• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Who will be the starting 2B in 2017

Second Base

Who will be the starting 2B in 2017?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Our starting 2B in 2017 will be...

• Cliff Pennington
    • Kaleb Cowart
    • Gregorio Petit
    • David Fletcher
    • Sherman Johnson
    • Alex Yarbrough
    • Chase Utley
    • Stephen Drew
    • Aaron Hill
    • Neil Walker
    • Erick Aybar
    • Someone else
    • Yunel Escobar

Who logs the most starts at 2B in 2017? This can go so many directions. It could be a free agent, it could be an existing in house option, it could be a position change for Escobar, it could be a prospect that puts it all together, or it could even be a trade acquisition.

Who do you have? 

40 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Am liking the acquire Cesar Hernandez idea.   Gives the Halos a much needed lefty hitter (switch-hitter).

Sean-Rod would be a solid second choice, if not acquiring Hernandez.

Just out of curiosity why would the Phillies trade their 26yr old 2B who just hit .294 with .371 OBP? 

Appears their next 2B played part of the year at AA so isn't ready for MLB even though he appears to be their 2B of the future.

And what do the Angels have to trade?  Cron? Surely not Thaiss or Jones or Ward.

6 minutes ago, ksangel said:

Just out of curiosity why would the Phillies trade their 26yr old 2B who just hit .294 with .371 OBP? 

Appears their next 2B played part of the year at AA so isn't ready for MLB even though he appears to be their 2B of the future.

And what do the Angels have to trade?  Cron? Surely not Thaiss or Jones or Ward.

Writes the Fletch, "Hernandez is 26 and arbitration-eligible for the first time this winter. The Phillies might be willing to move him because they are making room in the infield for prospects Scott Kingery and J.P. Crawford. However, the Angels would probably have to part with one of their top prospects to get him."

He'd certainly cost us, but I'd be willing to listen to anyone on our farm not named Jones or Thaiss. Acquiring a cheap, switch-hitting, young 2B with MLB success and good offensive and defensive skills would take care of that position for the foreseeable future.

14 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Writes the Fletch, "Hernandez is 26 and arbitration-eligible for the first time this winter. The Phillies might be willing to move him because they are making room in the infield for prospects Scott Kingery and J.P. Crawford. However, the Angels would probably have to part with one of their top prospects to get him."

He'd certainly cost us, but I'd be willing to listen to anyone on our farm not named Jones or Thaiss. Acquiring a cheap, switch-hitting, young 2B with MLB success and good offensive and defensive skills would take care of that position for the foreseeable future.

Thanks for the info...but pass if it meant trading Cron, Thaiss or Jones.

Could David Fletcher be a similar player in the future? 

5 minutes ago, ksangel said:

Thanks for the info...but pass if it meant trading Cron, Thaiss or Jones.

Could David Fletcher be a similar player in the future? 

I'm thinking Smith, Ward, Hermosillo...someone from that group. Maybe because Klentak is more familiar with the Angels farm than most he'd settle for more of a quantity over quality package and take something from the likes of the Mahle, Barria, Long, Fletcher, Middleton ranks. 

I agree that I wouldn't want to move Jones (because I think he's the real deal and all we have), Thaiss (who is too close to contributing) or Cron (don't think he's what the Phillies would seek anyways) for Hernandez. 

David Fletcher doesn't seem like he'd have quite the offensive ceiling that Hernandez does, nor would he be a switch-hitter. 

12 minutes ago, totdprods said:

He'd certainly cost us, but I'd be willing to listen to anyone on our farm not named Jones or Thaiss.

Unfortunately, it probably would.

6 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

I'd also be hesitant to trade Middleton.

Me too. In a potential Hernandez deal, after ruling out Thaiss or Jones, Middleton is the only one I'd cringe over. If he was a key component, I'd probably look to loop in a third team at that point and expand the deal to bring something else our way. We would have had to sign Chapman or Jansen, and even then I'd be supremely hesitant to move Middleton.

I'd like to think Ward or Hermosillo and one of Smith, Barria, Long, would be enough of a maximum price. Definitely wouldn't start there. 

So far, Eppler has shown a willingness to trade holdovers from the last regime if they carry value and don't fit his philosophy. Newcomb, Ellis, Alcantara....

The last prospects that hold value but may not fit his specific mold are Taylor Ward and Grayson Long. If we do end up dealing prospects, you can expect them to be included.

But as far as 2B goes, I'm steering clear of Neil Walker. Back injuries can derail a promising career as it did Dallas McPherson and Joe Crede.

If we're waiting on a prospect to step in and take over, there are a few options. Sherman Johnson is ok with the glove and can run. Alex Yarbrough is ok with the bat, ok with with glove, but overall, probably not great. David Fletcher is brilliant with the glove and adequate with the bat. He's probably our best bet. Cowart might be decent. He might roll with Petit and Pennington who are both capable defenders and can put the ball in play.