• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Officially eliminated

Oz27

I wish people would stop pointing to the injuries in the rotation as the problem

The problem was that they had no depth, everyone keeps glazing over the fact that this team has by far the worst farm system in baseball.  Arte, past GMs and Scioscia in all their genius have completely set this team back.  Every team has injuries... the Dodgers lead the league in games lost on the DL and yet they will easily make the playoffs.

This was never going to be a good team, they were only slightly worse because of injuries.

20 minutes ago, nate said:

I wish people would stop pointing to the injuries in the rotation as the problem

The problem was that they had no depth, everyone keeps glazing over the fact that this team has by far the worst farm system in baseball.  Arte, past GMs and Scioscia in all their genius have completely set this team back.  Every team has injuries... the Dodgers lead the league in games lost on the DL and yet they will easily make the playoffs.

This was never going to be a good team, they were only slightly worse because of injuries.

This was a team where everything had to go right to be in wild card contention.  The injuries made it impossible.  While every team has injuries, not many have injuries to the three guys you would expect to be 1,2 and 3 in the rotation, as well as 5 all for most if not all of the season.  It is not a great season when Weaver is your most reliable starter and when he is your only starter to make every start.  As far as comparing the Dodgers to the Angels situation, I would proabaly put the NL West as the worst division in baseball.  

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

This was a team where everything had to go right to be in wild card contention.  The injuries made it impossible.  While every team has injuries, not many have injuries to the three guys you would expect to be 1,2 and 3 in the rotation, as well as 5 all for most if not all of the season.  It is not a great season when Weaver is your most reliable starter and when he is your only starter to make every start.  As far as comparing the Dodgers to the Angels situation, I would proabaly put the NL West as the worst division in baseball.  

What?  The Giants and Dodgers are both very good teams.

The Angels would still be in fourth place in that division too.

35 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Everything went right in 2014. We won a lot of games that we shouldn't have won. Then the playoffs hit us and we went full blown deer in headlights. Huge blown opportunity there. 

So in 2016 everything had to go right again? That doesn't happen very often. 

My question to you Strad is if we had Weaver, Shoemaker, Trop, Heaney, Richards, Santiago to start the season how did we fall 7.5 games back so quickly in May? The injuries kicked in but we had already dug a hole.

Heaney was 0-1 with a 6.00 era so we don't know if he was even going to be good this season.

I would say sample size.  Shoe started off horribly and he got sent down.  When he came back he was great until the come backer.  The team never hit stride and before they could really get out of the gates the injuries started to pile up.  We started the season with at least bench players that made sense, but the left field and 2nd base were awful.  Gentry and Nava never got healthy or produced.  Perez wasn't as good as last year.  Gia improved defensively but the clutch hits he had last year never materialized this year, to no ones surprise.  

In 2014 hitters 2-9 were awful in the playoffs.  Not everything went right in 2014, don't you remember we had a bullpen game every fifth day for the last 4 plus weeks.  We also had injuries to guys like Hamilton.  Yes 2014 was a wasted opportunity.  

13 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I would say sample size.  Shoe started off horribly and he got sent down.  When he came back he was great until the come backer.  The team never hit stride and before they could really get out of the gates the injuries started to pile up.  We started the season with at least bench players that made sense, but the left field and 2nd base were awful.  Gentry and Nava never got healthy or produced.  Perez wasn't as good as last year.  Gia improved defensively but the clutch hits he had last year never materialized this year, to no ones surprise.  

In 2014 hitters 2-9 were awful in the playoffs.  Not everything went right in 2014, don't you remember we had a bullpen game every fifth day for the last 4 plus weeks.  We also had injuries to guys like Hamilton.  Yes 2014 was a wasted opportunity.  

Well in 2002 everything went right. Winning a championship is a tough thing to do. Arte has tried to buy a championship but failed miserably at that but at the very least these guys should've been more competitive when you factor in the money spent so he's letting Eppler pick up the pieces with what's left of the resources. He's getting smarter with his money by not grabbing on to the next new toy that becomes available.

3 minutes ago, CALZONE said:

Well in 2002 everything went right. Winning a championship is a tough thing to do. Arte has tried to buy a championship but failed miserably at that but at the very least these guys should've been more competitive when you factor in the money spent so he's letting Eppler pick up the pieces with what's left of the resources. He's getting smarter with his money by not grabbing on to the next new toy that becomes available.

Sure, or he could sign useful players that will help his team win.  He has been all or nothing, which is a really shitty.  On top of that he hasn't had a GM that can build a farm, but you and I both share the same optimism that Eppler might be the guy that changes that.  

On 9/12/2016 at 9:21 AM, nate said:

When we broke camp in the spring, I said that as constructed the Angels were a sub-.500 team. I haven't seen anything that has changed my mind about my assessment of six months ago. Granted, injuries have made it worse, but this was never going to be a winning team. Virtually nothing was done to address the paltry offensive production of 2015, and IMO that was one of the main issues going into the season. The pitching should have been decent but not great. A team that doesn't score runs doesn't win with a barely adequate pitching staff.

6 minutes ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

When we broke camp in the spring, I said that as constructed the Angels were a sub-.500 team. I haven't seen anything that has changed my mind about my assessment of six months ago. Granted, injuries have made it worse, but this was never going to be a winning team. Virtually nothing was done to address the paltry offensive production of 2015, and IMO that was one of the main issues going into the season. The pitching should have been decent but not great. A team that doesn't score runs doesn't win with a barely adequate pitching staff.

Our offense ended up okay, we are 18th in runs scored at 640 so right around average. But we always figured to have rotation problems, even before the injuries, and the bullpen is terrible. At full health we may have ended up on the right side of .500 but we sure as hell weren't winning the division.

On 9/12/2016 at 9:46 AM, Stradling said:

Didn't the Rangers lose like their big guns last year?  I know they lost Darvish and Holland.  Just looking at their stats, they only had 2 people (Lewis, Gallardo) over 30 games started, and 1 other person (Nick Martinez 21 games) over 20 games.  This year is the same for the Rangers, 1 person over 30 games started (Perez), 2 other players over 20 games started (Hamels, Griffin). 

While this season has been especially brutal for us.  It's just been as hard for other teams.  But they have depth and make trades to make up for it.  We have done neither.  And the Rangers have won the west despite their injuries.

25 minutes ago, Stradling said:

You fucking love all of this failure.  

No but I do find it amusing that some people here want the team to try to win while others want them to lose on purpose. Then we have a ton of in- house GM's that year after year post all of the ways that we can fix the team but it never happens. Strad do you really think that the players care that you care. I'm pretty sure that they don't give a rats ass about our opinions here.