• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Scott Servais front-runner for Mariners manager job

A Dipoto/Servais combo all but guarantees they will do everything in their power to slaughter the Angels in the 19 or so games against them, and you know what, I'd be really surprised if they failed.

They know Scioscia's ineptitude for advanced metrics and will use this to their advantage.

Just like how the A's kicked our ass this past season.

Honestly our drafts under Dipoto and Servais has left a lot to be desired.

agreed. Theres still time, some of their picks can still pan out, but i cant really think of anyone off the top of my head weve drafter over the last 4 years whos considered a decent prospect.

Did they draft calhoun?

And that catcher we drafted dirst better at least make it as a mlb backup

Slaughtered?

We are 10 games over .500 vs Oakland since 2004.

Their best record against us during that time was 11-8

That isn't much to be proud of.  Oakland does what they do with a constantly changing parade of no name unproven players.  The Angels have had (on paper) much better talent but per your numbers, we're only 10 games above .500? 

I've said this before and I will say it again.  The key to winning the division on a regular basis is dominating your division rivals.  We have about 76 games against the A's, Mariners, Rangers, and Astros which is almost half the season. Dipoto/Servais understand the urgency there.  Scioscia not so much.  I hope Eppler can convince him otherwise.

That isn't much to be proud of. Oakland does what they do with a constantly changing parade of no name unproven players. The Angels have had (on paper) much better talent but per your numbers, we're only 10 games above .500?

I've said this before and I will say it again. The key to winning the division on a regular basis is dominating your division rivals. We have about 76 games against the A's, Mariners, Rangers, and Astros which is almost half the season. Dipoto/Servais understand the urgency there. Scioscia not so much. I hope Eppler can convince him otherwise.

Ok using your same 15 year comparison and your sense of urgency/regular season reasoning, what team in the AL West has had the most regular season success?

agreed. Theres still time, some of their picks can still pan out, but i cant really think of anyone off the top of my head weve drafter over the last 4 years whos considered a decent prospect.

Did they draft calhoun?

And that catcher we drafted dirst better at least make it as a mlb backup

What about Newcomb?

He was a major league catcher...no better education.

Joe Girardi bench coached the Yankees for 1 season before getting the Miami manager job.

Joe Torre came from the broadcast booth.

Torre was the manager of the Mets and,Braves before his broadcasting stint. Then he managed the Cardinals before taking the Yankees job. Edited by notti

excellent

he has gutted most of the m's organization from top to bottom, from coaches to trainers to scourts...something we've needed for the better part of a decade

the m's aren't going to contend anytime soon, but i like most of these new hires and potential new hires

i'll bet dipoto is glad to be able to be a GM instead of a co-GM with sausage

The M's aren't going to content anytime soon ... really ?

LMAO

Edited by Troll Daddy

What exactly did he do that makes you say this?

Servais was a master in regards to rebuilding a farm system and building a team of coaches, coordinators and scouts at every level of player development.  He's been largely credited with Texas' farm system being the way it is and played a central role in the Angels restructuring theirs.  What would've been his capstone achievement had he succeeded would've been an entirely new international program.  He pressed for a certain portion of the budget to be allotted.  He wanted a new head scout in the Dominican Republic, to go along with all new scouts, a new academy and a small group to cover Japan and Korea.  Dipoto and Arte discussed it, Arte didn't like the numbers and told Dipoto to find a compromise.  This resulted in an entirely new complex, but no new scouts in Latin America or Asia. 

Servais and Scioscia REALLY butt heads in his time here.  The minor leagues had always been indoctrinated with what Scioscia felt was "the Angel way", and once Servais took over, a great deal of that changed.  Scioscia didn't agree with Servais on player development or how they handled certain players, particularly catchers. 

I honestly can't speak for Scott Servais' ability in the dugout, but I can say that as part of the front office, he was the best.  I think had the Angels kept Dipoto and managed to keep Servais as well, in just a few more years they'd have a top ranked system. 

That isn't much to be proud of.  Oakland does what they do with a constantly changing parade of no name unproven players.  The Angels have had (on paper) much better talent but per your numbers, we're only 10 games above .500? 

I've said this before and I will say it again.  The key to winning the division on a regular basis is dominating your division rivals.  We have about 76 games against the A's, Mariners, Rangers, and Astros which is almost half the season. Dipoto/Servais understand the urgency there.  Scioscia not so much.  I hope Eppler can convince him otherwise.

Just responding to your claim that we had been slaughtered by Oakland, which wasn't the case

if

We had the best record vs the West in our division - 4 games better than Houston and 6 better than Texas.