• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Dodgers could trade Andre Ethier before April

Chuck

I am not upset he hasn't got us another expensive contract, I am upset he hasn't found us a quality left fielder. Also it isn't an argument, it is a fact, he signed three guys that are now in decline, it happens. You said earlier that you just want a player that is worth his money and that is able to be traded without eating a large part of their contract. Show me your list of guys that could be traded for equal value in the final year of a long term deal. Now I know you will go and talk about Albert, but just focus on what I asked you.

I am not sure when you lost track of who is the GM but it is Eppler's responsibility to find roster solutions as it was Dipoto's before him. You are so focused on arguing with Claude you are posting anything to be contrarian.

Fowler's projections are also skewed by the fact that estimates slot him in CF, where his overall WAR is hurt by his poor defensive showing. Were he to move to LF like he would here, you're looking at a 3 win player at least I think.

He'd make a good defensive LF, and his offensive value pretty much mirrors Jason Heyward.

Honestly, if Dexter Fowler was Eppler's plan the whole time then the man is a freakin genius for waiting it out like this. Huge discount.

If signed, Fowler had better put up at least a 3.0 WAR to compensate for losing the draft pick.

If he tanks to a 1.0 WAR or worse, the howling will be heard on here, myself included. 

Kendrick at 33 is not worth losing the draft pick.   His 1.4 WAR (-1.0 dWAR) was the worst it's been since his rookie year.

Can you say decline?  

At least Fowler's WAR has been pretty consistent the past 5 seasons (between 2.1 and 3.0), and he is 3 years younger than Kendrick.

Would prefer to not lose a draft pick for either though. 

Edited by Angel Oracle

Fowler's projections are also skewed by the fact that estimates slot him in CF, where his overall WAR is hurt by his poor defensive showing. Were he to move to LF like he would here, you're looking at a 3 win player at least I think.

He'd make a good defensive LF, and his offensive value pretty much mirrors Jason Heyward.

Honestly, if Dexter Fowler was Eppler's plan the whole time then the man is a freakin genius for waiting it out like this. Huge discount.

Actually, Heyward has a career 114 OPS+ while Fowler has a meager 104 OPS+. Fowler has played his whole career in hitters parks. Chuck posted some splits but those are very small sample sizes. His career numbers in any pitchers park he's played more than 30 games in, including Petco, are pretty bad.

If he didn't have a draft pick attached I'd say go for it. That's not the case though.

Actually, Heyward has a career 114 OPS+ while Fowler has a meager 104 OPS+. Fowler has played his whole career in hitters parks. Chuck posted some splits but those are very small sample sizes. His career numbers in any pitchers park he's played more than 30 games in, including Petco, are pretty bad.

If he didn't have a draft pick attached I'd say go for it. That's not the case though.

The point is, no matter where he plays, he can club enough doubles, triples and some home runs (17 last year away from Coors), steal some bases, play a solid LF (better than any one we've trotted out there in recent years) and more importantly, GET ON BASE. 

Have any of these anti-Fowler people really seen him play?  He is a solid player and he positively effects a line-up.  You have Escobar and Fowler hitting in front of Trout is going to mean a lot more runs driven in by Trout.  He is a much better all around player than Joyce ever was.

He is worth losing a draft pick for and he would give the Angels something they haven't had in years:  A solid LF.

Edited by VariousCrap

Have any of these anti-Fowler people really seen him play?  He is a solid player and he positively effects a line-up.  You have Escobar and Fowler hitting in front of Trout is going to mean a lot more runs driven in by Trout.  He is a much better all around player than Joyce ever was.

He is worth losing a draft pick for and he would give the Angels something they haven't had in years:  A solid LF.

Yep. 

Also, with his speed on first base in front of Trout, assuming he would hit 2nd, you're going to see Trout getting more fastballs. 

The point is, no matter where he plays, he can club enough doubles, triples and some home runs (17 last year away from Coors), steal some bases, play a solid LF (better than any one we've trotted out there in recent years) and more importantly, GET ON BASE.

And my point is that nava has gotten on base his whole career (has similar career obp as Fowler) and is one year removed from having as good of a season as fowlers ever had. He dealt with injuries last year, only hit. 194, but still had a .315 obp. The guy has on base skills. He also plays better defense which means that he has a higher baseline.

I think Fowler is the better player no doubt, but not enough to warrant a first round pick. I mean most people were up in arms about newcomb being traded. This is essentially trading a potential newcomb level player for the opportunity to sign an average player who will be 30 next year.

I guess it's just my opinion that if we weren't going to go big and really fill the void in LF, then there is no point in digging the hole that's been created even deeper. If they draft well then that pick could be making an impact in the majors in a few years while Trout is still an Angel. That means when he makes his decision there will be things to look forward to. They already decided not to go for it these next 2-3 years. Why waste a first round pick for a guy that still puts us over the luxury tax that isn't going to be a huge difference maker.

He would undoubtedly make the team better, but not enough. They had their chances for a guy like Span that didn't have a draft pick attached. Not only would I not sign Fowler but I can almost guarantee the angels just won't.

Nava is two years removed from having a good season (2013). In 2014 he was pretty average at best. A .361 slugging pct. for a left fielder with little power and no speed is pretty below average for the position in which he plays.

In the perfect world, Nava is our 4th outfielder. 

LOL at comparing Nava to Fowler. Jeez.

LOL at thinking Fowler is worth a first round pick. Jeez.

Edit:  I didn't even try and do a straight comparison.  I said clearly Fowler is the better player, but Nava and Gentry are likely good for 1-1.5 WAR.  Fowler is likely good for 2-2.5 WAR.  Are you seriously saying we should give up a 1st round pick to gain 1 WAR?? Both Gentry and Nava have good on base skills.  Gentry can steal and both can play solid defense.  Fowler has better offensive potential, but its just that: potential.  You can't just look at this in a vacuum.  You have to look at it as value over what is already there.  

Once again, w/o the draft pick comp this is a good pickup.  There is a reason he hasn't been signed yet.  He would have been a very solid option for those not willing to shell out the cash for a top FA...if he didn't have that draft pick attached.  Most of the guys not given a QO were signed before the big guys went.  

Edited by AngelsFanSince86

Nava is two years removed from having a good season (2013). In 2014 he was pretty average at best. A .361 slugging pct. for a left fielder with little power and no speed is pretty below average for the position in which he plays.

In the perfect world, Nava is our 4th outfielder.

I'd still prefer Gentry or even Hinshaw for that matter if it's the 4th OF role. Your 4th OF should be a good defensive OF that can play all three positions, and provide defense as a late inning replacement. His second role should be as a pinch runner. Your 4th OF should be able to come in and pinch run. The third role is the ability to lay a bunt down and sacrifice a runner over. The 4th role is left-handedness. He needs to be able to come in for a RHB. The final role is the ability to pinch hit. Make contact and delivery when the game is one the line.

Hinshaw in particular provides the defense, speed and ability to sacrifice. Nava doesn't do either. Gentry does to an extent.

I just can't imagine we'd sit out of the LF FA foray to this point only to give up a draft pick for Fowler.  Granted, I think he would help quite a bit, I just don't think he's the guy we've been waiting out.  

just as an FYI for those who care, Houston and Wrigley are actually closer to neutral parks.  

Did notti just call somebody else contrarian?

Eric, you are great and I love you but that's like me telling someone else to ease up on the sexual innuendo.

I don't know if you've noticed but he has been in a non stop war with Claude and has a knee jerk reaction to ever post he makes. Every post regardlessof content and it's the same argument back and forth.

They really need to get together at Panera and share some flavored coffee and scones and work this out.