• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Tyler Skaggs is shiny and new, again.

Second Base

Newest article on Skaggs, who I feel many fans have largely forgotten about. I really do feel this kid will be ask good as Heaney, who we've seen emerge as a solid #3 starter.

http://monkeywithahalo.com/uncategorized/tyler-skaggs-is-shiny-and-new-again.html

Edited by ScottyA_MWAH

Tyler Skaggs was developing well in 2014 before his surgery. His ERA that season may not show it, but he was really improving start over start. He was learning how to sequence his pitches; he was learning how to put away batters after getting ahead 0-2; and he was learning how to avoid the Santiago style 3rd inning meltdown after a leadoff walk and a single. Those are the things that have to be experienced and learned at the MLB level. If he comes back well from surgery, he is capable of forming a strong lefty 2-3 punch with Heaney in the Angels' rotation.

Edited by halosfan1970

I never forgot about him, i'm definitely looking forward to seeing him pitch for the Angels again.  I'm real hopeful that Skaggs, Heaney, and Richards form a great 1-2-3 punch for the Angels in the near future.   

that sure would help the angels immensely if all 3 of them reached their full potential, not to mention at the same time. they could climax together. hot.

Newest article on Skaggs, who I feel many fans have largely forgotten about. I really do feel this kid will be ask good as Heaney, who we've seen emerge as a solid #3 starter.

http://monkeywithahalo.com/uncategorized/tyler-skaggs-is-shiny-and-new-again.html

I think he will be better than Heaney if he can stay healthy.

Edited by Poozy

that sure would help the angels immensely if all 3 of them reached their full potential, not to mention at the same time. they could climax together. hot.

Why is this so funny? But yes that would probably give us the best rotation in baseball if they all live up to expectations and we have Wilson, weaver, trop, shoe, and Santiago to fill out the other 2 spots

I think it'll be interesting to see where he is in 2016.  You're right that most guys struggle post TJ surgery, but those are the guys that are working from a 9-12 month recovery time.  Skaggs is coming off over a year and a half off. 

I still think there's a little tough transition when he comes back next year. Maybe it'll be shorter than most guys but I'd still expect some growing pains, especially since he still hasn't had that full season under his belt. 

I still think there's a little tough transition when he comes back next year. Maybe it'll be shorter than most guys but I'd still expect some growing pains, especially since he still hasn't had that full season under his belt. 

There will be a transition period. The TJ surgery set Skaggs' development back a year at least. He was developing well in 2014. Hopefully, optimism is warranted, and Heaney and Skaggs are a solid mid-rotation duo for the next five years.

I talked about some of the Angels left-handed starters nearly two years ago: http://www.angelswin-forum.com/forums/blog/4/entry-444-angels-relevant-left-handed-starting-pitching-data/

Skaggs has tremendous horizontal and vertical movement on his four-seam, two-seam, and curveball which is a tremendous toolkit. The curve is an excellent weapon against RHH's.

If he gets back to these levels of pitching he will be more than a mid-rotation guy in my opinion. But first he has to get there and recover completely from the TJS. Let's hope he does.

I talked about some of the Angels left-handed starters nearly two years ago: http://www.angelswin-forum.com/forums/blog/4/entry-444-angels-relevant-left-handed-starting-pitching-data/

Skaggs has tremendous horizontal and vertical movement on his four-seam, two-seam, and curveball which is a tremendous toolkit. The curve is an excellent weapon against RHH's.

If he gets back to these levels of pitching he will be more than a mid-rotation guy in my opinion. But first he has to get there and recover completely from the TJS. Let's hope he does.

I wonder if their confidence in Heaney and Skaggs played a small role in trading Sean Newcomb.

I wonder if their confidence in Heaney and Skaggs played a small role in trading Sean Newcomb.

I'd imagine so. Also, as has been mentioned several times, there could be concern of having too many lefties in the rotation. With Wilson and Santiago here, you're already looking at having 4 potential lefties for the rotation in '16. 

Newcomb was very unlikely to see significant, if any, rotation time in '16 - so you're probably not seeing him contribute to the MLB team until 2017, and even then, it's unlikely he'd provide production equivalent to a #1 or #2 like we'd hope. It may not even be more than a September call up or a spot start.

So, realistically, Sean Newcomb probably wasn't going to impact this team on a daily basis until 2018, and even then, it would have been unlikely he'd be delivering his #1 or #2 upside right off the bat - probably more like a mid-rotation starter for his first year. And that's something both Skaggs and Heaney should be providing 2016, 2017, and 2018 already from the left side. 

We've got 5 more guaranteed years of Trout, and I'd hope the Angels are trying to win it all in all 5 of those, so I can see why flipping someone like Newcomb who may not make a high-impact everyday contribution for 2 or 3 of those years for someone like Simmons made sense. 

Santiago could be in the fold, and even Alvarez could be lefty starting depth if necessary.

Deloach and Smith also on the farm.

Edited by totdprods

I've been very excited about the return of Skaggs.

I think Richards, Heaney and Skaggs forms the anchor of rotation for a few years.  Weave and Wilson will be gone after 2016 and I think Santiago (maybe Wilson) is moved this winter.  Wouldn't mind a solid young RH starting pitcher to throw in that mix.  Also think this year is huge for Shoemake,