• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Alex Gordon?

nikkachez

I know he's not the sexiest option, but he'll be going into his age 32 season, so I imagine his contract will be a lot more reasonable than another defensive star (Heyward), I think he'll got a contract anywhere from 4-5 years for $75-$100 million. He will most likely cost a draft pick, I know that's a selling point for a lot here (seeing as how it's burned the team before), but there are ton of ways to add prospects. And I, for one, think a player of Gordon's caliber is worth losing a pick for. He's easily one of the best defensive outfielders in the game, he's got an absolute hose on that right shoulder of his, he's a left handed bat (which I know the Angels prefer), and he adds a pretty good OBP (his OBP since his breakout 2011 season: .376, .368, .327, .351, .377). Great doubles hitter, so I think he doesn't have to worry about losing power numbers in the Big A. Just after seeing Trout and Kole finish as Gold Glove finalists (yes, I know, not a perfect example for defensive value), I really want to see the defense made air-tight. Gordon makes the outfield defense tremendous which helps out the pitching staff AND offense (less pressure to score more runs). 

It doesn't break the bank either and still leaves room for other moves to fix third base, bolster the bench and pen, and then have the luxury of adding another big piece or tow if Arte decides to blow past the threshold. You could eat half of CJ's contract and flip him to save $10 million, Hector could also be traded to save $4-5 million, non-tendering or even trading Salas saves another $2 million. Sign a Mike Leake who I'm sure would embrace a biiiig ballpark and a top notch defense. I also like the idea of bringing Lackey back, but I'm sure a lot of you are against that for his departing comments after 2009. If Arte wants to, I certainly wouldn't oppose the idea of Price. Martin Prado fixes third base, brings a nice contact bat with a decent OBP, solid defense, and a versatility. Take a gamble on Gyun-Ho Park out of the KBO, flip Cron for some prospects. A veteran backstop would be nice

Maybe something like

1. Gordon LF

2. Prado 3B

3. Trout CF

4. Pujols 1B/DH

5. Calhoun RF

6. Park DH/1B

7. Aybar SS

8. Perez C

9. Giavotella 2B (really only the real defensive liability unless they decide to upgrade here)

The rotation in no particular order: Leake/Lackey, Richards, Heaney, Skaggs, Weaver, Shoemaker, Tropeano. 

Trade CJ, Hector, and Cron to help replenish the farm, save money, and offset the loss of the draft pick. 

What do you guys think? Is Gordon the solution for left? Should Eppler build the team around pitching and defense?

I don't like the idea of targeting Gordon as a free agent. Yes he is exactly the type of player we need but there are a lot of question marks. He extracts a lot of his value from elite defense at an offensive first position. He's 32 and coming off a strong decline in his defensive ratings after a significant groin injury. Sure he could get healthy but he is already at the age where defense and speed starts to naturally decline and players miss time due to injury, and since he's already at a corner, we can't move him down the defensive spectrum.

If we sign him I expect he will cost a draft pick and a lot of money. We should not expect above average defense out of him, or too many homers. The OBP will fall some as well, but he should maintain his status as an above average hitter for awhile, I just don't know how long we can expect him to remain an above average player for his position.

I agree with the ones who think he'll be tough to pry away from KC, but I feel like we hear this every offseason, some player is committed to the team and will re-sign. And then they pull a Pujols with St. Louis or Tex with us. If he is willing to leave, he should be our top target.

I like it as well, fits in perfectly as LF hitting in front of trout. That outfield would be insane, with three gold glove caliber outfielders.

Who would you rather pick up Gordon or Zobrist? I think both fit the mold pretty well.

Only thing I would like to see however, is more speed. Gordon brings decent speed and advanced baserunnung but i would like to see a legit steal threat atop the lineup. I would love to see pitchers throwing to trout while being relentlessly interrupted by a baserunner. Ben revere would be soooo nice. But yeah, on board with Gordon.

I agree with the ones who think he'll be tough to pry away from KC, but I feel like we hear this every offseason, some player is committed to the team and will re-sign. And then they pull a Pujols with St. Louis or Tex with us. If he is willing to leave, he should be our top target.

of course we all know the nature of free agency, but gordon isn't going to command pujols or tex money. kansas city has to be mindful of payroll, but i'd put my money on him resigning.