• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Cespedes anyone?

19HALO71

20 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Yep... We get a lefty bat hitting second (or we could move Walker to 5th and put Calhoun 2nd). 

Whoever loses the starting 1B job between Marte and Cron goes to the bench. Either way you get a power bat off the bench. 

I would probably hope for Cron to be the 1B, if that came to fruition.  Marte can benefit this team in a super utility role.

2 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

Doubtful will be seeing any $20MM plus contracts anytime soon. Trout and Pujols will be on the books for $61MM in 2018 and thereafter. 

Cespedes isn't happening IMO ... but yea, it would be nice. 

With three $20m contracts coming off this season and next between Weaver, Wilson, and Hamilton, and a boatload of needs without much to improve internally on trade market, I think there's a very good chance we see one this offseason or next, but probably not more than that unless the luxury tax threshold shoots way up or Arte decides differently.

10 minutes ago, DailyHalo said:

I like the short commitment and the addition of a left handed bat in the lineup. 

Markakis' lowest OBP ever in a single season over an 11-year career is .329. That would have been 4th on last year's team. 

He'd be a fantastic addition, and with his contract, Atlanta may give him up fairly cheaply.

Then again, that's pretty close to what Matt Joyce was.

7 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

Ian Desmond would also be on my radar.

Desmond was terrible half the season, and was very back and forth in years before. And he'll cost a draft pick. His price would to be very low for me to have interest....3-4 years and $10m-11m annually would be about as much as I would go, only because he has some positional versatility. He strikes out a ton, isn't going to hit more than 10-15 HRs as an Angel, and has averaged a whopping 100 OPS+ in his career. Exactly average.

His only advantage is we could use him at LF, 2B, and I don't know how much having that versatility is worth. 

I'm not a huge fan of Desmond. I'd rather pluck Gomez from their outfield but that could be just as risky. I'd personally, rather sign Reddick than Desmond. We need to explore as many Left handed options as we can. Shorter/cheaper deals before bigger lefty FA bats hit the market in the next couple of years. Players like Jay, Melky Cabrera or a 1-2 yr deal on Aoki as a backup to the backup type move. An average player in left will have a profound effect, compared to what the team has had out there for the last few season. 

2 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Desmond was terrible half the season, and was very back and forth in years before. And he'll cost a draft pick. His price would to be very low for me to have interest....3-4 years and $10m-11m annually would be about as much as I would go, only because he has some positional versatility. 

Draft pick? I wouldn't go more than 2 years/20MM. He's a 20+ HR guy with infield and outfield experience. He's a good clubhouse guy too. 

3 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

Draft pick? I wouldn't go more than 2 years/20MM. He's a 20+ HR guy with infield and outfield experience. He's a good clubhouse guy too. 

Texas will offer him a QO, I'd imagine. 2/20 sounds good, but someone is going to offer far more than that either in years, dollars, or both. It's also a lot easier to hit 20 in WSH/TEX than Anaheim. 

Too much risk for the cost. 

9 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Texas will offer him a QO, I'd imagine. 2/20 sounds good, but someone is going to offer far more than that either in years, dollars, or both. It's also a lot easier to hit 20 in WSH/TEX than Anaheim. 

Too much risk for the cost. 

I'm just saying, he would be on my radar ... along with 20 others. I'm not advocating any certain player yet. 

Anyways, there's no way Texas gives him a QO. 

1 minute ago, Troll Daddy said:

I'm just saying he would be on my radar ... along with 20 others. I'm not advocating any certain player yet. 

Abyways, there's no way Texas gives him a QO. 

It's been reported that they intend on offering him a QO and are very interested in bringing him back as well. That alone is going to drive his price past where we should go.

4 minutes ago, totdprods said:

It's been reported that they intend on offering him a QO and are very interested in bringing him back as well. That alone is going to drive his price past where we should go.

If you're right ... then I wouldn't bite. Although, Texas signed him on the cheap last season@8MM.

I think Cespedes and Jansen are the only QO-eligible players that I'd be willing to sacrifice a pick for. Maybe Justin Turner, maybe Dexter Fowler, but it'd be very dependent on their contract demands. I don't think Turner leaves the Dodgers, and I don't think Fowler is on their radar.

Guys like Walker, Fowler, Desmond, Hellickson, Trumbo, Ramos, Bautista, Encarnacion, Saunders I would pass on if they had QO's. 

Chapman, Hill, Reddick, Nova, Melancon, and Beltran won't have QO's and they're plenty to choose from should we go the 'big splash' route.

On 10/27/2016 at 3:55 PM, Troll Daddy said:

Doubtful will be seeing any $20MM plus contracts anytime soon. Trout and Pujols will be on the books for $61MM in 2018 and thereafter. 

Cespedes isn't happening IMO ... but yea, it would be nice. 

That may be True in their actual pay but only $48.3M applies toward the luxury tax. Their average salary over the life of their contracts is approximately $24M/year each.

12 minutes ago, Blarg said:

I doubt Chapman sees a day of free agency,  the Cubs will lock him up in their negotiation window. 

Even with Heyward's contract, the Cubs payroll isn't too bad.    It's likely guaranteed for them to keep Chapman.   Many of their young stars are still quite a ways from FA anyway.    

18 minutes ago, Blarg said:

I doubt Chapman sees a day of free agency,  the Cubs will lock him up in their negotiation window. 

I think it's pretty likely he remains a Cub, but I'd be surprised if he didn't make it to the open market. He knows there will be a ton of interest and money to be had. Cubs would have to offer something huge to keep him from that - which may happen.

19 minutes ago, 19HALO71 said:

Also, being that our first round pick is protected this year. I would think that this may be an opportunistic time to get that FA with a QO attached and make that big splash. We would be getting more bang for the buck.

Go Halos!!!

And hope he doesn't morph into Hackilton, Nibs, GMJHGH, etc. 

36 minutes ago, 19HALO71 said:

Also, being that our first round pick is protected this year. I would think that this may be an opportunistic time to get that FA with a QO attached and make that big splash. We would be getting more bang for the buck.

Go Halos!!!

To a degree. It depends on the FA. I think I'd prefer keeping our 2nd round pick over  most of the guys who will get a QO.

Chapman has already spent his time with second tier teams (Reds) I'm pretty sure he will want to stay with a front line club where his profile will be higher and his saves will lead to the post season and lots of exposure.

He's at the point in his career that he has to start thinking about HOF, and it's a lot easier if you go the the WS a time or 3..