• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Taco trucks

jimbo

On Tuesday's in Irvine there are food trucks at the bowling alley there by Boomers. I drive past in on my way home from my office which is also in Irvine. Brandon's office sounds like it is up the street from my office. The one food truck I have been wanting to try is the Cousin's Maine Lobster truck and it is in Irvine every week, I just keep missing it. A couple kids that used to work for me have or had a food truck, then opened a restaurant, which was great, but couldn't keep enough business, called Short Stop BBQ. They had the single best sandwich I have ever had, it was a PBLT, pork belly, lettuce and tomato. It was pretty incredible.

• 7 years later...
On 12/12/2023 at 7:01 PM, The Ghost of Bob Starr said:

How about the taco stand explosion around OC.  I can drive 3 miles in Tustin/Irvine and hit like 6 nightly taco stands, tamale guy, and a churro guy.  

So basically OC has become Mexico.

Seriously though I miss the Mexican food in OC. There are a few good food trucks here but you have to drive a ways to get to them.

For those who know Costa Mesa there is carniceria named El Toro Bravo. Their arrachera preparada (marinated skirt steak) is the best that I know of.  Fortunately there is a carniceria here that comes close so we can have some good back yard tacos.

13 hours ago, Jay said:

So basically OC has become Mexico.

Seriously though I miss the Mexican food in OC. There are a few good food trucks here but you have to drive a ways to get to them.

For those who know Costa Mesa there is carniceria named El Toro Bravo. Their arrachera preparada (marinated skirt steak) is the best that I know of.  Fortunately there is a carniceria here that comes close so we can have some good back yard tacos.

Jay, arrachera has exploded here.  Next

time you’re back in OC, visit Tacos Los Cholos in Anaheim, not far from the stadium.  It’s brick and mortar, not a stand or truck but it’s pretty good. 

There are trompos of pastor everywhere now. 

7 hours ago, Tank said:

i'll take your word for it.

most of the ones i've tried have been filled with cheese and chilis.

meh.

9 hours ago, katie said:

They’re good with meat. 

Although I will say even with meat, they just don't do it for me.  I get all weird, and put lettuce, cheese, avocado, sour cream, and hot sauce on my tamale.  So it becomes a franken tamale/tostada/taco. 

On 12/17/2023 at 11:44 AM, Tank said:

i don't get the appeal of tamales. just tastes like a bunch of wet tortilla to me.

i've tried them from the best tamale shop in east l.a., from moms and grandmas who've made them for forty years, etc. I don't like them. 

Lilliana’s?  To be fair tank, you are a vegetarian. 

On 12/17/2023 at 12:44 PM, Tank said:

i don't get the appeal of tamales. just tastes like a bunch of wet tortilla to me.

i've tried them from the best tamale shop in east l.a., from moms and grandmas who've made them for forty years, etc. I don't like them. 

I kinda get the appeal for others, as it sounds good on paper, and I love pretty much all Mexican food (minus ceviche), but I don't care for tamales either. 

Something about the cornmeal or whatever is on the outside of the meat has never sat well with me. I must have tried dozens over the years, and I just don't seem to get why people rave about them. Rather have an enchilada or some tacos or a burrito.

7 hours ago, CaliAngel said:

I kinda get the appeal for others, as it sounds good on paper, and I love pretty much all Mexican food (minus ceviche), but I don't care for tamales either. 

Something about the cornmeal or whatever is on the outside of the meat has never sat well with me. I must have tried dozens over the years, and I just don't seem to get why people rave about them. Rather have an enchilada or some tacos or a burrito.

You don’t like ceviche?

22 hours ago, The Ghost of Bob Starr said:

But wait.. that is all loaded with lard.  Do you not worry about that stuff?  

we usually check about that first. i try to avoid it as best i can.

there's a little hole in wall spot here in glendale that everyone raves about. went there once and found out they used lard. i figured i'd survive eating that burrito that day, but i haven't been back mostly because the burrito was ridiculously overloaded with beans.