• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Brandon Phillips

OregonLAA

Would you trade for him? He's basically a salary dump. Still ok with the bat and amazing on defense. Don't know how much he's still owed though.

Oregon, he's still got two more years on his current contract, $13M in 2016, and $14M in 2017.

Things would be interesting with Phillips at second, Simmons at SS, and Longoria at 3B.  Then put someone like Gordon in LF.  The pitchers would throw a party!

Edited by tomsred

The theme will be that the new 2B plays much better defense than the lack of range Giovatella.

Think the Fish would bite on a Santiago, Giovatella, and one prospect for Dee Gordon trade? They can always then flip Santiago to someone else.

I know, pipe dream. One can only dream though.

Edited by Angel Oracle

The theme will be that the new 2B plays much better defense than the lack of range Giovatella.

Think the Fish would bite on a Santiago, Giovatella, and one prospect for Dee Gordon trade? They can always then flip Santiago to someone else.

"One prospect" if the team even has that now hahaha. I just don't see Gordon happening, he would cost a lot more than that (and a lot more than I'd be comfortable giving up now). Second base should get addressed, though. Be interesting to see what route they go now.

"One prospect" if the team even has that now hahaha. I just don't see Gordon happening, he would cost a lot more than that (and a lot more than I'd be comfortable giving up now). Second base should get addressed, though. Be interesting to see what route they go now.

2nd base is definitely not a priority. LF, 3b, starter, bullpen, and then 2nd if you have money left over. Who knows, maybe Simmons teaches Gio a thing or two about fielding and Gio teaches Simmons a thing or two about hitting.

They would want Ward and our 2 top Arms in Class A

They would want Ward and our 2 top Arms in Class A

I think it would take a lot more to get Gordon. Probably Santiago and Gia + Ward and another prospect or two. And even then it probably would not happen. Gordon coming off a gold glove year, batting champion, young and inexpensive - there is no incentive for the Marlins to trade him. 

But man... if the opportunity opened itself, I would trade all of the above. Completely gut the farm, Idc. It would give us a team that is practically all 27 y/o and under team controlled guys (I'm going out on a limb and assuming we sign Heyward). It would be a tremendous run for the next 5 years as all of our young players play into their prime. We would have 5 or so years to replenish the farm. 

As for Phillips, I don't really like it. He is great defensively, but he has been below average with the bat for the past couple of seasons. I would much rather sign Howie who is decent defensively and has much better offensive numbers. On top of that, we would get 34-35 y/o Phillips.

I say try to sign Howie for 3/30-36 on team home-town discount. He has been in LA his hole career and I'd imagine he would take a small salary cut to go back to the team he grew up through and stay home. We would get his 32-35 years. Having said that, Howie isn't worth losing a pick, but I believe we will lose the pick anyways through another signing (Heyward/Upton). If so, bring on Howie as well. 

Looking at fangraphs defensive ratings for last season.

The tops was Dee Gordon.  At 8.6.  But at 8.5, just a small knotch below is Addison Russell and Ian Kinsler at 8.5.  I think Gordon and Russell are untouchable.  Kinsler though, is worth a call since he could also leadoff.  After that it drops to the 6 range with 3 young kids and Omar Inafante.  He's signed for an affordable 3 more years, so doubt the Royals would want to deal him.

5.5 is Altuve and he's not going anywhere. 

Then the 4 Range.  4.2 Petersen on Atlanta, and 4.1 Phillips who we know Cincinatti is in a deal mode.  

Kendrick BTW was a -2.8 and Utley was a -0.9.  

And if we take a last 3 year snapshot.  PEdroia was tops 37.1.  Phillips was tied for second 24.9 with Kinsler.  others were Utley 12.9 and Kendrick 10.6.  Zobrist is tough because he switched around but was a 11.9.  

And the problem with Zobrist is I have seen a lot of teams interested in him on MLBTraderumors.

Looking at fangraphs defensive ratings for last season.

The tops was Dee Gordon.  At 8.6.  But at 8.5, just a small knotch below is Addison Russell and Ian Kinsler at 8.5.  I think Gordon and Russell are untouchable.  Kinsler though, is worth a call since he could also leadoff.  After that it drops to the 6 range with 3 young kids and Omar Inafante.  He's signed for an affordable 3 more years, so doubt the Royals would want to deal him.

5.5 is Altuve and he's not going anywhere. 

Then the 4 Range.  4.2 Petersen on Atlanta, and 4.1 Phillips who we know Cincinatti is in a deal mode.  

Kendrick BTW was a -2.8 and Utley was a -0.9.  

And if we take a last 3 year snapshot.  PEdroia was tops 37.1.  Phillips was tied for second 24.9 with Kinsler.  others were Utley 12.9 and Kendrick 10.6.  Zobrist is tough because he switched around but was a 11.9.  

And the problem with Zobrist is I have seen a lot of teams interested in him on MLBTraderumors.

Wow, I did not realize that. Thanks for the info. 

I'd still like a push for him though, without looking at the numbers I think he has been a solid 2nd baseman defensively throughout his career. Plus he brings that solid offensive production from 2b.