• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Future 1B logjam - Pujols, Cron, Thaiss

8 minutes ago, CALZONE said:

Then Cron sucks too. DFA him!

IP said through his prime. CJ Cron is hopefully just about to enter his. But CJ Cron hasn't been good through his career thus far. There is also a difference between not good and should be DFAd.

If CJ has a career .300 OBP in 5 years I'd hope he's not playing for the Angels.

1 hour ago, Kevinb said:

So I guess an 844 OPS this year pretty shit for Trumbo. 

Kendrys last year had a 847 OPS last year. 

I don't know what their WAR is but I guess bad is bad. Are we talking Michael Jackson Bad status? I just hope you do the moon walk. 

Kendry's OPS's since he left the Angels

Trumbo's OPS's since he left the Angels

So, yea, I stand by my comment that they have been more bad than good.  Especially Morales. 

The only thing that could've kept us out of last this year was if Richards, Heaney and Tropeano never got hurt, and Skaggs returned by May. The only thing that could've put us in first is if all that happened, plus Street, Smith and Morin were in great form.

Even with our weak LF situation, if they stayed healthy, the Angels likely could have been in first right now.

8 hours ago, Stradling said:

So, yea, I stand by my comment that they have been more bad than good.  Especially Morales. 

Trumbo's numbers seem to be headed in the right direction though

5 hours ago, Angels N Skins said:

Trumbo's numbers seem to be headed in the right direction though

He had a very flukey first half this year. Was basically mashing everything. Basically, he had a small spike in fly ball percentage and a HUGE spike in HR-to-Fly ratio (especailly compared to his last two seasons. He's also pulling more than he has in the past. That means he was hittin' dem home runs at a crazy rate (even for him), which made everyone forget that he's been a SUCH a superfund site in the field that he's only cobbled together a WAR of just over 1. 

15 hours ago, Lou said:

lol he said "since he left"  Anyone can cherrypick a season.

In 2014, Morales' ops was .612

That same year, Trumbo put up an ops of .707, which coincidentally equal to Kolton Wong's career high ops. 

Similar to you guys cherry picking since random date to random date so and so has been good. Just checking. 

16 hours ago, Stradling said:

Kendry's OPS's since he left the Angels

Kendrys's one year with an OPS over .800 he wins a ring.

So, this year Trumbo either:

1. Wins a ring

or

2. Doesn't have an .800 or better OPS by the end of the season.

I'd probably bet on # 2.

1 hour ago, zenmaster said:

Remember 4 months ago when we thought we'd have a log jam at SP? How'd that work out?

Richards, Heaney, WIlson, Shoemaker, Tropeano, Weaver, Skaggs, 

Exactly. A productive Pujols, Thaiss, and Cron seems to me like a best case scenario, not a problem. I hope that's a "problem" we have to deal with. These things tend to work themselves out.

The Angels had great depth entering the year. Richards, Heaney, Shoe, Skaggs, Tropeano, Santiago, Weaver, Wilson is a very solid group of starters. Should've been a top 5 in the AL at least. No team can suffer losing four starters to season ending injuries and another missing half the season.

I don't put this on Eppler at all.  But next year's staff should be on him. I think we'll have Richards, Skaggs, Meyer, Nolasco, Oberholtzer and Smith. Even if things work out perfectly and Richards, Skaggs and Meyer pitch like a 1-2-3, it still leaves us with a weak back end and little depth beyond Kyle MGowin and Chris O'Grady if he stays in the AAA rotation.

I think more than likely, Richards isn't as explosive as before (like Tanaka wasn't when he first recovered, Skaggs is solid, Meyer will be brilliant, yet inconsistent. I don't anticipate Nolasco making it past July. 

I think we need another starter or two.

49 minutes ago, ScottyA_MWAH said:

The Angels had great depth entering the year. Richards, Heaney, Shoe, Skaggs, Tropeano, Santiago, Weaver, Wilson is a very solid group of starters. Should've been a top 5 in the AL at least. No team can suffer losing four starters to season ending injuries and another missing half the season.

I don't put this on Eppler at all.  But next year's staff should be on him. I think we'll have Richards, Skaggs, Meyer, Nolasco, Oberholtzer and Smith. Even if things work out perfectly and Richards, Skaggs and Meyer pitch like a 1-2-3, it still leaves us with a weak back end and little depth beyond Kyle MGowin and Chris O'Grady if he stays in the AAA rotation.

I think more than likely, Richards isn't as explosive as before (like Tanaka wasn't when he first recovered, Skaggs is solid, Meyer will be brilliant, yet inconsistent. I don't anticipate Nolasco making it past July. 

I think we need another starter or two.

Top 5 seems overly optimistic. This team had a below average ERA+ last season and only added Skaggs into the rotation. I think it's putting way too much pressure on a kid coming off Tommy John to drag this rotation into the top 5 even if everyone else was healthy. Especially when the kids had never posted an ERA+ above 90 in his career.

17 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

Top 5 seems overly optimistic. This team had a below average ERA+ last season and only added Skaggs into the rotation. I think it's putting way too much pressure on a kid coming off Tommy John to drag this rotation into the top 5 even if everyone else was healthy. Especially when the kids had never posted an ERA+ above 90 in his career.

That ERA+ was with Richards on the comeback trail all season.  When he's healthy, he's an ace, and he was healthy this year.  Plus we're looking at Heaney giving us a full year and coming into his own as a pitcher this year.  Plus Shoemaker just wasn't himself at all last year, and we got to see practically none of Tropeano.

So if we ignore Richards, Heaney, Shoemaker, Tropeano and Skaggs, then yeah, our ERA+ would likely remain static.  But we don't ignore those guys.  If healthy, that's our starting five, and if healthy, I put that starting five against pretty much any staff in the AL. 

You're assuming everyone improves and pitches at their potential or near it. That almost never happens. It also assumes Weaver and Wilson would have been bumped from the rotation or pitched well. The rotation was built entirely on potential. It certainly could have been great if everyone took a leap but isn't that true of any big league rotation? 

Cron and Trumbo are one and the same, for the most part.   HR hitters who don't walk very much, who have long slumps, and don't play all that well in the field (aside from Trumbo's throwing arm).   Trumbo has hit some HRs further than Cron has, and that's the only real difference at the plate.