• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official MLB Hot Stove Thread (no Angels rumors or news here)

Docwaukee

1 minute ago, Dochalo said:

walker seems like the second coming of chris carter.  

eibner seems more like an eppler guy although not sure of his defensive abilities.  

We could probably use either one for AAA

Yes, major Chris Carter vibes coming off Walker. That'd be okay. Even if he just floats in an awkward AAAA state in '17-'18, he'd probably put up some gaudy numbers and be an interesting throw-in for a trade, and maybe, just maybe, he turns into another Cron-type for depth. Is it someone we need? Definitely not, but it'd be a great move for filling out SLC with a legit power source. I don't think there's a single person on the same, except Marte now, that could put up 10+ HRs there. 

Don't know much on Eibner either, but he's looked great the last two years in AAA. It's time to address our AAA depth.

4 hours ago, totdprods said:

The Orioles DFAed Adam Walker to make room for Trumbo.

Walker is a big dude, 6'5", 225, right handed hitter with massive power and a ton of K's. Most of his time has been in right field, but he's seen some time in LF as well. Could probably learn some 1B. Just turned 25. The Twins have bumped him up a level each year, and he's been consistent year in and year out - usually hitting around his career line of .250/.310/.486/.796. That's actually the exact same line Marte put up in Anaheim last year, give or take a digit. 

Would love to see the Angels get Walker and stick him in LF in Salt Lake. He would put up huge numbers and function as great trade bait or a potential LF option next year, and make any potential Cron/Marte/Thaiss deal that comes up a little easier to swallow. It would be a move with 2018 more in mind, but Eppler just did that by signing Valbuena.

I saw he was DFA and thought he could be a nice pickup for AAA and in case of future. Big Power and Extra Base guy also misses a ton of pitches!...... Gotta like that power though! Overall, his OBP isn't bad for a guy that hits in the 230-240 approx. .305 considering Trumbo and others have posted lower in the .290's here!

2 hours ago, totdprods said:

Braves have signed Kurt Suzuki, probably knocking them out of the Wieters race.

Really an interesting market for Wieters....Boras seems to pull a rabbit out of his hat just when you think a market has evaporated.....but you have to wonder....who is left?  I thought the Braves were his likely landing spot....Maybe a 2 year deal? Would also give you some depth at DH, maybe even 1B if Pujols is out longer than anticipated....

4 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Really an interesting market for Wieters....Boras seems to pull a rabbit out of his hat just when you think a market has evaporated.....but you have to wonder....who is left?  I thought the Braves were his likely landing spot....Maybe a 2 year deal? Would also give you some depth at DH, maybe even 1B if Pujols is out longer than anticipated....

I'm all aboard the Wieters train at this point. Stack the MLB team with as much of this bargain talent as you can. You'll strike gold occasionally (see our first Bobby Abreu deal) and if not, none of these contracts are so insurmountable you can't deal them or cut them without hurting yourself too much. 

You're in good shape if your bench is comprised of guys who very likely would be everyday starters on most teams, even more so if you have two guys in AAA (Marte, Perez) who arguably should be as well. 

As for who else could come into play for Wieters, we're at a point now where it could be anyone's guess. There aren't many teams who have a clear-cut need for a full-time C that would be willing to take the risk on Wieters, so he's probably going to need to find a team with 1B/DH at-bats. The Angels still feel like a pretty good match under that scenario, as neither Maldonado/Perez scream starting catcher yet. They're a great tandem though. The A's seem like the type of team that makes move like this late in the offseason too, grabbing a bargain for a midseason flip. They have enough roster versatility to make it work. Will the M's be satisfied with giving Zunino the shot full-time? Will Valencia and Vogelbach be enough for them at 1B? If his price tag is low enough I could see the Orioles coming back in as well. Maybe the Phillies? The Rangers have a weird grab-bag of 1B/DH bats, and Wieters would benefit from games in Arlington. He'd maybe be a better bet than Napoli. The Rays have had some of the worst catching production in baseball recently, and Ramos won't be ready to start the year. It'd be awkward for two catchers trying to re-establish their value there at the same time though. I flatly have no idea who Omar Narvaez or Kevan Smith are, but apparently, they're the tandem the White Sox are rolling out. So Wieters could probably fit there. 

1 hour ago, John Smith said:

5 minutes ago

What is it with the Orioles and players who can hit a bit, but whose defensive shortcomings make them marginal talent?

It's not a great sign for Johnny G's future that was the best he could get though. Schoop will be the O's starting second baseman and it's hard to give a bench spot to an infielder who can't play shortstop. Hope it works out for him though.

2 hours ago, Oz27 said:

What is it with the Orioles and players who can hit a bit, but whose defensive shortcomings make them marginal talent?

It's not a great sign for Johnny G's future that was the best he could get though. Schoop will be the O's starting second baseman and it's hard to give a bench spot to an infielder who can't play shortstop. Hope it works out for him though.

I felt like it was an even worse sign for his career that he lost his job to cliff pennington.  

19 hours ago, Oz27 said:

Adam Jones was talking about the O's needing to upgrade their Corner Defense last week.... I don't know where a player that can only play one spot can effect the club that greatly short of being in a negative aspect. Johnny G isn't going to beat out Schoop.... So, other than the financial side I really don't understand signing there as the playing time if he makes the team won't be a whole lot.