• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Angels are telling teams they are willing to trade C.J. Wilson.

Chuck

USA Today's Bob Nightengale reports that the Angels are telling teams they are willing to trade C.J. Wilson.

Well, that's no surprise. Wilson is owed $20 million in 2016 and had elbow surgery in August, so it remains to be seen how much actual interest there will be in him. The Angels would likely have to absorb some of the left-hander's contract in order to move him.

I think they'd be fine selling low on him if they can clear the salary. They've been clearing so much salary I'm actually wondering if they are thinking of signing two major FAs.

Trade CJ, get as much salary relief as possible, get at least a decent piece back, trade Hector for another piece, then sign Heyward and a starting pitcher? Trading CJ and Hector could free up $13-$16 million. 

I think they'd be fine selling low on him if they can clear the salary. They've been clearing so much salary I'm actually wondering if they are thinking of signing two major FAs.

I think they'd gladly give him away f they could clear his salary....but they can't, at least not until he proves he can still pitch....which is why I don't get this....sounds almost like Hamilton...got to get him outta here, no matter what....I'd hold him until spring and see what he can do then...somebody will have an injury or need a starter then....

USA Today's Bob Nightengale reports that the Angels are telling teams they are willing to trade C.J. Wilson.

Well, that's no surprise. Wilson is owed $20 million in 2016 and had elbow surgery in August, so it remains to be seen how much actual interest there will be in him. The Angels would likely have to absorb some of the left-hander's contract in order to move him.

Source: Bob Nightengale on Twitter

This is consistent with what I've said all along. Eppler has to dump salary before any new big splash is signed. Arte will probably hold tight until that's done. if we can't move some salary look for mid-level free agents or trades.

Trade CJ, get as much salary relief as possible, get at least a decent piece back, trade Hector for another piece, then sign Heyward and a starting pitcher? Trading CJ and Hector could free up $13-$16 million.

Could make room for Heyward and Chen. That'd give the Angels anywhere from $29m to $38m to spend before the tax.

Or they could sign two big bats. They may see all the defensive upgrades as an indirect way of upgrading the pitching.

Edited by totdprods

I like the idea of trading CJ, but I'm pretty sure I'd end up disappointed with the actual deal we get. CJ is probably a good bet to be decent next year, he's been good following these procedures before. 

Trading him will probably only result in us clearing a little payroll, since I'm sure we'll have to pay some of it.

if Jeff smardzja (sp) is worth 5/90 then cj at 1/20 isn't too crazy.

It isn't too crazy, but only if he can still pitch....If I'm the GM who trades for CJ and his arm is a wet noddle this spring, I'd hate to answer to my owner...unless the Angels agreed to assume damn near all of his contract, like Hamilton...

Edited by DMVol

To be expected ... doubtful he'll be traded until ST gets started. Although, it's a fairly routine surgery and should be stronger next season.

I'd be disappointed if the Angels paid more than $5M of his salary.

Be prepared to be disappointed. While I agree there's a chance to get a higher return in Spring Training I kind of assume most teams have their budget set by then.