• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels talking with Justin Upton's representatives

i agree with this. this kid has a ton of power but hasn't really had a big season. hits for decent avg. but nothing terribly impressive. i seem to recall him being good defensively but i'm not sure that his play with the glove really stands out.

i can't really see a reason to go after someone who still carries the dreaded potential label. i feel the same way about heyward, and i wouldn't really go after him, either.

It's a good thing you aren't correct.   :)

Jeff Fletcher ‏@JeffFletcherOCR

Angels GM Billy Eppler, on how close he's getting to a deal, using a football analogy: "Across the 50. The kicker is stretching."

Mike DiGiovanna ‏@MikeDiGiovanna

GM Billy Eppler has spoken to agents for all big FA OFs (Cespedes, Heyward, Upton, etc) but don't expect #Angels to set market w/first deal.

whatthefuck4c0b9.gif

Jeff Fletcher ‏@JeffFletcherOCR

Angels GM Billy Eppler, on how close he's getting to a deal, using a football analogy: "Across the 50. The kicker is stretching."

Mike DiGiovanna ‏@MikeDiGiovanna

GM Billy Eppler has spoken to agents for all big FA OFs (Cespedes, Heyward, Upton, etc) but don't expect #Angels to set market w/first deal.

whatthefuck4c0b9.gif

So instead of helping the people who got mowed over, everyone runs for the cart trying to stop it.  

Alden Gonzalez ‏@Alden_Gonzalez 8m8 minutes ago

Billy Eppler said there's clarity on the budget, suggested that exceeding luxury tax will depend on the player. "It's fluid," he said again.

Not saying anything new there, but I don't like how going over the tax is tied to a single "player". The Angels have a lot of needs this offseason. So what, they sign Heyward or Upton, go over the tax, and then just stop? That's it?

It should be about the right situation.

Billy Eppler said there's clarity on the budget, suggested that exceeding luxury tax will depend on the player. "It's fluid," he said again.

Not saying anything new there, but I don't like how going over the tax is tied to a single "player". The Angels have a lot of needs this offseason. So what, they sign Heyward or Upton, go over the tax, and then just stop? That's it?

Or they use up what's remaining before the luxury tax to fill needs and then go over for the right player. Edited by totdprods

I take it to mean that they are willing to go up to the luxury tax on filling the other holes but are willing to exceed it for the right player. In other words, fix the 2b & 3b and maybe the relief situation within the alloted luxury tax budget, with the exception of that one player that puts them over.

Things might not work out that way though. By the time they fill the other needs "the right player" could have signed elsewhere.

I don't think it has to be that black and white. The 'right player' can come first.

Eppler could have been told going into the offseason he can go right up to the limit. $20 mil to work with.

Arte can now step in and say "if the right player comes up, you've got another $25m to work with" with an understanding that they sign a $25m impact player.

Edited by totdprods

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/12/giants-jason-heyward-alex-gordon.html

Angels GM Billy Eppler has spoken to the agents for all of the major free-agent outfielders — including Heyward, Cespedes and Upton — according to Mike DiGiovanna of the L.A. Times (Twitter link). However, DiGiovanna cautions that we shouldn’t expect the Halos to set the market by being the first to agree to a major deal for an outfielder.

My least favorite part is where they mention we shouldn't expect the Angels to set the market on any OF. So instead we'll sit back and end up overpaying for an OF that isn't our first choice because some other market setting team swoops in for the top player.

Probably due to Arte's doing since he doesn't like his offers being used as leverage to up other club's offers. I think he prefers to come in with a big offer afterwards and employ his take it or leave it. That's why the big deals always happen so quickly with little warning.

My least favorite part is where they mention we shouldn't expect the Angels to set the market on any OF. So instead we'll sit back and end up overpaying for an OF that isn't our first choice because some other market setting team swoops in for the top player.

Yep. That's what I thought too. What's wrong with being the market setter?

This is the first time I've seen any of the Angels brass say they'd actually go over the luxury tax.

I think he means that they wouldn't do it just to do it, that is to sign any guy they can, but it has to be someone they deem worthy of going over for. Let's say they really want Heyward. If they can't get Heyward they could conceivably addess the team's needs without going over the luxury tax.