• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Your 2016 HOF Vote

mancini79

If you had to turn in a ballot, who would you vote for? Any player that gets 75% of the vote would make the HOF. We did this back in 2014 and our results were nearly identical to the HOF vote. So post below who you would vote on your ballot. (10 players is the max allowed on a ballot). HOF will announce their official results Wednesday afternoon. I'll try to get the numbers by Tuesday night before their announcement.

Griffey

Bagwell

Piazza

Hoffman

Garrett Anderson

Brad Ausmus

Bonds

Luis Castillo

Clemens

Eckstein

Edmonds

Garciaparra

Glaus

Grudzielanek

Mike Hampton

Jason Kendall

Kent

Lowell

Edgar Martinez

McGriff

McGwire

Mussina

Raines

Schilling

Sheffield

Lee Smith

Sosa

Mike Sweeney

Trammell

Wagner

Larry Walker

Randy Winn

Hard to pick just 10. I'm more of a 'small Hall' guy but there is just a backlog of great players on the ballot due to the general incompetence of the BBWA. You could make a good case for at least 5 more guys.

Griffey

Piazza

Bonds

Clemens

Martinez

McGwire

Mussina

Raines

Schilling

Trammel

Bonds, Clemens, Griffey, Piazza, Martinez, McGwire, Raines

I put those seven in without really needing to give it much thought. From there it gets a little more challenging though. Bagwell, Sosa, Trammell, Mussina, Hoffman and Schilling are probably all worthy, Larry Walker wouldn't be that far off either and I could understand why people would have Jim Edmonds in the discussion. Jeff Kent also has a case, while Billy Wagner's credentials are seriously underrated. The fact that it's Alan Trammell's last chance makes me think I would need to give him a vote. I'm also compelled by the fact that Sosa might not stay on the ballet, so I probably give him a vote too because I really think he deserves to be in. So that leaves me one and I guess I just pick the person I think is the best player from the remainder of that lot and I'm going to lean Bagwell.

So that gives me a final ballot of Bonds, Clemens, Griffey, Piazza, Martinez, McGwire, Raines, Trammell, Sosa, Bagwell.

And yes, I know leaving the likes of Mussina, Hoffman and Schilling is pretty messed up but it's so stacked at the moment that it's what I think it has come to.

That's one hell of a group. These guys define baseball, in my opinion, since I grew up watching them....I miss those days.

Edited by failos

62 career WAR, a career OPS+ of 163, eight straight seasons with an OPS above 1.000 (and two above 1.200) and 583 career HR.

So which part of that is overrated?

Don't get me wrong he had a hell of a career, but his average was low for his time, he played horrible defense, horrible base runner and struck out at a high rate. I would easily put Bagwell in front of him and possibly even McGriff.

Don't get me wrong he had a hell of a career, but his average was low for his time, he played horrible defense, horrible base runner and struck out at a high rate. I would easily put Bagwell in front of him and possibly even McGriff.

Fred McGriff's best ever season by OPS would have been McGwire's equal ninth best. McGriff's dWAR for his career was -18.1 (compared to -12.8 for McGwire) and his batting average, if you put any value in that, was just 21 points higher for his career. McGwire is a universe ahead of McGriff, who was still a very good player however.

If you had to turn in a ballot, who would you vote for? Any player that gets 75% of the vote would make the HOF. We did this back in 2014 and our results were nearly identical to the HOF vote. So post below who you would vote on your ballot. (10 players is the max allowed on a ballot). HOF will announce their official results Wednesday afternoon. I'll try to get the numbers by Tuesday night before their announcement.

Griffey

Bagwell

Piazza

Hoffman

Garrett Anderson

Brad Ausmus

Bonds

Luis Castillo

Clemens

Eckstein

Edmonds

Garciaparra

Glaus

Grudzielanek

Mike Hampton

Jason Kendall

Kent

Lowell

Edgar Martinez

McGriff

McGwire

Mussina

Raines

Schilling

Sheffield

Lee Smith

Sosa

Mike Sweeney

Trammell

Wagner

Larry Walker

Randy Winn

In no particular order:

Raines

Clemens

Piazza

Bonds

Bagwell

Griffey

Mussina

Hoffman

Trammell

Kent

Fred McGriff's best ever season by OPS would have been McGwire's equal ninth best. McGriff's dWAR for his career was -18.1 (compared to -12.8 for McGwire) and his batting average, if you put any value in that, was just 21 points higher for his career. McGwire is a universe ahead of McGriff, who was still a very good player however.

Your right McGwire was better than McGriff. His WAR was 10 better. That said there are a lot of better players than McGwire who did not make the HOF. McGwire was good, but he is border line HOF. Add in the steroids and he is out.