• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

A Shoe-In for a Trade?

6 minutes ago, ScottyA_MWAH said:

The issue is, if we trade him, who replaces him going forward? Next year we're already going without Weaver and Wilson, there's a decent chance there's no Richards or Heaney too.

That leaves us with Tropeano, Skaggs, Santiago, Nate Smith and ____. It also leaves us with virtually no depth. This year is a perfect example why a pitching staff needs to be at minimum 8 deep.

If we don't have Richards or Heaney I don't think it really matters who we have. We can fill out our rotation/depth with Chacin's. Gamble on guys in free agency coming off injuries.

7 minutes ago, ScottyA_MWAH said:

The issue is, if we trade him, who replaces him going forward? Next year we're already going without Weaver and Wilson, there's a decent chance there's no Richards or Heaney too.

That leaves us with Tropeano, Skaggs, Santiago, Nate Smith and ____. It also leaves us with virtually no depth. This year is a perfect example why a pitching staff needs to be at minimum 8 deep.

That's kind of the point of trading him. He doesn't really move the needle because the staff as a whole sucks with or without him, so does it really matter if we win 68 vs. 72 games next year? Plus I'm not convinced that he's turned the corner as opposed to just riding a hot streak. I say trade him while his value's at its peak. 

36 minutes ago, AngelsFaninGA said:

That's kind of the point of trading him. He doesn't really move the needle because the staff as a whole sucks with or without him, so does it really matter if we win 68 vs. 72 games next year? Plus I'm not convinced that he's turned the corner as opposed to just riding a hot streak. I say trade him while his value's at its peak. 

It's how the Cardinals and the Braves, during the Schuerholz years, stayed successful for extended periods of time....knowing when to trade a guy....Some on the board were suggesting trading Santiago last year at the deadline and I thought that was dumb...in hindsight, well, it doesn't look like such a bad idea....If my baseball people think Shoe has figured it out, I'd keep him....If they tell me he can't sustain what he's doing, I'd strike now....I don't pretend to have any kind of acumen for that stuff but it's why you hire smart people to run your club (and not do things like sign Josh Hamilton on your own)....

1 hour ago, Lawrence said:

"Progressive healing" sounds like some type of new age alternative medicine.

Richards, the club’s 28-year-old ace, was considered “asymptomatic,” Eppler added, and he is scheduled to be reevaluated in six weeks.

HUH??? Asymptomatic???? 

Asymptomatic means the person has recovered from a condition and no longer has symptoms.

So Richards shows no sign of a torn ligament????

Sounds like voodoo magic or B.S.

5 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

I can see it happening. 

What are some contending teams that desperately need SP?

The one down the road, for one.

The one close to you, for another. If they don't get one soon, they'll fall out of contention. 

The Marlins (I know, Marlins and contention in the same sentence...who'da thunk it?), and the Red Sox both need depth in their rotations.

It's pretty easy to say that anything of value needs to be traded.  However, what exactly are we going to get in return for the value that departs?  No one can make the choice of trade or no trade until we have something definitive in that regard.  Taking a lot of flyers on young minor leaguers not proven yet in the majors could end up setting the organization back even further if not done properly.  Yes, it's fine to gamble to a certain extent, but not completely unless you are very confident in the swap.

17 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

I can see it happening. 

What are some contending teams that desperately need SP?

At that value and performance since May 11, shot out of a cannon, all contenders across the board want him!  

Most impressive is the pitching efficiency and stamina he's developing for in the process. The Angels have a high-priced leverage for him under the present conditions.

Yet, at 29, should they be building off him, instead?

The best moment's opportunity to sieze for Shoe is NOW, not in the off-season, by his present bargain value.  Texas, who lost 60% of their rotation recently, with abundant offense, will probably give up Profar for him.  Would you want him with Simmons as your middle infield years ahead?  That is just scratching at the surface with this discussion, too.  

14 hours ago, ksangel said:

Richards, the club’s 28-year-old ace, was considered “asymptomatic,” Eppler added, and he is scheduled to be reevaluated in six weeks.

HUH??? Asymptomatic???? 

Asymptomatic means the person has recovered from a condition and no longer has symptoms.

So Richards shows no sign of a torn ligament????

Sounds like voodoo magic or B.S.

That might be encoraging, yet discouraging.  "A" preceding any word in medical terms usually signals bad or threatening, rather.  ALS, Lou Gerhig's Disease, for example - Amyotropic Lateral Sclerosis - which "myotrropic" is muscle.   

16 hours ago, DMVol said:

Might want to uncross your fingers and read the Sports page this morning....

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/progressive-720750-garrett-ultrasound.html

I don't mean to pee on anybody's parade here, but SHUT THEM DOWN FOR THE SEASON.  There's no pressure on them, just play out the season with what you have now, and come back next year. Unfortunate and frustrating with the development as is, considering the promising depth that was showing even, protect your assets instead.

There is no way a team is trading someone like Profar for Shoemaker this July.

He had a great '14 and an incredible 8 starts this year, but he's also looked awful and is near 30 years old, without any semblance of a prospect pedigree.

Even if he keeps this up for a couple more starts in July I can't see any team giving us the blue-chip prospect for him - yet.

I'll roll the dice, keep him this year. If he keeps it up, he could become the best pitcher available this offseason in an exceptionally thin FA SP class. We could get a massive return. One that legitimately reboots the farm. Why not take that chance? 

Furthermore, if he keeps it up and Richards and Heaney somehow come back next year, we could have a damn good rotation quickly. 

I wouldn't take Profar for Shoe.  I want someone who doesn't have a history of being injured.  Now I don't know what the injuries are, so they could be freak injuries that aren't indicitive of being injury prone, but my guess is that since he is missing most of two seasons it is pretty big deal.  If I am moving Shoe I go to the contenders that feel they are an arm away and look at thier minor league depth and find the best package I can get of ready for the majors next season talent. 

9 hours ago, Jeff Williams said:

The best moment's opportunity to sieze for Shoe is NOW, not in the off-season, by his present bargain value.  Texas, who lost 60% of their rotation recently, with abundant offense, will probably give up Profar for him.  Would you want him with Simmons as your middle infield years ahead?  That is just scratching at the surface with this discussion, too.  

Isn't Profar now mainly a 1B?

Or is he a utility guy?

Next year's rotation without any trades or free agent signings

Matt Shoemaker
Tyler Skaggs
Nick Tropeano
Hector Santiago
Nate Smith

With an improved offense (hopefully) next year and a complete season of Shoemaker pitching like he has in his last 8 starts he could be a 20 game winner.

He could fall flat on his face and revert back to his AAA pitcher he was last year and earlier this year. It's a crap shoot.

5 hours ago, Ace_Shoemaker? said:

Next year's rotation without any trades or free agent signings

Matt Shoemaker
Tyler Skaggs
Nick Tropeano
Hector Santiago
Nate Smith

With an improved offense (hopefully) next year and a complete season of Shoemaker pitching like he has in his last 8 starts he could be a 20 game winner.

He could fall flat on his face and revert back to his AAA pitcher he was last year and earlier this year. It's a crap shoot.

I wouldn't count on Skaggs or Smith.

The Angels need to acquire a starting pitcher or two for 2017.

1 hour ago, Angels#1Fan said:

...The Angels need to acquire a starting pitcher or two for 2017.

I was hopefully we'd get lucky with Lincecum and/or Chacin and maybe they'd sign an extension but, so far, doesn't look promising....

3 hours ago, Angels#1Fan said:

The Angels need to acquire a starting pitcher or two for 2017.

I agree 100% and think this needs to be as much a priority as bringing in another bat. With Eppler forging ahead with a retool in mind and the team at least trying to compete next year, it needs to be addressed this offseason. 

Here's a wacky idea - what about looking at CC Sabathia? NYY may consider dealing him, and by eating salary he would cost us less in prospects. Would add an arm for next year while GR and Heaney are on the shelf, and could be trade-bait next offseason. There'd have to be some creativity to make the money work without the Angels giving up much prospect wise, but in the form of a pure salary dump it could have some legs.

35 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I agree 100% and think this needs to be as much a priority as bringing in another bat. With Eppler forging ahead with a retool in mind and the team at least trying to compete next year, it needs to be addressed this offseason. 

Here's a wacky idea - what about looking at CC Sabathia? NYY may consider dealing him, and by eating salary he would cost us less in prospects. Would add an arm for next year while GR and Heaney are on the shelf, and could be trade-bait next offseason. There'd have to be some creativity to make the money work without the Angels giving up much prospect wise, but in the form of a pure salary dump it could have some legs.

If we are that desperate for starting pitching I suggest we take a look at CJ Wilson.  He should be well rested after a year and half off.

7 minutes ago, stormngt said:

If we are that desperate for starting pitching I suggest we take a look at CJ Wilson.  He should be well rested after a year and half off.

I think CJ is a goner but I could see the Angels at least offering a ST invite to Weaver if he doesn't decide to retire before the year is through.

We need another arm or two for next year, and absorbing a contract like Sabathia for '16-'17 fits that timeframe and won't cost draft picks or major prospects while filling a need. He's been a lot better this year, and shifting away from the AL East may help.