• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Looking back at the 1995 & 1997 MLB Draft

In the 1995 MLB draft the Angels had the 1st pick & the 1st one in the 2nd round after finishing with the worst record in the league.

The Angels select Darin Erstad with the 1st pick (1st overall) & select Jarrod Washburn with their 2nd round pick (31st overall).

In 1997 the Angels had the 3rd overall pick & select Troy Glaus.

If not for injuries that eventually ended his career, Glaus could have had the highest career WAR of 1997 1st round picks.

So finishing 'Last' in 1994 & having the 3rd worst record in 1996 helped them win a championship in 2002.

2 hours ago, Scioscia4MVP said:

In the 1995 MLB draft the Angels had the 1st pick & the 1st one in the 2nd round after finishing with the worst record in the league.

The Angels select Darin Erstad with the 1st pick (1st overall) & select Jarrod Washburn with their 2nd round pick (31st overall).

In 1997 the Angels had the 3rd overall pick & select Troy Glaus.

If not for injuries that eventually ended his career, Glaus could have had the highest career WAR of 1997 1st round picks.

So finishing 'Last' in 1994 & having the 3rd worst record in 1996 helped them win a championship in 2002.

So did drafting Salmon in the 3rd, GA in the 4th, Percival in the 6th and signing another former 6th round pick who had been been cut loose by his former team.

31 minutes ago, Lou said:

So did drafting Salmon in the 3rd, GA in the 4th, Percival in the 6th and signing another former 6th round pick who had been been cut loose by his former team.

Yes true. Though who would they have picked in 1995 & 1997 if they instead had late 1st round & late 2nd round picks ?

If you look at the 1995 1st round selections only 3 of them had career WAR over 30 including Helton, Halladay & Erstad.

In the 2nd round only 2 players had 25 WAR or more. Carlos Beltran & Jarrod Washburn.

Higher chance of success with high picks in each round.

1 hour ago, arch stanton said:

So you should take this insightful data to the Angels clubhouse and explain to them that if they throw a few games there is a chance they might win a World Series in 5-7 years. 

Troy Glaus debuted in 1998 the following season after being drafted in 1997 but his 2nd year in 1999 he had a 3.1 WAR season & the year after that he had a 7.8 WAR season slugging 47 HRs, 112 walks & 1.008 OPS.

Suppose they finish 3rd worse this year, draft a college player who reaches the majors in 1 to 2 years & has a impact in year 2 or 3 which would be the 2019 or 2020 season & hopefully they do well enough to impress Trout to re-sign.

18 minutes ago, Scioscia4MVP said:

Troy Glaus debuted in 1998 the following season after being drafted in 1997 but his 2nd year in 1999 he had a 3.1 WAR season & the year after that he had a 7.8 WAR season slugging 47 HRs, 112 walks & 1.008 OPS.

Suppose they finish 3rd worse this year, draft a college player who reaches the majors in 1 to 2 years & has a impact in year 2 or 3 which would be the 2019 or 2020 season & hopefully they do well enough to impress Trout to re-sign.

The Angels regime of the past 10 years or so would never allow a high profile collegiate player they just drafted to reach the majors in only one year. 

The absolute quickest they would allow a position player to climb is 2 years, but the normal is 3-4. It doesn't matter if such and such player us ready, they're trying to keep arbitration costs down and have to 100% sure the future of their franchise is ready. 

Trout is basically a once in a lifetime player, and dominated the moment he stepped on the field in Arizona, they kept him down 2-3 years before promoting him for good.

1 hour ago, Scioscia4MVP said:

My point was that this team isn't 3rd pick in the draft bad. They would have to tank it to go that low and that's not going to happen. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the higher your pick is the better chance you have of getting a stud but in baseball you only get that pick if you earn it through a full season of suckage. It's not like basketball where the already dominant Lakers can draft James Worthy first overall.

4 hours ago, arch stanton said:

My point was that this team isn't 3rd pick in the draft bad. They would have to tank it to go that low and that's not going to happen. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the higher your pick is the better chance you have of getting a stud but in baseball you only get that pick if you earn it through a full season of suckage. It's not like basketball where the already dominant Lakers can draft James Worthy first overall.

There are no MLB franchises as dumb as the NBA ones that gifted the Lakers TWO #1 overall picks in a span of 4 drafts (1979 - Magic, 1982 - Worthy).

7 hours ago, ScottyA_MWAH said:

The Angels regime of the past 10 years or so would never allow a high profile collegiate player they just drafted to reach the majors in only one year. 

The absolute quickest they would allow a position player to climb is 2 years, but the normal is 3-4. It doesn't matter if such and such player us ready, they're trying to keep arbitration costs down and have to 100% sure the future of their franchise is ready. 

Trout is basically a once in a lifetime player, and dominated the moment he stepped on the field in Arizona, they kept him down 2-3 years before promoting him for good.

Trout debuted as a 19 year old.  The only reason he didn't start the season on the team the following season is he was sick during spring training.  I'm guessing most people would be shocked to hear Trout was brought up for good just 8 games into that season.  The Angels did nothing wrong with Trout's progression, he wasn't held back by a conservative approach.  Now if Trout came up as a 19 year old and just blew up the majors like he did the following year then you could ask the question, "could he have done that earlier?"  That wasn't the case, he hit .220 or something close to that.  

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

Scott Spezza had as many rbi as Glaus in the world series. He also had the most dramatic at bat in game six that turned the tide.  He was a 6th round pick of the A's. 

Erstad had a monster season in 2000.....beyond that, he was good, not great, if that is what you would expect the first pick in the draft to be....he was, and is, a very good guy who was a good player....I don't think he was the difference in winning the Series in 2002...he certainly wasn't Mike Trout....you could argue that Salmon, GA and Edmonds, all his OF contemporaries with the Angels, had better careers..

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

Trout debuted as a 19 year old.  The only reason he didn't start the season on the team the following season is he was sick during spring training.  I'm guessing most people would be shocked to hear Trout was brought up for good just 8 games into that season.  The Angels did nothing wrong with Trout's progression, he wasn't held back by a conservative approach.  Now if Trout came up as a 19 year old and just blew up the majors like he did the following year then you could ask the question, "could he have done that earlier?"  That wasn't the case, he hit .220 or something close to that.  

I don't disagree with you here but I think it's important to note that while Trout did hit just .220, he - as he does now - did everything well. If you were to project out his war for a full season he would've been a 3.5 war player. Obviously that isn't star level, but it is worthy of a starting spot as an above average regular.

19 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I don't disagree with you here but I think it's important to note that while Trout did hit just .220, he - as he does now - did everything well. If you were to project out his war for a full season he would've been a 3.5 war player. Obviously that isn't star level, but it is worthy of a starting spot as an above average regular.

Yes and he got that, minus 8 games to start a season in which he was sick during spring training. 

9 hours ago, arch stanton said:

As a showtime junky i approve of this 

Wish albert could be kareem in his old man years. And appear in airplane.

4 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

There are no MLB franchises as dumb as the NBA ones that gifted the Lakers TWO #1 overall picks in a span of 4 drafts (1979 - Magic, 1982 - Worthy).

Magic was a coin toss. Back then it was still a lottery, not how it is today. I think kobe for vlade works better. Or maybe nixon for scott.

1 hour ago, DMVol said:

Erstad had a monster season in 2000.....beyond that, he was good, not great, if that is what you would expect the first pick in the draft to be....he was, and is, a very good guy who was a good player....I don't think he was the difference in winning the Series in 2002...he certainly wasn't Mike Trout....you could argue that Salmon, GA and Edmonds, all his OF contemporaries with the Angels, had better careers..

Agreed. But erstad was pretty good in the 90s too, sans 99. Not arguing he didnt live up to the hype, but he was still a really solid player for us (just not first overall pick good)

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

People like to say Trout would've started the year with the Angels and it's just as false now as it was then. The team was still trying to guage where Vernon Wells/Bobby Abreu (I think it was just Wells but it may have been both) were at. When it was clear they weren't going to hit while Trout was hitting .400 in AAA, the Angels made the move. Had the veterans actually hit, the Angels probably would have kept Trout in AAA much longer.

6 minutes ago, ScottyA_MWAH said:

People like to say Trout would've started the year with the Angels and it's just as false now as it was then. The team was still trying to guage where Vernon Wells/Bobby Abreu (I think it was just Wells but it may have been both) were at. When it was clear they weren't going to hit while Trout was hitting .400 in AAA, the Angels made the move. Had the veterans actually hit, the Angels probably would have kept Trout in AAA much longer.

Agreed. I think they wanted to delay his clock and the hope was that the big money veterans were gonna provide more than enough offense.