• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Rays fan struck by foul ball that went through netting

ScottT

Here's an idea, stop tweeting that you're at the game, put down the phone and actually watch the freakin' game. That would cut down on fan injuries by 90%

TRUTH!! The whole social media "Hey, look where I am" is thinning the herd! Which could be a good thing~

Edited by SlappyUtilityGuy

Way to blame the fan. Yes, a lot of fans don't pay attention, but even if they are...those balls are coming at them at very high speeds and they're often very hard to see. There isn't a lot of time to react and with that many people around you it's not that easy to get out of the way even if you do see that it's coming at you. Heck, the players get hit from time to time, and they're trained to react fast.

And fans who are sitting behind the net one probably think they're safe.

Edited by AngelsSurfer

The only time I have seen anyone seriously injured by a batted ball, the woman was busy talking to her friends and not watching the game. We were sitting down the left field line (I was about four seats further down the line on the same row), and a right handed hitter smacked a hot liner foul into the stands. The ball caught her flush on the side of the head. The ironic thing was that had I been sitting maybe half a dozen seats further up the line, I probably would have caught the ball and saved her injury. I had my glove at the park that night.

When I was a kid my dad took two friends and me to a game against the Twins. We were just past the first base dug out and about 5 rows up. Dave Winfield pulled a line drive foul ball 2 rows back and about 3 seats over. We barely ducked. The guy in that seat had his shirt off and held up his shirt with both hands to block the ball. Dave Winfield was a like six and a half feet tall and an athletic freak who pulled a line drive about as hard as he could. The shirt didn't stop the ball.

Sometimes there's nothing a fan can do.

When I was a kid my dad took two friends and me to a game against the Twins. We were just past the first base dug out and about 5 rows up. Dave Winfield pulled a line drive foul ball 2 rows back and about 3 seats over. We barely ducked. The guy in that seat had his shirt off and held up his shirt with both hands to block the ball. Dave Winfield was a like six and a half feet tall and an athletic freak who pulled a line drive about as hard as he could. The shirt didn't stop the ball.

Sometimes there's nothing a fan can do.

Exactly. We've already discussed this in another thread. Yes foul balls are part of the game, but if they can make seats safer I'm all for it. I'd also be in favor of replacing the heavy black thread like net with something equally strong but perhaps less obtrusive, I'm thinking something similar to fishing line.