• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Josh Hamilton Career Over?

Just now, Troll Daddy said:

Why?

There's a similar discussion in another thread now but I'm 99 per cent sure we are one of the teams which opts not to pay for insurance on our contracts. I can't find it but I'm pretty sure I remember stories being done on us choosing not to insure the Hamilton deal.

32 minutes ago, Oz27 said:

There's a similar discussion in another thread now but I'm 99 per cent sure we are one of the teams which opts not to pay for insurance on our contracts. I can't find it but I'm pretty sure I remember stories being done on us choosing not to insure the Hamilton deal.

the angels.

not the sharpest tool in the shed of baseball organizations.

12 minutes ago, mrwicked said:

the angels.

not the sharpest tool in the shed of baseball organizations.

I don't know where I stand on contract insurance. Some teams insure every contract, some insure a few and some insure none. I haven't seen any evidence to say which one is best. Insuring contracts is a REALLY expensive thing to do.

5 years/125 million for that bum. yikes. hope arte learned a really valuable lesson the hard way from this one.

that said, signing such a high risk guy as hamilton and NOT insuring him would have been even more stupid than the years and money they gave him. are we sure his contract wasn't insured?

The reason the Angels and most teams don't insure contracts is its 50 cents on the dollar to insure.  So that would mean you pay for Josh 5 years $192.5 million, if he never misses an entire season.  It might have made since to insure contracts back in the day but now that we're talking hundreds of millions it's not really reasonable.  

10 minutes ago, Stradling said:

The reason the Angels and most teams don't insure contracts is its 50 cents on the dollar to insure.  So that would mean you pay for Josh 5 years $192.5 million, if he never misses an entire season.  It might have made since to insure contracts back in the day but now that we're talking hundreds of millions it's not really reasonable.  

It varies in that you can get policies to cover 50 per cent of a contract, or much more than that. Some only kick in if a player misses an entire season, others kick in if he misses a couple of months. So my understanding is the costs vary considerably but without good numbers to back it up I would be thinking not insuring is the best way to go.

8 hours ago, CALZONE said:

Josh Hamilton will never play MLB again. He doesn't want to play again and the Rangers don't want him. He's a post steroid mess that Arte is going to continue paying for this season and next. 

Like I said it's over but it's not really over bc hes not going to leave 25+ million on the table next season.