• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Garrett Richards won't pitch again in 2016 for Angels

gotbeer

14 hours ago, Angels#1Fan said:

BTW..Walter Johnson only had one pitch his first ten years in MLB.

He didn't even develop a curve until he was well into his 30's.

He never would have survived with only a 82/83 fast ball those ten years.

Sorry, I'm not buying it.

YMMV

You honestly believe Walter Johnson could pitch nothing but a fastball today and still be successful? No pitcher, not even Nolan Ryan, Pedro Martinez or Randy Johnson could survive on only the fastball.

A cutter, maybe, like Mariano. But a straight fastball? No. Johnson wouldn't make it out of the first inning. 

1 hour ago, ScottyA_MWAH said:

You honestly believe Walter Johnson could pitch nothing but a fastball today and still be successful?

I think your comprehension needs a little work Scotty..I didn't say anything remotely close to that.

What I said was that Walter Johnson threw one pitch (a fastball) for about his first 10 years in MLB and that he developed a curve in his 30's.

I'll reiterate..the notion that Walter Johnson only threw 82/83 is not believable..sorry Scotty I'm not buying it..

BTW..you might recall former Card/Pirate/Dodger/Astro/Angel pitcher Jerry Reuss? He got by for most of his career (about 20 years) with only a fastball. He had a cut fastball (that he added while with the Dodgers) and a sinking fastball that he threw for the first part of his career. That was in the 70's & 80's so maybe you don't consider that as modern times? He won over 200 games in his career with just a fastball. I'd consider that "successful". Perhaps you are of the opinion he couldn't do that today? ymmv

1 minute ago, Angels#1Fan said:

I think your comprehension needs a little work Scotty..I didn't say anything remotely close to that.

What I said was that Walter Johnson threw one pitch (a fastball) for about his first 10 years in MLB and that he developed a curve in his 30's.

I'll reiterate..the notion that Walter Johnson only threw 82/83 is not believable..sorry Scotty I'm not buying it..

BTW..you might recall former Card/Pirate/Dodger/Astro/Angel pitcher Jerry Reuss? He got by for most of his career (about 20 years) with only a fastball. He had a cut fastball and a sinking fastball. That was in the 70's & 80's so maybe you don't consider that as modern times? He won over 200 games in his career with just a fastball. I'd consider that "successful". Perhaps you are of the opinion he couldn't do that today? ymmv

Walter Johnson threw a Jered Weaver fastball and that's it. And you glorify him like he's dominate today. By the evidence already laid out in front of you, continuing to pretend Walter Johnson would be a great pitcher today with only a fastball either makes you stupid or nostalgic.

Id like to believe the best in you, do we'll pretend you aren't stupid. Then you're blinded by nostalgia. The cool thing about this is whether or not you believe players today are better than they were or not, it won't change the fact that it's true.

So stick with that lie if it makes you happy, and ignore every evidence from every sport that supports the fact that athletes are better now than they were. It likely isn't genetics, it's just modern quality of life, a larger pool to pick from and the miracle of modern medicine. But regardless, the best players from today, have an advantage and disadvantage over guys from the 1920's. They play against the best in world today, and the best in the world catalyze on every advantage. In the 1920's, the played against a very specific player. He had to be white, he had to have the luxury of not working full time so that he could play, and by and large, he had to grow up near a major populated city or travel to play in that city.

Against that competition, Walter Johnson was great. Against that competition, Randy Johnson would've thrown something stupid 50 career no hitters.

22 minutes ago, ScottyA_MWAH said:

Walter Johnson threw a Jered Weaver fastball and that's it. And you glorify him like he's dominate today. By the evidence already laid out in front of you, continuing to pretend Walter Johnson would be a great pitcher.

Like has been stated, the 83 mph reading  has been pretty much been debunked.  Based on modern techniques, his pitch into the metal plate would have closer to 94

22 minutes ago, ScottyA_MWAH said:

Walter Johnson threw a Jered Weaver fastball and that's it. And you glorify him like he's dominate today. By the evidence already laid out in front of you, continuing to pretend Walter Johnson would be a great pitcher today with only a fastball either makes you stupid or nostalgic.

ROTFL!!

Well Scotty, you're good at the insults..I'll give you that, but if you think Walter Johnson only threw 82/83 you're delusional or your study that cultivated that nonsense is!

Evidence? LOL You don't have any evidence that would approach any kind of acceptable credibility.

I'm not going to pretend that I know how fast Walter Johnson could throw, but the notion that he only threw 82/83 is laughable.

"Walter Johnson couldn't get out of the first inning today"..You're killing me Scotty. lol

14 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

Like has been stated, the 83 mph reading  has been pretty much been debunked.  Based on modern techniques, his pitch into the metal plate would have closer to 94

Both Scotty and Angels#1Fan really need to watch Fastball. All of the questions in their argument are discussed and essentially answered in it. 

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 9:51 AM, ScottyA_MWAH said:

You honestly believe Walter Johnson could pitch nothing but a fastball today and still be successful? No pitcher, not even Nolan Ryan, Pedro Martinez or Randy Johnson could survive on only the fastball.

A cutter, maybe, like Mariano. But a straight fastball? No. Johnson wouldn't make it out of the first inning. 

Didn't Washburn pitch solidly for 4 seasons here despite really only throwing fastballs?   Granted, he had four different movements on them.   

Tweets

Garrett Richards will test elbow, and have a follow up with an ultrasound within two weeks to see if he can pitch

On August 1, 2016 at 11:52 AM, calscuf said:

Yes, will you dummies just watch Fastball and STFU?

It's a really good movie, fun and enlightening.

Good post.  I also brought it the last time the discussion over fastball speed came up.  I don't know why they can't just watch the damn movie.

In the next 10-14 days, the plan on placing Richards' elbow under stress tests. Then they'll ultrasound to get final OK to throw.