• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Will Santiago Be an Ace Next Year?

Revad

11 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

Santiago is a back end starter who is pretty inconsistent. If he is your teams ace, you don't have a good starting pitching staff. 

As a back end starter, I'm not complaining. His ERA usually does tend to outperform his peripherals, which is pretty interesting. It's happened with Weaver as well over the past 5 years. But Santiago is not someone I would trust in a playoff series.

Much better ... so you don't put much trade value in him to a contender. Therefore, you don't expect much in return. 

10 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

There have been many pitchers like Santiago who are talented but inconsistent. Most of them never take the next step and I haven't seen anything to make me think Santiago will buck the trend.

That said, a team like the Orioles might give up a grade B prospect for him.

You might be right ... he has far more value to the team than a grade B prospect. You can get that next season. 

Am I that blind?  We're talking about an established left harder in the middle of the rotation, right? You might like him for a 4/5 but look around.  Replace him, I doubt you could find a guy for less than a ridulous contract, and prospects if it's not just FA.  Hello, pay the price now and save in the future.

2 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

You might be right ... he has far more value to the team than a grade B prospect. You can get that next season. 

Why does he have more value to us than Baltimore? Baltimore has a shit this year and is more likely to compete next year too. A win now it's worth far more than a win for the Angels now. If anything the opposite of your statement is true.

18 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

Why does he have more value to us than Baltimore? Baltimore has a shit this year and is more likely to compete next year too. A win now it's worth far more than a win for the Angels now. If anything the opposite of your statement is true.

Baltimore without Trumbo and Weiters next season are not much better than the Angels.

I've spent a bit of time recently checking out Twins and Braves message boards recently to see if they get the same amount of posts along the lines of "keep player X because we might contend next year" or "we can't trade X because how do we replace him next year" that we get here. For the record ... no, no they don't.

2 minutes ago, Oz27 said:

The O's are 15 games ahead of us halfway through the season. They are better than us by an incredibly long way, even if they do lose a couple of players.

You're alway quick to criticize ... we'll see what their team looks like next season without two of their best players and what the lifeless Angels look like in 2017. Their window to win is now ... except they can use some help in the pitching department.

2 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

The O's have one of the best pens in baseball this year. 

Their 8-9 guys make ours look like one armed lepers with AIDS.

Their three best relievers would all be our best and their fourth might be better than any of ours too. They have four hitters better than our second best hitter. Yeah, they're a lot better than us.

2 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

You're alway quick to criticize ... we'll see what their team looks like next season without two of their best players and what the lifeless Angels look like in 2017. Their window to win is now ... except they can use some help in the pitching department.

Trumbo and Weiters have been worth 2.6 wins to them so far this season, so we'll bump them down to 12 wins better than us over half a season? But of course they'll either be brought back or replaced by other players.

1 minute ago, Oz27 said:

Trumbo and Weiters have been worth 2.6 wins to them so far this season, so we'll bump them down to 12 wins better than us over half a season? But of course they'll either be brought back or replaced by other players.

Kind of glad you brought that up ... keep your day job. 

The thing people are missing about Santiago is the reason for his inconsistency. Watch his good games then watch his bad ones, the difference almost always comes down to velocity.

When he is hitting 95/96 with his fastball he shuts teams out. When he's around 91/93 he starts walking guys, throwing a lot of pitches and getting hit hard.

A large part of this can be explained by rest and fatigue. Last night he was lighting up the radar gun, unsurprisingly it's the first game back after the all star break. The last couple of seasons he has started out the year very well and then fallen back to earth as the season progressed. 

28 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

In case you haven't noticed ... things can change fast in baseball. Btw the Yankees have a couple of good arms in the pen. 

Things can change fast in baseball? That's neat. 

The Orioles still have a better bullpen by a wide margin.

4 hours ago, Revad said:

I woulnot want to be playing the Angels right now or nenext year if I were a manager,  there is plenty of talent and a lot of strength do not underestimate this team.  Give me Reddick and a couple of BP arms. Wild card is definitely realistic.

Put down the drugs, son.

4 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

There have been many pitchers like Santiago who are talented but inconsistent. Most of them never take the next step and I haven't seen anything to make me think Santiago will buck the trend.

That said, a team like the Orioles might give up a grade B prospect for him.

The Orioles gave up Arrieta and Pedro Strop for half a season of Scott Feldman -- there is always one team that gets desperate at the deadline.