• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Your 2016 HOF Vote

mancini79

He'll get in because of his offensive numbers at the catcher position. I wouldn't vote for him, at least not first go around. 77% stealing success rate is just crazy for a HOF catcher. Dude allowed 1400 stolen bases! 

So if you had the chance to draft them today to play their entire careers with the Angels, you would draft Lee Smith ahead of Mike Piazza? I can't see any logic in that.

So if you had the chance to draft them today to play their entire careers with the Angels, you would draft Lee Smith ahead of Mike Piazza? I can't see any logic in that.

Scioscia would just bench Piazza then have him traded for the worst possible contract not already signed to the Angels. 

/half joking

So you'd take Piazza over Lee Smith, but vote Smith for the Hall and not Piazza?? Does not compute.

Smith was a top  elite closer. I guess one could hypothetically muse that Piazza could have been a top DH, but he was not. He was a horrendous catcher with a HOF swing. I'm not really sure what I'd do with that. The same decision involves Edgar Martinez. Should such a one dimensional player get in? 

Lee Smith was an overpowering giant on the mound. I saw him pitch many times at Wrigley where, like Bob Gibson, he was such a dominating presence, it was like a man against boys.  Percival credits him as his major influence.

Fact is..."There are five relief pitchers currently in the Hall of Fame, and incredibly – Lee Smith has more career saves than all of them. More than Dennis Eckersley. More than Rollie Fingers. More than Goose Gossage. More than Hoyt Wilhelm. And even more than Bruce Sutter."

Here are the final results. The bold is the HOF ballot percentages. We elected the same players and for the most part the percentages were close. The biggest difference is Schilling with over a 30% difference. Stupid East Coast bias! It will be interesting to see next year's results since Raines has a way to go with our members but is pretty close to the HOF. Next year is looking great for Raines to get in the Hall.

Griffey 100%  99.3%

Piazza 76.9%  83.0%

Bagwell 65.4%  71.6%

Hoffman 57.7%  67.3%

Raines 53.9%  69.8%

Bonds 50.0%  44.3%

Clemens 42.3%  45.2%

Trammell 42.3%  40.9%

Edgar Martinez 34.6%  43.4%

Mussina 30.7%  43.0%

McGriff 23.1%  20.9%

McGwire 23.1%  12.3%