• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Playoffs or Protected Pick

Playoffs or Protected Pick  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather the Angels make the playoffs this year or get a top ten protected pick?

• Playoffs
    • Protected Pick

Which would you prefer?  You know nothing about how they will fair in the playoffs or what kind of player they will draft.  You don't know if they will have to trade what little assets they have now to get the pieces to get to the playoffs, or if they stand pat and just go on a miraculous run. You also don't know if they sold off players at the deadline and still went on the run.  All you know is playoffs or protected pick.  

2 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Thats an easy question. 

Would you rather get a BJ from a '7' this week, or a date with an '8' next year?

More like: Would you rather get a beej in 2016, or get punched in the face but you also get a jelly bean that you don't know the flavor of but it could be really good?

I don't think you play for the protected pick, I say you play your best and if you think you are out of it (I believe they are out of it) then you trade assets to get younger assets.  You don't play to lose, but if you trade for the future that is fine.  At least that is my opinion.

12 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

More like: Would you rather get a beej in 2016, or get punched in the face but you also get a jelly bean that you don't know the flavor of but it could be really good?

It's more like would you rather get a beej from the tooth fairy or a protected first round pick.

4 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

Well, we aren't making the playoffs, so it's a very easy decision.

Protected pick.

If we need to throw games to guarantee a protected pick, no way. As long as we play to win every game and still fall short and get a protected pick fine, otherwise no.   

38 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Which would you prefer?  You know nothing about how they will fair in the playoffs or what kind of player they will draft.  You don't know if they will have to trade what little assets they have now to get the pieces to get to the playoffs, or if they stand pat and just go on a miraculous run. You also don't know if they sold off players at the deadline and still went on the run.  All you know is playoffs or protected pick.  

Tread water until 2018  when the rotation will hopefully look like this: Richards, Heaney, Skaggs, Tropeano, and either Santiago or Shoemaker.

40 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I obviously agree, I just know we have a lot of people on here that want the rebuild or retool to start and so they might see it as another year or two before the rebuild would happen.  

But I think where your missing the point is. The rebuild or retool people still there end game is for us to get in the playoffs. So I would think playoffs would win out easily. Mostly I think the retool or rebuild people want to do that because they think it's the fastest way to get to the playoffs and to sustain it long term. I think another way to ask it would be would you rather make the playoffs this year or miss the playoffs for 3 years but for the three years after that make the playoffs but I don't know I'm just spouting stuff now haha

It's a moot question anyways.  There is no one in this years FA'cy class that will be given a QO that is worth losing a pick over.  Probably only Cespedes, and I'm sure Trumbo will get one.  But this years FA class is pretty brutal.  So with that logic.  Moreno will probably spend this offseason, instead of the last one that was quite excellent.

I'd also like to get a protected pick, which have a higher chance at being a quality MLBer, than get eliminated in the one game wildcard.  And that is thinking the polyana rainbows and unicorn coming out our ass resulting in world peace best case scenario.