• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What really bothers me....

DMVol

After Weaver came up, we struggled developing organizational starting pitching prospects....it looked like Adenhart might be the next guy and then, seemingly, we really had a long dry spell after Adenhart's death. Richards finally developed and we seemed to be restocking with Newcomb and Ellis and others....And then Eppler guts that in one fell swoop....it really felt good to have some depth...now we're back to where we were...Not a very comforting thought...we'll see....

And Deloach, Tropeano, and more MLB starters than their are spots in the rotation. And this team can never be counted out of FA arms.

Definitely lost some upside and potential, but there is still a lot of pitching on this team with upside. Plus all the pitching improved with this acquisition.

We still have Weaver, Wilson, Shoe, Santiago, Richards, Heaney, Tropeano, Skaggs, Nate Smith.

Yes, a bunch of these names scare me, but here's 9 guys that could compete at the Major League level. It's not like we are going to be struggling to put a 5 man rotation out there. Yes we hurt our future a bit (possibly) but this tells me Eppler is aggressive and this team might go all in an open the checkbook. I'm sure there are also going to be a few young guys in the minors that take steps forward this year as well. I'm optimistic.

Edited by zenmaster

Eppler should probably hold onto Skaggs and Tropeano. We need to have some young pitching, and those two are solid #3/4 starters.

Yup, I think one of Santiago/Shoemaker is likely to be traded.

I actually think Wilson is likelier to stay now, as he could be turned into a draft pick via QO at end of '16.

We got a cornerstone shortstop under contract for five years. If he were a prospect and you knew he was going to have the career he has had to date, he'd be the top prospect in baseball. And we got him for a package primarily centered upon a prospect who has never thrown a major league inning.

Even if Newcomb turns out to be a very good pitcher, this is probably still a good deal for the Angels.

We still have Weaver, Wilson, Shoe, Santiago, Richards, Heaney, Tropeano, Skaggs, Nate Smith.

Yes, a bunch of these names scare me, but here's 9 guys that could compete at the Major League level. It's not like we are going to be struggling to put a 5 man rotation out there. Yes we hurt our future a bit (possibly) but this tells me Eppler is aggressive and this team might go all in an open the checkbook. I'm sure there are also going to be a few young guys in the minors that take steps forward this year as well. I'm optimistic.

Yes, still plenty there to field a competitive rotation. Same 5 that got us to Game 162 last year, plus help in the wings, and an already improved defense. Fix up the pen and get a couple bats and we looking good.

Eppler is going to acquire a pitcher. He's not dumb enough to actually base half the rotation on the performances of Jered Weaver and CJ Wilson.

My guess is, they'll sign Cueto, trade Shoe and and Santiago for prospects, and handle Skaggs with kiddy gloves. Meaning we'll roll with Cueto, Richards, Heaney, Weav and Wilson to start the year. By May it'll be Cueto, Richards, Heaney, Wilson and Tropeano. By July, Cueto, Richards, Heaney, Tropeano and Skaggs.

Cueto has been awful in the American league, granted in a small sample size. I'd stay away. Wilson will be in the rotation this year as long as he's healthy and so will Weaver. They may acquire an arm at the deadline, but I doubt they go for an ace now.

I think with the addition of Simmons, they need to up the offense and thats where the FA dollars will be spent.

Cueto has been awful in the American league, granted in a small sample size. I'd stay away. Wilson will be in the rotation this year as long as he's healthy and so will Weaver. They may acquire an arm at the deadline, but I doubt they go for an ace now.

I think with the addition of Simmons, they need to up the offense and thats where the FA dollars will be spent.

Completely disagree.  The Angels don't have anything to trade with to get an arm at the deadline.  They know they are going to have to spend the money to get that arm here and this off-season is the time.

Cueto is the answer.  No draft pick lost and he is a very good pitcher.  Don't let the small sample size in KC ruin a proven history.

It's important to also consider just how pitching heavy Depoto's drafts have been. The system is going to produce few if any position players but we should be producing several major league arms, even if the best guys are now gone. A defense first focus will help get the most out of a large number of quality arms that lacks an ace.

As far as pitching prospects go, we still have Tropeano, Gatto, Smith, McGowin and Green.  The rest are an ecclectic mix of future relievers that are pretending to be starting pitchers like Alfonso Alcantara. 

They aren't bad, especially in Tropeano and Gatto's case, who both figure to be #3-4-5 starters.  The rest get labeled with the dreaded backend or swing starter label, which isn't easily broken.  Just ask Shoemaker. 

It's important to also consider just how pitching heavy Depoto's drafts have been. The system is going to produce few if any position players but we should be producing several major league arms, even if the best guys are now gone. A defense first focus will help get the most out of a large number of quality arms that lacks an ace.

Jahmai Jones is going to be really good. Like top tier prospect eventually. Even Ward is top tier at his position. 

Edited by Shane

This will help I think ... the Rangers are paying Elvis Andrus $80M over the next five years lol

I find it hard to laugh at other teams overpaying free agents. We are paying big money for one who doesn't even play for us anymore, and another who peaked before he got here.