• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2016 Trade Deadline Analysis

ettin

26 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

The real downside of this deal is that I look at Meyer and think the most likely outcome is that we gave Santiago away for nothing. This is a very similar deal to the Callaspo for Grant Green trade. At the time we were excited to get a first rounder with a slick scouting report for an expiring contract. Unfortunately teams don't just give guys like Meyer away when everything is OK. Obviously they have decided that he is pushing 27 and can't stay healthy as a starter. 

I think the right move would've been to try and extend Santiago to a team friendly deal, say 4/$50m. Meyer's upside is probably not too far off from Santiago really.

You're right, teams don't give away a pitcher like Meyers unless there's a catch at some point.

Twins really didn't want to trade Meyers. The motivation mainly came from getting out of Nolasco's terrible contract. I doubt if they keep Santiago for 2017. They'll flip him in the off season for a Kershaw type prospect or something close. Lol

The other catch is there's some risk involved ... Heaney, Tropeano, and Skaggs say HI

59 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

It is.  Which means that we are using our available currency for what I think is a lost season.  But in order to find a guy who is major league ready and has upside for Santiago, you get a guy who also has no control, is going to be 27 and has had a cup of coffee in the bigs.  On top of that, he's thrown 21 innings because of shoulder issues.  

Well anything can look bad when you view it through that sense.  You could also say that statistically, he's one of the better pitching prospects from the last five years.  You can say he is a starter with high-90's heat and a couple of solid off-speed pitches he can throw for strikes.  You can say he has the body type that can sustain a heavy workload across multiple seasons, and that he can be a great starter or great reliever.

I think the truth is somewhere in the middle.  We got a 27 year old injured starter with elite upside and pedigree and 5+ years of inexpensive team control.

1 minute ago, ScottyA_MWAH said:

Well anything can look bad when you view it through that sense.  You could also say that statistically, he's one of the better pitching prospects from the last five years.  You can say he is a starter with high-90's heat and a couple of solid off-speed pitches he can throw for strikes.  You can say he has the body type that can sustain a heavy workload across multiple seasons, and that he can be a great starter or great reliever.

I think the truth is somewhere in the middle.  We got a 27 year old injured starter with elite upside and pedigree and 5+ years of inexpensive team control.

I am viewing it realistically.  He's got a tremendous arm yet he's 27 and hasn't been able to figure it out.  Maybe because of injury.  Maybe because he's just not good enough to.  Being a starter has caused him shoulder problems which he is still dealing with so calling him a starter is not realistic.  If he had the body type to sustain a heavy workload, why hasn't he?  He's got 479 ip in his 5 professional seasons.  

There are red flags all over this guy.  

I am not focusing on this stuff because I want this guy to fail.  In fact, it's the complete opposite.  I am focusing on it because we gave up a major league avg starter with another year of control for this guy.  

But what's done is done.  So I'll sit on a horseshoe and root for Alex Meyer 

Santiago gave a good feeling as the Angels starter for the day.  Shoemaker gives a relieved feeling as seeing his face as the starter for today.  And Skaggs, yeah baby, looking forward to seeing his face for his next start on the board!  Between 2016 and 17, I won't have the same feeling toward Nolasco as I did Santiago.  

6 hours ago, ScottyA_MWAH said:

The more I look at it, the more I realize that Eppler may have had a stroke of genius in bringing in Meyer. The only thing that has ever stopped him from putting up top of the rotation numbers is injury. If he's healthy, he should be good. 

This is an amazing leap of faith.  It's pretty clear he has injury problems and control problems and his progress has stalled for 3 years now.   Twins are last place in their division yet still are willing to let him go just to get rid of Nolasco, I think that means something.  If there was any possibility at all that he could be a starter, and be better than Santiago, why would the Twins make this trade?

11 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Anyone remember the bear and the rabbit joke from Eddie Murphy raw?

That was "Delirious," not "Raw" 

A Bear and a Rabbit are taking a sh*t in the woods.  The bears turns to the rabbit and says, "excuse me, do you have a problem with sh*t sticking to your fur?"  And the rabbit says, "no!"  So the bear wiped his ass with the rabbit.   

20 hours ago, well_red said:

This is an amazing leap of faith.  It's pretty clear he has injury problems and control problems and his progress has stalled for 3 years now.   Twins are last place in their division yet still are willing to let him go just to get rid of Nolasco, I think that means something.  If there was any possibility at all that he could be a starter, and be better than Santiago, why would the Twins make this trade?

because they're stupid

after all, they're in last place