• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Bringing in your best relief pitcher

m0nkey

17 minutes ago, Homebrewer said:

It's interesting to see how many here are fans of not having set roles, since the vast majority of posters here seem pretty comfortable with having Scioscia manage out his contract.

Seems a bit incongruous to me. 

so people have to agree with 100% of a manager's decisions in order to like him? 

i really don't think it's a matter of wanting him to manage out his contract, but rather, they :

1. have no idea who would be his replacement 

2. are resigned to the fact that he won't be fired so they don't obsess over it

On 10/14/2016 at 8:18 PM, disarcina said:

watching that Dodgers -Nats game and seeing Dave Roberts bringing Jansen in at a very critical point of the game in the 7th and then having Kershaw. the ace, close - and I realize it's a playoff game -- but mixing things up and having players placed in something different than their 'traditional' or 'assigned' roles depending on the game situation is something that I don't think ever occurs to Mike Scioscia as a move a manager can make.

oh - not Sosh -- we use this guy in the 7th, this guy as the set up guy and this guy closes and never shall anything change here -

Props to Dave Roberts. He's manager of the year in my book.  Not a Dogs fan since O'Malley sold the team but I like Dave Roberts..........

I would agree if Roberts had ever done this in the regular season. 

Also, in 2009 vs NY, Weaver started Game 3 and came out of the bullpen in Games 5 & 6

in Game 5, after NY had scored 6 runs in the top of the 7th, we came back and scored 3 runs in the bottom of the inning to take a 7-6 lead. Weaver came in and pitched a 1-2-3 8th. 

It was nice to see Roberts follow Scioscia's lead. 

Edited by Lou

20 minutes ago, Lou said:

so people have to agree with 100% of a manager's decisions in order to like him? 

i really don't think it's a matter of wanting him to manage out his contract, but rather, they :

1. have no idea who would be his replacement 

2. are resigned to the fact that he won't be fired so they don't obsess over it

Nobody said anyone has to agree 100%, and nobody is "obsessing".

Scioscias overall basic philosophy, and he has said it numerous times over the years, is that players need to know exactly what is going to be expected of them when they get to the ballpark. He strongly believes in "consistency" because that is what he liked as a player, and he wants his players to be "comfortable, and know their roles" 

you made a direct relationship between people here not wanting pitchers to have set roles and those same people wanting him to finish out his contract as being incongruous.

and if you are telling me that you don't obsess over Scioscia, 

lol

26 minutes ago, Lou said:

you made a direct relationship between people here not wanting pitchers to have set roles and those same people wanting him to finish out his contract as being incongruous.

and if you are telling me that you don't obsess over Scioscia, 

lol

My opinion of the man's managerial style is well known, but this is my first mention of Scioscia in many months.

16 minutes ago, Homebrewer said:

I knew when you didn't respond for a couple hours what you were doing.

Hope it was fun for you.

it took me 45 minutes to respond ( after taking you an hour to respond to me )

during that time I went to Rite Aid, picked up my mom's meds, had some ice cream and made it back. 

the ice cream was fun 

6 hours ago, Homebrewer said:

Nobody said anyone has to agree 100%, and nobody is "obsessing".

Scioscias overall basic philosophy, and he has said it numerous times over the years, is that players need to know exactly what is going to be expected of them when they get to the ballpark. He strongly believes in "consistency" because that is what he liked as a player, and he wants his players to be "comfortable, and know their roles" 

He's said it about as many times as players have said they like set roles in the bullpen.  

4 hours ago, Lou said:

it took me 45 minutes to respond ( after taking you an hour to respond to me )

during that time I went to Rite Aid, picked up my mom's meds, had some ice cream and made it back. 

the ice cream was fun 

Was the ice cream Thrifty's that was the best back in the day. If I remember correctly I think you could but a triple scoop for like 50 cents 

5 minutes ago, Oz27 said:

Miller and Allen dominate yet again. But something something players need set roles something something.

Post game interview of Napoli...so Mike, do you have anything to say to Mike Scioscia who is again at home watching these post season games?

16 minutes ago, Oz27 said:

Miller and Allen dominate yet again. But something something players need set roles something something.

Allen hadn't pitched in the 7th inning all season 

sidenote:

9% of Allen's innings pitched this year were before the 9th inning.  

Street? 12% 

8 minutes ago, Lou said:

Allen hadn't pitched in the 7th inning all season 

sidenote:

9% of Allen's innings pitched this year were before the 9th inning.  

Street? 12% 

What's your point? I like the best relievers being brought in for key spots. Given Street was one of the Angels' worst relievers this season, I don't really get the comparison. Also, the only times Street came into a game before the ninth this year were situations where the Angels were losing and he pitched the eighth.