• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Winter Meetings Recap Day 3

Second Base

Ok, so now it's becoming a little unsettling. The amount of activity every team has shown has been astounding compared to the Angels. I think part of it is the Angels new front office is leak free, so no one in the media has any inclination what the Angels have and haven't been doing. But here's what little we have.

1. The Angels were in "serious" talks for Neil Walker before being outbid by the Mets who offered Jon Niese at 9 million dollars. The money is about even, so this makes it Jon Niese for Neil Walker. You're telling me the Angels were in serious talks and couldn't top the Mets offer? I find that hard to believe.

2. The Angels signed Craig Gentry to be their 4th OF. Just brutal. Angels fans are clammoring for offensive upgrades in LF and 2B or 3B and are left with a 4th OF. I thought they already had one in Ortega, up I guess he'll be in AAA along with Quinitin Berry now.

3. Arte Moreno is "waffling" over whether to exceed the Luxury Tax or not. I'm sorry, but "waffling"? WTF is that? It sounds like a dirty sexual thing someone should look up on Urban Dictionary. Regardless of whatever the hell waffling means, it probably isn't good. Arte spent himself into this mess against the advice of his former GM, and now it appears he's leaning toward handicapping the new GM who is attempting to fix his owner's mistakes. Perhaps Gentry isn't a 4th OF, maybe he's the starting LF. Scary.

There's really only one day left of these meetings after tonight, and fans should likely prepare for the event of their team being shut out and leaving without any upgrades to the infield, outfield, rotation or bullpen.

Am I missing anything?

I like how the Angels are taking care of all the bench and back-up pieces first. It seems like every year we make a big move, we skimp on the little things and wind up being screwed when players struggle or get hurt.

Seems like Eppler is checking off all the other things on the list so he truly knows what he has to work with - either in money or a trade - for the glaring outfield hole.

I like how the Angels are taking care of all the bench and back-up pieces first. It seems like every year we make a big move, we skimp on the little things and wind up being screwed when players struggle or get hurt.

Seems like Eppler is checking off all the other things on the list so he truly knows what he has to work with - either in money or a trade - for the glaring outfield hole.

Well said ... MWAH needs to chill and stop with the negative comments.

In terms of the MLB roster...

Pennington is an upgrade over Featherston.

Soto is an upgrade over '15 Iannetta.

Gentry is at very least a match on Cowgill.

Simmons is an upgrade over Aybar.

And we've added Skaggs.

We've lost Freese, Murphy, and Ramos so far with no real replacement yet.

We have at least $16m to spend and 8 starting pitchers to deal from still.

I don't see how we are dramatically worse than where we were at the end of '15.

Also, Texas, Oakland, and Houston haven't done much *yet*. Mariners have done quite a bit but the results are definitely not clear cut.

Every team in baseball fells it became demonstrably better after the offseason, and for the most part, they're right.

1. Mariners are under new management and made sweeping changes. If you don't think they'll be better immediately, I think you're fooling yourself.

2. The Astros are landing Ken Giles to lock down the bullpen and are primed for more free agent spending. Not to mention all those good young players, are only going to get better next year.

3. Texas is in a place to spend, and they're getting Darvish back next year. That's like adding Greinke or Price. They're going to be even more difficult to beat.

4. Even the A's are getting better with the small moves they've made.

The Angeks need to get better, just to keep up, and so far, it really doesn't look like they're any better than they were last year. Of course, if they signed Heyward, brought in another 2B and RP, then I'd be whistling a different tune.

Every team in baseball fells it became demonstrably better after the offseason, and for the most part, they're right.

1. Mariners are under new management and made sweeping changes. If you don't think they'll be better immediately, I think you're fooling yourself.

2. The Astros are landing Ken Giles to lock down the bullpen and are primed for more free agent spending. Not to mention all those good young players, are only going to get better next year.

3. Texas is in a place to spend, and they're getting Darvish back next year. That's like adding Greinke or Price. They're going to be even more difficult to beat.

The Angeks need to get better, just to keep up, and so far, it really doesn't look like they're any better than they were last year. Of course, if they signed Heyward, brought in another 2B and RP, then I'd be whistling a different tune.

While I am not a fan of what we haven't done, I really like what we have done. This team is better than last year. Is the organization better without Newcomb or Ellis, probably not, but the Angels are absolutely better, just not not enough better. This roster will be better than last year, whether it performs better who knows. We have lost the three headed monster in LF, we have lost Iannetta, we have lost Aybar and we have lost Freese. The only loss really is Freese. They will fill LF with something better than we currently have and something better than we had last year for sure. The question is will we replace Freese or re-sign him.

I agree with all this.

I'm just saying the team wasn't terrible to begin with, and that they haven't sat around. Every move they've made so far has pretty much an upgrade, or a wash at worst, and they haven't lost much yet. AND I have no reason to think they're done. They have money and pitching to work with still.

Edited by totdprods

Ok, so now it's becoming a little unsettling. The amount of activity every team has shown has been astounding compared to the Angels. I think part of it is the Angels new front office is leak free, so no one in the media has any inclination what the Angels have and haven't been doing. But here's what little we have.

1. The Angels were in "serious" talks for Neil Walker before being outbid by the Mets who offered Jon Niese at 9 million dollars. The money is about even, so this makes it Jon Niese for Neil Walker. You're telling me the Angels were in serious talks and couldn't top the Mets offer? I find that hard to believe.

2. The Angels signed Craig Gentry to be their 4th OF. Just brutal. Angels fans are clammoring for offensive upgrades in LF and 2B or 3B and are left with a 4th OF. I thought they already had one in Ortega, up I guess he'll be in AAA along with Quinitin Berry now.

3. Arte Moreno is "waffling" over whether to exceed the Luxury Tax or not. I'm sorry, but "waffling"? WTF is that? It sounds like a dirty sexual thing someone should look up on Urban Dictionary. Regardless of whatever the hell waffling means, it probably isn't good. Arte spent himself into this mess against the advice of his former GM, and now it appears he's leaning toward handicapping the new GM who is attempting to fix his owner's mistakes. Perhaps Gentry isn't a 4th OF, maybe he's the starting LF. Scary.

There's really only one day left of these meetings after tonight, and fans should likely prepare for the event of their team being shut out and leaving without any upgrades to the infield, outfield, rotation or bullpen.

Am I missing anything?

duuuuuuuude, you just sang my song. i invented waffling on craigslist years ago, but they kept taking my ad down. urban dictionary has denied me too. i won't go into what it is. btw, it was all a joke.

Although I'll admit it was a boring Winter Meetings, particularly for the Angels, the top four OF's are still on the market so I don't know why people are going nuts.... Wait until there's movement on that side of the market first before getting bent out of shape.

Also Arte will start to waffle when Heyward's price starts shooting above $200MM. Although he shouldn't think like this, I could easily see him thinking hey I just paid Pujols $250MM can I really afford to bring on another player for that price. It is a reasonable thought although I personally believe he shouldn't hesitate.

Writing a $200MM+ check isn't easy for anyone to do.

In the last two days we've missed on Zobrist, Cabrera, Walker, and Lawrie

All potential options to improve the everyday lineup.  

While I commend that the Angels are committed to improving the bench, they have a lot of need for guys slated to get more than 600pa.  

It's not that we haven't done anything, but that we've actually missed out on some solid options so far.  

btw, I like the angry Scott.  He's funnier than the one who tries to get along.  

I'm not giving up on the possibility that something - maybe more than one something - could be in the works. The Angels have never been a club to hint at what they might be up to. It just happens.

No giving up, I just don't have a ton of confidence in Eppler, yet. I mean, Dipoto gave great sound bites, he was aggressive, and honestly, anything was better than Reagins at the time. And in retrospect, I think that was spot on. Jerry was an aggressive and exciting GM. Unfortunately, he trashed what was already thought to be a weak minor league system, which is a pretty serious flaw.

Eppler has come in, and almost immediately empties whatever else is left of the farm after Dipoto was done, and he does it all for a light-hitting SS. Now granted, there have been some positives, like Pennington as UT, Gentry as 4th OF hopefully, Soto as catching depth and bringing back Roenicke and Black. But I guess the Simmons trade is still raw.

Anyway, I'll wait to judge.