defensively. 

Sean Rodriguez worries them because you're buying him at the top of his value ever. And his defense is also not great. And he hits RH.

I think they're gonna pretty hard after Neil Walker and Cesar Hernandez and if they can't do either of those I think Zack Cozart is a much more likely short term than Kendrick. Or even Chase Utley, who is a better fit than Kendrick and is a FA.

So now is the time to chase Chase?

3 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Hope you're right on Cesar - you sparked that idea and he's my ideal choice!

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

But one can be had for one year at around $7-8 million, the other had a bad back or neck this past season and will cost a second round pick and will get around 4 years and what $40-50 million?

Yeah I can't see them being that interested in Walker. I think they'd have to be whiffing pretty bad on other needs, particularly pitching, for them to shift gears and focus on a long-term contract for an aging second baseman. 

As high as they seem to be on Fletcher, it makes more sense to nab someone on a one-year deal and see if he can push for the job in '18. Personally I think they're going to find someone via trade who has some club control. 

Yeah Cliff has been good in his role as UT IF/back-up SS, and an improvement over previous two years.

Cliff '16: .209/.265/.308/.573, 59 OPS+ and 0.4 WAR
Featherston '15: .162/.212/.247/.459, 30 OPS+ and -0.2 WAR
McDonald '14: .171/.256/.197/.453, 34 OPS+ and -0.3 WAR

We have so many spots on the 25 that contribute negative WAR, that I give virtually anyone a pass right now if they're in the positive. Worry about improving other areas first. Cliff is the kind of guy that could get dealt in July to a playoff contender needing some depth or UT IF insurance too. Role players like that get dealt in their contract years fairly often.