• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Orange County Register: Despite coaching changes, Mike Scioscia said relationship with Angels GM Billy Eppler is working

If you read the article, I can tell you what the difference is between Eppler letting Butcher and Baylor go and Dipoto letting Hatcher go... and Scioscia mentions it when he says, "Butch has a lot to offer. I know he’ll get a role and be a terrific pitching coach."

Butcher very well may get another shot at being a pitching coach.... there is no ****ing way in hell that any other team and I mean ANY. OTHER. TEAM. would ever hire Mickey ****ing Hatcher to be their ball boy, let alone, their hitting coach.

Scioscia said the status of the rest of the coaches will be determined shortly. He said meetings are planned next week with Eppler and the coaching staff as they begin to chart a course for the winter.

More firings coming?  Because that statement isn't a ringing endorsement that all the remaining coaches are coming back.

Basically it's not the fans business to know whether the manager no GM disagree or not. The big mistake in the past was making anything like this public in the first place. I wouldn't be at all surprised to know that Scioscia and Eppler agreed that nothing of that sort would ever be publicly aired again. So get used to it folks, I think all you're going to get in the future is the culmination of what's been decided, not individual opinions and disagreements, and that is how it should be.

Edited by tomsred

Scioscia is sure active in shaping Eppler's first impressions. 

This is all part of Scioscia's M.O. -- he has to exercise his power around Eppler right away, otherwise he loses it.  As I said in another thread, it's horribly unhealthy for Mike.  The dude needs to take his wife on a vacation far, far away, and let Eppler settle in for a couple weeks.  No e-mails, no phone calls, no text messages.  Just let Eppler do his thing without interference. 

Eppler worked for the Yankees. Not the Diamondbacks or Rockies but the Yankees under the Steinbrenners. He is from the toughest media market in sports and knows how to handle difficult cases. He is not Dipoto, nor is he Reagins and I think if you pay attention you will find he is going to be much more productive than any GM we've had previously.

Eppler worked for the Yankees. Not the Diamondbacks or Rockies but the Yankees under the Steinbrenners. He is from the toughest media market in sports and knows how to handle difficult cases. He is not Dipoto, nor is he Reagins and I think if you pay attention you will find he is going to be much more productive than any GM we've had previously.

I'm hoping for the best -- but it will take a lot of doing to outproduce Bill Stoneman v1..  Lack of trades aside, his overhaul of the Angels was pretty amazing.

Funny how Scioscia is suddenly, and uncharacteristically, so warm and fuzzy about a GM.

Maybe it is blowback from the Dipoto episode, and MS knows his attitude is under real scrutiny?

Maybe Arte introduced Eppler to MS as his new boss? 

Something is sure different in the tone of things...It's like Mike is kissing butt.

Guess this means he wont be opting out.

I'm hoping for the best -- but it will take a lot of doing to outproduce Bill Stoneman v1..  Lack of trades aside, his overhaul of the Angels was pretty amazing.

Stoneman started with a better core on the field and in the minors to work with and inserted a lot of bench filler that was better than anything that trotted out last season. Then when Moreno took the financial reigns Stoneman had huge payroll flexibility to buy what was needed, like Vlad. He was as big of an impact player the Angels ever acquired and you just don't see guys like him on the market anymore.

That is where Billy is going to have to out manuever Bill in roster assembly. He has a weak minors, and a low payroll ceiling. He has his version of Mo Vaughn that is un-tradeable but to counter balance that one of the top five players in baseball. His areas of concern is SS aging out, 2B teetering the edge of being reliable, 3B being uncertain if the rookies can play at this level, a black hole in left field and a bench that is completely replaceable.

On the plus side he has pitching, pitching and more pitching that is actually better than the 2002 team minus maybe a K-Rod phenom but he didn't arrive until the last two weeks of the season. So instead of saying Eppler has a 2002 team he really has a 2001 team, not quite ready and in need of repair.

The least of his problems right now is his manager.