• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Padres exec rips his team and calls them 'miserable failures'

Chuck

50 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/padres-exec-rips-his-team-and-calls-them-miserable-failures/

I wonder if Arte would ever say something like this if the team got that bad?

He said he understood why Ray Kroc took the microphone when he first took over ownership team on the 70's and apologized to the fans for the lousy ball playing.  Kroc later apologized, probably because MLB made him do it.

At least he lets his baseball people run the show.  

Honestly I'd like to see Arte lose his temper in similar fashion.  In recent years he has been hunkered in the bunker, as if he's lost the war and it's only a matter of time before he cashes in his chips and leaves the problems to the next owner.

5 minutes ago, California Cajun said:

Honestly I'd like to see Arte lose his temper in similar fashion.  In recent years he has been hunkered in the bunker, as if he's lost the war and it's only a matter of time before he cashes in his chips and leaves the problems to the next owner.

What's he supposed to do? Yell at a mirror?

I can't Arte saying that. Calling anyone a miserable failure, let alone in the media, is so beyond the pale as to be extraordinary. I mean if an anonymous nobody said that on the message board it'd be bad enough. But someone that is part of the team and essentially part of a family and accountable to say that? To basically question their worth as men? And to top it off from an organization that hasn't been successful since God knows when? I hope he looks forward to his future endeavors outside the organization.

Remember Tony Tavares' tirade on the Angels?

" He is prone to outbursts, physical and verbal. He once admonished the Angels for having "too many players who look as if they came from Newport Beach, where their daddies and mommies gave them everything they ever wanted." Some have referred to him as a West Coast version of George Steinbrenner. "

http://articles.latimes.com/1997-05-15/sports/sp-58858_1_mighty-ducks

11 minutes ago, Lawrence said:

What's he supposed to do? Yell at a mirror?

I think he has made some costly mistakes and has cut the budget to pay for them.  You used to hear from him once in a while and not so much any more.

The full interview is at this site http://www.mighty1090.com/episode/ron-fowler-its-been-embarrassing/

22 minutes ago, Billy_Ball said:

" He is prone to outbursts, physical and verbal. He once admonished the Angels for having "too many players who look as if they came from Newport Beach, where their daddies and mommies gave them everything they ever wanted." Some have referred to him as a West Coast version of George Steinbrenner. "

Maybe Arte should give him a call.

"His approach has been conservative, deliberate and certainly fiscally responsible. Instead of spending millions on big-name free agents--and taking risks that might blow up in his face--Tavares has been trying to build with draft picks and, especially with the Angels, to beef up the farm system."

23 minutes ago, Billy_Ball said:

"I've been told by people that I'll never have a heart attack," Tavares said, "because I don't carry around a lot of burdens."

1 hour ago, California Cajun said:

He said he understood why Ray Kroc took the microphone when he first took over ownership team on the 70's and apologized to the fans for the lousy ball playing.  Kroc later apologized, probably because MLB made him do it.

At least he lets his baseball people run the show.  

I don't totally agree with this, except for the part about Arte Moreno.    It's like he's given up, not a peep from him since that December night aboard his yacht. 

17 hours ago, ScottT said:

Arte rips players when they break agreements.  He just wants his players to be accountable.  

Yep, and then he trades them to a division rival and continues to pay a vast majority of their salary.

This article is about a horses ass in San Diego whinning about their team reflecting the immeasurable incompetence of the people that put it together. And they have been incompetent for 10 years and haven't even found a way to use the draft to improve themselves. It's like they are the anti rebuild where they can't ever make anything work even by stripping the team of assets and starting over. They are always starting over. Poorly .

The entire front office should explore sepuku as their next rebuild strategy.

9 hours ago, Blarg said:

This article is about a horses ass in San Diego whinning about their team reflecting the immeasurable incompetence of the people that put it together. And they have been incompetent for 10 years and haven't even found a way to use the draft to improve themselves. It's like they are the anti rebuild where they can't ever make anything work even by stripping the team of assets and starting over. They are always starting over. Poorly .

The entire front office should explore sepuku as their next rebuild strategy.

i'm not sure where the 10 years part is associated. if it's the padres organization, then they've been incompetent since their inception. if it's the current ownership, then they've only been around for a few years.