• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Joyce & Murphy or Nava & Gentry?

zenmaster

I'm also sad to admit it that I'd probably rather have the first 2 than the 2nd 2 going into this season. I know it's hard to put up worse numbers than we had last year in left field but I'm not sure this year is looking to be much better. Which of these 2 awesome casts of characters would you rather have on opening day 2016?

I'm also sad to admit it that I'd probably rather have the first 2 than the 2nd 2 going into this season. I know it's hard to put up worse numbers than we had last year in left field but I'm not sure this year is looking to be much better. Which of these 2 awesome casts of characters would you rather have on opening day 2016?

David Murphy hit .265/.281/.400 in 162 plate appearances for the Angels in 2015. His 2016 option was for $7m. You are remembering his time here far more kindly than it deserves.

Grant Green's career AAA OPS is 48 points higher than Choi's. How the hell is he worth the slightest bit of hype?

Well, when your off season moves consist of Nava, Gentry, Soto and Pennington along with a few other weird outfielders, oh and some dude named AL AL, you might as well get off on a dude called Choi.

Grant Green's career AAA OPS is 48 points higher than Choi's. How the hell is he worth the slightest bit of hype?

He's the bright, shiny new thing, and some people around here get all jazzed up over that.  Is he worth taking a shot on in spring training?  Sure, why not?  But just assuming that he's going to come in and contribute in a meaningful way seems like a stretch.

Age and parks....   

Green's first taste of AAA came at age 24 -- he spent a season in Sacramento, then three AAA seasons at SLC -- a park with a run index of 117.  Choi's first taste of AAA came at age 22, in Tacoma, where the most favorable index based on handedness is 92.   Maybe more importantly Choi has managed an OBP of .379 in AAA to Green's .354 - despite hitting 30 points lower..   Choi's 50 BB in AAA is more than half of Green's total number of walks and he's done it in nearly 1200 fewer at bats.  His 14.9 BB% is nearly triple what Green pulled off last season -- and his K rate (20.9%), was significantly lower than Green's 31.8

While not worthy of "hype", that difference in OPS is pretty meaningless.

Age and parks....

Green's first taste of AAA came at age 24 -- he spent a season in Sacramento, then three AAA seasons at SLC -- a park with a run index of 117. Choi's first taste of AAA came at age 22, in Tacoma, where the most favorable index based on handedness is 92. Maybe more importantly Choi has managed an OBP of .379 in AAA to Green's .354 - despite hitting 30 points lower.. Choi's 50 BB in AAA is more than half of Green's total number of walks and he's done it in nearly 1200 fewer at bats. His 14.9 BB% is nearly triple what Green pulled off last season -- and his K rate (20.9%), was significantly lower than Green's 31.8

While not worthy of "hype", that difference in OPS is pretty meaningless.

I'm not suggesting he isn't a better hitter than Green, just pointing out that the excitement about his ability is being seriously overblown. There is a chance he's somewhat useful for us, but his AAA numbers don't inspire tremendous confidence (yes I know his BB and K rates are very good but overall things still aren't great) and of course he has practically zero power.