• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Steve Klauke vs. Terry Smith

Steve Klauke vs. Terry Smith  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Who you like better on the radio?

• Steve Klauke
    • Terry Smith

Steve Klauke --heard him on the radio broadcast in the past -- he's pretty good.  He's the SLC pbp guy, right?

Perhaps they can promote Klauke to the Halos and he can be a combo pbp  TV/ radio guy on radio for three innings to give Rojas and Smith a break......could even take over the color commentator position when not doing pbp duties......move Guby to the pre or post game show...........

Terry's getting a little stale. The same things over and over.

"...and THAT...will...end the inning" is one example. The same canned responses to recurring game situations.

The thing that drives me crazy is when he returns from a commercial he usually doesn't give the score until halfway through the inning.

Otherwise, he's okay. Flauke is good too, but nothing exceptional.

5 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

"...and THAT...will...end the inning" is one example. The same canned responses to recurring game situations.

The thing that drives me crazy is when he returns from a commercial he usually doesn't give the score until halfway through the inning.

Not knowing the score is probably for the best.

On a related point, does every friggin' moment in the game need to be brought to us by some advertiser or another?

"This scoring update brought to you by", "this call to the bullpen...", "this half-inning..." and on and on. And Langston does a horrible impression of a squawking parrot on those rum commercials. 

I agree that the radio side should give the game score early in each inning and often......gotta do that -- Scully always did that......"Four nothing Dodgers to start the top of the fifth here as the Giants All Star catcher, Buster Posey steps to the plate to lead off the fifth............"

As for the 'here's the Rolaids go to the pen for relief, Salas on for the Angels -- might need some pepto bismo here........" and Angels scoreboard brought to you by Budweiser......etc.

that's been going on for quite a while now -- welcome to the world of naming opportunities for every conceivable thing as a revenue stream for the franchise......that's not going to change any time soon........even if a team gets a broadcasting deal like the one the Dodgers have now -- the one that paid the Dodgers franchise a ton of money but keeps all their games off TV for a majority of the LA basin viewing area.........

1 hour ago, fan_since79 said:

He is doing his part to increase listenership. If you knew the score right away, you would immediately tune to another station.

I listened to him the other day.  In a couple inning span, the halos hit 4 fly balls and everyone one of them was a hr call until they were caught 'just shy' of the warning track.  

you can tell he announces a ton of games at SLC.  

Not a huge Smith fan.  The score thing drives me bonkers.  There no depth in the commentary from any of our announcers frankly.  Stories about the players.  Insight into the stats.  What happens in practice with the players etc.  It's pretty boiler plate across the board.  

Victor is the best we got by far.  Good personality.  Easy to listen to.  Doesn't sugar coat too often.  Could stand to give a little more prepared detail, but that should come from the analyst and we all know Gubi isn't going to be bringing that any time soon.  

13 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

And also from Smith when the opponent hits one out...."and that one is gonnneeee."

Klauke has a solid inflection in his voice that creates a little more excitement.   

Klauke  is more old school radio without a color commentator. He is giving you the game to see in your head rather than having an inane conversation with the buffoon in the second chair.

Color commentating ruins radio when the pair want to wander away from the game and leave the listener wondering what just happened,  you heard a ball hit and a crowd reaction but the anecdote is more important to the booth guys than the game. 

I would not miss Smith nor Langston if they replaced them both with one guy that brings the game to the listener. 

And Gubi is just plain non stop ear fucking. 

My only complaint with Terry is that he doesn't give the score often enough. There have been occasions when he doesn't even give it when coming back after an inning..very annoying if you're just tuning in. Otherwise I like him well enough. I think Langston does a real good job and would miss him if he were to leave. IMO, the radio team is better than the TV crew..Gubi is just unnecessary punishment I don't wish to subject myself to.

BTW..I find it hard to believe that there isn't a former Angel color guy around to do the TV broadcasts instead of Gubi who belongs back in KC.

16 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

On a related point, does every friggin' moment in the game need to be brought to us by some advertiser or another?

"This scoring update brought to you by", "this call to the bullpen...", "this half-inning..." and on and on. And Langston does a horrible impression of a squawking parrot on those rum commercials. 

The Angels could make bank if they got a sponsor for every runner stranded in scoring position.

There's no Rory Markas in the bunch.

Langston's analysis is better than Gubicza's.  

I think Terry is better on TV, where the score is always on the screen.

So with the people we have I'd take Terry and Gubi on TV, and Klauke and Langston on radio.

Victor kind of bores me.  Don't know why.  I felt the same way about Physioc.  Another is Rick Monday for the Dodgers.  

Mota talks too much so please don't make him an analyst.  He could do Innings 3-6 play-by-play on radio if he doesn't talk the rest of the game.