• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

It's Not Just About Left Field

I have some faith in Morin. But that might be Al's role.

There's a going to be a lot of battles for pen roles this spring, far more than usual, and I think that'll be a good thing. Street, Smith, and Salas are the only locks.

I think part of the plan for not addressing the pen more was to apply some SP depth there. Which could work out really well.

we left that path a long time ago.  It's the reason why we were in the position of having FA spending as the best option.  

One of the things that I find ironic is that some people think by us not spending we will be in a better situation long term.   Not spending this year has actually further weakened the long term health of this team.  When you don't have a farm system, you spend money to preserve what you have.  The Dodgers are the absolute extreme case, but they have kept their team competitive by spending and they have not touched their robust farm system.  In fact, they've added to it.  

Org currency is money AND talent.  We spent dearly this off season.  Yes, we got value in return and it remains to be seen whether that value was equal.   Just like free agency, when you acquire a player via your currency to help the current club, you are unlikely to recoup the full value of that currency.  Both are  bit of a crapshoot.  

My point is that regardless of what people want to believe, our lack of spending in the FA market isn't to preserve the long term health of this team.  It's just that we have a budget and there is no room on the payroll.  

The goal of this org is to maximize the talent on the field for the next five years using whatever resources are available.  Money was not so we used players.  Now we can't afford to give up either so we are where we are.  As soon as more resources become available, we will use them to help the major league club in this 5 year window.  In other words, as soon as we free up some money, it's as good as spent.  We didn't spend it now in order to help the 2 year health of the club.  Not it's long term health. 

If they were going to use the Dodgers philosophy of spending cash to preserve players, it would have started a long time ago.  We should have known the second we traded for Simmons that there would be zero chance we were going to use money to improve the team.  

Good points all around. Knowing Arte Moreno I bet we will spend big on next year's weak free agent crop. We obviously will be in the market for talent, we will have a lot of money freed up, and there are some big names. I wouldn't be surprised to see us try and make up for missing out on Adrian Beltre the last time around.

With Escobar in the fold, can't sign both of those guys. Howie is the better player but he has the draft pick attached to him if you do sign him. Would make more sense to just re-sign Freese and move Escobar to 2B. Move Gia to the bench where he fits in nicely with Pennington, Soto, Choi and whatever muck of names they have for LF(Nava, Gentry, Ortega, Cunningham)

With Escobar in the fold, can't sign both of those guys. Howie is the better player but he has the draft pick attached to him if you do sign him. Would make more sense to just re-sign Freese and move Escobar to 2B. Move Gia to the bench where he fits in nicely with Pennington, Soto, Choi and whatever muck of names they have for LF(Nava, Gentry, Ortega, Cunningham)

Well we know what Howie can do with the bat.

Good points all around. Knowing Arte Moreno I bet we will spend big on next year's weak free agent crop. We obviously will be in the market for talent, we will have a lot of money freed up, and there are some big names. I wouldn't be surprised to see us try and make up for missing out on Adrian Beltre the last time around.

I could see them go after Josh Reddick for the LF spot next year. And probably over pay~

Put me in the "might as well re-sign Freese for one year (+ team option year) and move Escobar to 2B" group.

That gives Cowart/Kubitza another season to take over at 3B, and means NO draft picks lost.

Could maybe flip Freese midseason too, if he's doing well and the Angels aren't, or if Cowbitza forces the issue.

And what accounts would those be? I see no indication that anything else will be done.

I know at least Alden, Fletch, and maybe DiGiovanni have all quoted Eppler/FO within last week or so that they're still looking. Just because they haven't signed Upton or Cespedes doesn't mean they aren't looking at other lower-priced FAs or trades.

Put me in the "might as well re-sign Freese for one year (+ team option year) and move Escobar to 2B" group.

That gives Cowart/Kubitza another season to take over at 3B, and means NO draft picks lost.

If Freese is ready to take a reasonable one-year deal (or one and an option), this makes perfect sense. Freese projects to give you exactly what he gave you last season at 3B. Escobar is an offensive improvement over Giavotella, and he can't be any worse defensively at 2B.