• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Joe Maddon this post season...

Bunts - check

Early bunts with less than two outs -- check

Sitting Schwarber the day after a HR -  check

Talking about "turning the page" after a loss - check

Talked about "one game at a time" - check

Quotable Mike Scioscia is being very Mike Scioscia......  like always.

Bunts - check

Sitting Schwarber the day after a HR - check

Quotable Mike Scioscia is being very Mike Scioscia...... like always.

Mic drop

Well done

Edited by ten ocho recon scout

Seriously, Joe is a great manager who's inventive and doesn't always go by the book. A players manager in my eyes. Scioscia is equally as good ..: just different styles of managing.

Rooting for you Joe!

I'm not trying to disparage Maddon, I'm actually pulling for him and the Cubs.  But, I do get a massive kick out of all the people who act as if Joe Maddon is anything other than Mike Scioscia with a personality.  

I got a daily dose of Rays games while living in Florida..  The contact play, squeezes, bunts, daily lineup changes, automatic lefty/righty platoons.  Slappy hitters batting cleanup ....  All those things were as common under Maddon as they are under MS.  The big difference between the two managers is in how they interact with the media..   MS is always the same..  same canned answers, same tone, same boring OGAAT mantra....  Joe talks a lot more and is a funny, quotable guy...   But other than occasionally bringing in a witch doctor/shaman/medicine man into the clubhouse they are really quite similar.  Both preach patience (OGAAT), both are pitching and defense oriented -- both play for the one run lead.  So, when Maddon responded to questions about the loss and his decision making yesterday and went right to the "Turn the page" (he actually said those exact words), and taking it one game at a time (he calls it going on one game win streaks), I decided to bring attention to it.  

Edited by Inside Pitch

Friedman who forgot to build a bullpen with the 300 million he had to spend ?  Donnie Mattingly is gonna take the bullet but, anointed baseball genius Andrew Friedman decided to make the Dodgers starting rotation depend on McCarthy, and again....after watching his team implode in the playoffs with no bullpen in 2014, he did nothing to address the issue in 2015.  The Dodgers have a good farm system, Friedman and his brain trust failed to get the starting pitcher everyone in the universe knew they needed at the trade deadline.  So, really who cares what Friedman's approach is, other then playing the system a little bit to get them a few more draft picks, I haven't seen Friedman do anything special.  

Totally off topic I know, but I just don't get the Friedman love fest....K sorry.

Edited by UndertheHalo

Friedman who forgot to build a bullpen with the 300 million he had to spend ? Donnie Mattingly is gonna take the bullet but, anointed baseball genius Andrew Friedman decided to make the Dodgers starting rotation depend on McCarthy, and again....after watching his team implode in the playoffs with no bullpen in 2014, he did nothing to address the issue in 2015. The Dodgers have a good farm system, Friedman and his brain trust failed to get the starting pitcher everyone in the universe knew they needed at the trade deadline. So, really who cares what Friedman's approach is, other then playing the system a little bit to get them a few more draft picks, I haven't seen Friedman do anything special.

Totally off topic I know, but I just don't get the Friedman love fest....K sorry.

Lol your post went way off topic. I have no special love for friedman and agree he totally failed to build a bullpen. The dodgers are a joke and should have known how important a pen is after watching kc last year.

Is there any difference between how they approach the game sabremetrically though? Maddon worked under Friedman for years and from all accounts that was a happy marriage, unlike the scioscia and dipoto fling.

I think it's more a case of Joe having been a fan of stats and open to listening to others who believed in them.  He was famous for keeping his own database with some peculiar stats, not the traditional ones you see associated with sabremetrics.

Bunts - check

Sitting Schwarber the day after a HR -  check

Quotable Mike Scioscia is being very Mike Scioscia......  like always.

Help me out with the difference between 1 and 2.

Does 1 mean bunts for base hits?

Help me out with the difference between 1 and 2.

Does 1 mean bunts for base hits?

I was belaboring the point -- but yeah, I was referring to bunts of any kind really....   People around here seem to have issues with bunts..  but they tend to lose their minds whenever MS bunts with less than two outs because only an idiot (Scioscia) does that....   especially early in the game..   

Edited by Inside Pitch