• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Unsolicited job contact of the month

Since you guys have been all over the west, I always throw these things out here when I get contacts from headhunters about open upper management positions. This one is for a quick care clinic. The description says "northern San Joaquin valley", but everything that I read points to Stockton. I have heard many things about Stockton - that housing costs are relatively low, but it has a high violent crime rate. I also know that there are other places in the general area to live even if the job is in Stockton, as I suspect (like Lodi, for example).

What can you guys tell me about this general area? I have never visited northern California (other than staying for a couple of nights in a condo in Truckee and circumnavigating Lake Tahoe), and I only know what I have read.

This is just an initial contact, so we are nowhere near the salary negotiation part. There hasn't been an offer, but I am open to doing something different for the right offer.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

Vegas, Stockton is the worst city in California. It's horrendous. You'd probably be better off living in one of the suburbs of Damascus.

i appreciate your frankness. I'm guessing that this is one reason that they have headhunters recruiting well out of the area for candidates. I suppose that they are hoping that someone will say "wow, California" and just jump on it. I have been around the block a few too many times to jump without doing some research.

Stockton makes Oakland look like a resort.

Living high above the SJV, and watching Fresno based local stations, many times "Northern SJV" refers to Merced.

Many of the areas underserved by hospitals (like the town where I live) are getting urgent care places (geared to exploit Obamacare)

It could be in the Sierra foothill communities (Oakhurst, Mariposa, Sonora) and if that's the case, hey...life up here is pretty good.

Rural and slow paced, would be a bit of culture shock after Vegas. 

And of course you would be subject to the California taxes and fees that has so many fleeing that state.

This would be heavily factored in to any salary negotiations. They would have to exceed my current salary by at least half for me to even continue the discussion.

Stockton makes Oakland look like a resort.

Living high above the SJV, and watching Fresno based local stations, many times "Northern SJV" refers to Merced.

Many of the areas underserved by hospitals (like the town where I live) are getting urgent care places (geared to exploit Obamacare)

It could be in the Sierra foothill communities (Oakhurst, Mariposa, Sonora) and if that's the case, hey...life up here is pretty good.

Rural and slow paced, would be a bit of culture shock after Vegas. 

My guesses about Stockton are based upon the company that is affiliated with these places. When I put in the name of the company and San Joaquin Valley, three locations in Stockton immediately popped up. Of course, I could find out that this is off once we start talking.

The latest on this: I was contacted yesterday by the recruiter. So far, they are talking a 60 percent increase above my current salary, and we haven't even gotten to the interview stage yet. This is a new position, so the questions I would have had about the departure of my would-be predecessor are moot. Even having to pay state income tax, that would be a substantial jump in pay. I'm supposed to get a cal tomorrow with more information. The location has been confirmed as Stockton. The prospective employer is Community Medical Centers.

More as it happens.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

Community has hospitals all over the SJV.

Stockton, though...man.

If you think of the SJV as a crotch in some well worn skivvies, Stockton would be the skid mark.

Not sure any amount of money would entice me to live and work anywhere near there.

Edited by Homebrewer

My parents own a home in Lodi (my deceased grandfather's place). It's on an 80 acre vineyard but it's in the unincorporated area. Most of the city is pretty nice. I love it there and go up to the area often. If you're willing to commute, Elk Grove isn't a bad place either but it's just south of Sacramento. In the area my grandfather lived, there have been very little issues. Stockton is about 12 miles away but it seems to be further than that. The foothill communities (San Andreas/Murphys) aren't bad but would be a bit of a commute for you

Edited by Angels N Skins

I've been going to Stockton multiple times annually since the late-1990's. The pockets of 'nice' Stockton are getting smaller and smaller. A year ago I was following a car in the downtown area. It stopped in a residential area and the occupants got out and dumped the contents of the trunk and backseat directly onto the street. Within seconds, local residents came running from their houses and began to rummage through all the junk, totally unconcerned with the stopped traffic. I've never seen anything remotely like it.

As for Molesto, which I also visit annually, Vladdylonglegs sums it up pretty well.

The reason you're getting unsolicited offers from this area is because nobody wants to be there. Nobody.

My parents own a home in Lodi (my deceased grandfather's place). It's on an 80 acre vineyard but it's in the unincorporated area. Most of the city is pretty nice. I love it there and go up to the area often. If you're willing to commute, Elk Grove isn't a bad place either but it's just south of Sacramento. In the area my grandfather lived, there have been very little issues. Stockton is about 12 miles away but it seems to be further than that. The foothill communities (San Andreas/Murphys) aren't bad but would be a bit of a commute for you

Guess which mega-rich baseball agent grew up in Elk Grove?