• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

I lost track

ABC

3 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

They're definitely going to sign another arm, especially with Richards and Skaggs being injury risks.

I really do like a Richards/Shoemaker/Skaggs combo to open up our rotation. If we can get a Hill or Hellickson for #4 and have Nolasco at #5. I love it. 

Honestly, I think the Angels have the makings of an excellent rotation that will never be. Richards/Shoe/Skaggs/Heaney even Mayer is an electric mix of young and effective arms but with so many question marks we could very easily find ourselves in a similar situation as last year where Weaver - or his 2016 edition - is the only guy actually still in the rotation come September.

On Tuesday, November 08, 2016 at 2:31 PM, mtangelsfan said:

IMO a Rich Hill signing would be just like signing GMJ, a career journeyman who had one good year get him ridiculous money from a solid GM.

A dumb move.

Hill seems to be the type of pitcher who finally figures it out late, and becomes successful from that point on.

9 minutes ago, ELEVEN said:

Hill seems to be the type of pitcher who finally figures it out late, and becomes successful from that point on.

He's 37, he doesn't have much 'from that point on' left. I'm having a really hard time envisioning him as a starting pitcher.
He hasn't thrown a full season in a decade. If he had done this over an actual full season, I'd be interested, but the guy barely made it to 100 IP. 

8289678041ec

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

He's 37, he doesn't have much 'from that point on' left. I'm having a really hard time envisioning him as a starting pitcher. He hasn't thrown a full season in a decade.

If he had done this over an actual full season, I'd be interested, but the guy barely made it to 100 IP. 

8289678041ec

This is also why we can afford to take a flyer on him. 

2 hours ago, ELEVEN said:

This is also why we can afford to take a flyer on him. 

Except he isn't going to be affordable.

If one of Shoemaker, Richards, or Skaggs didn't have health question marks I would have some more interest in pursuing Hill. Given the fragility of our rotation depth and the current state of the pen, I'd prioritize 180-200 durable, middle of the road innings over 110 dynamic innings, otherwise you're stuck figuring out mid-season where you're going to find 90 quality innings. 

On some teams, that'd be no problem. For the Angels as they're set up currently, you'd be relying on filling those 90 innings with guys who weren't good enough to make our already decimated staff. Maybe they wind up being good and things go our way? Maybe it's Lincecum/Chacin Pt. 2? Either way it's an extremely expensive two or three year gamble on a guy who hasn't completed a full season in a major league rotation since the Bush administration, and we haven't had much luck rolling the dice on expensive gambles recently. 

I know it's a lot of ifs, and I don't think it's wise to plan for insane hypothetical scenarios, but if any combination of Richards' UCL popping, Skaggs continued recovery issues, or Hill's blister problems continue, you're looking at a potential 2016 SP fiasco again. I'm much more intrigued by our pitching depth of Meyer, Banuelos, Campos, Wright, etc this year, but you can't really say that any of them are any better off remaining healthy. 

Put as much distance from the SP depth nightmare of '16. Play it safe, maintain payroll flexibility. This team isn't far off.

1 minute ago, Glen said:

Shoemaker is also a big question mark. It could be very tough for him to bounce back after what happened to him.

I remember that there were concerns with Shoemaker's usage of the splitter being hard on his elbow as well. And as good as he was for 75% of last season, I still have some concern about him picking up where he left off, especially coming off the skull fracture. He was really, really bad to start last season.