• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Your MLB Awards Predictions

mancini79

AL MVP: Donaldson - This will be a close one with Trout. You can't really fault anyone for voting for either player. I think Trout lost the MVP with his dismal Aug.

NL MVP: Harper - Nobody else will come close. Guy had a monster year and had the best year for all MLB position players.

AL Cy Young: Keuchel - What a toss up between he and Price. This might be one of the closest CY Young votes to date. I'm a WHIP guy and Keuchel was barely better.

NL Cy Young: Greinke - Had the lowest ERA in 20 years. Arrieta gave Grienke a run for the award with his 2nd half. But Zack still pulled off a lower ERA and WHIP.

AL ROY: Correa - At first I thought this was a no brainer, until I looked at Francisco Lindor's numbers. That said, Correa hit 22 hr's in 99 games. That's huge.

NL ROY: Bryant - Clear winner.

AL Manager: AJ Hinch - Nobody thought the Astros would be competitive for another couple years. He managed to get the kids firing on all cylinders and kept the team together down the stretch for being so young.

NL Manager: Madden - First year with the Cubs and takes the team to the playoffs. Guy just knows how to win.

AL Comeback Player: Chris Davis - I just refuse to vote ARod for any award.

NL Comeback Player: Matt Harvey - He bounced back from TJ surgery and looks like he didn't miss a step.

AL MVP : Trout.  If youre going off of the name of the award, its Trout.  If youre using the NBA MVP criteria (best player on best team), its Donaldson.  Trout lead the league in SLG, and OPS.  He hit 41 homers, while playing in a pitchers park and in a division with pitcher friendly stadiums, in a division with 2 other playoff teams, and a team with King Felix and Iwakuma.  

NL MVP: Harper

AL Cy Young: Keuchel.  He went 15-0 at home, im pretty sure that hasnt happened in a while.  He led the league in Wins, WHIP, and innings pitched.  A pitcher leading in those 3 categories also probably hasnt happened in a while.  

NL Cy Young:  Arrieta.  This one is easy, even though Greinke and Kershaw both had great years.  Wins arent a defining stat, but it still counts for something.  22 wins should normally get you a Cy Young.  He was 2nd in IP, ERA, and WHIP, while playing at Wrigley, and playing in a division with the Cardinals and Pirates.  Greinke and Kershaw both benefit from playing in a pitchers park, in a terrible division.  

These arent necessarily who I think will win.  But this is who should win.  

AL MVP: Donaldson - This will be a close one with Trout. You can't really fault anyone for voting for either player. I think Trout lost the MVP with his dismal Aug.

NL MVP: Harper - Nobody else will come close. Guy had a monster year and had the best year for all MLB position players.

AL Cy Young: Keuchel - What a toss up between he and Price. This might be one of the closest CY Young votes to date. I'm a WHIP guy and Keuchel was barely better.

NL Cy Young: Greinke - Had the lowest ERA in 20 years. Arrieta gave Grienke a run for the award with his 2nd half. But Zack still pulled off a lower ERA and WHIP.

AL ROY: Correa - At first I thought this was a no brainer, until I looked at Francisco Lindor's numbers. That said, Correa hit 22 hr's in 99 games. That's huge.

NL ROY: Bryan - Clear winner.

AL Manager: AJ Hinch - Nobody thought the Astros would be competitive for another couple years. He managed to get the kids firing on all cylinders and kept the team together down the stretch for being so young.

NL Manager: Madden - First year with the Cubs and takes the team to the playoffs. Guy just knows how to win.

NL Comeback Player: Matt Harvey - He bounced back from TJ surgery and looks like he didn't miss a step.

You do realize Davis is a steroid user as well.

NL ROY: Bryan - Clear winner.

I think the guy in Pitt deserves a lot of consideration for NL MOY -- pretty much agree everywhere else...

You do realize Davis is a steroid user as well.

He didn't actually state a reason WHY he wouldn't vote for Arod, but if his issue is with guys who used PEDs you are wrong... Davis wasn't popped for roids, he was popped for adderall.

I think both Arrieta and Kershaw are more deserving of the Cy than Greinke. I'd probably vote Arrieta-Kershaw-Greinke.

Keuchel or Price - I'd need to take a closer look at their numbers.

Harper should be unanimous.

I'd probably have to vote Donaldson over Trout. The advanced metrics are close, and Donaldson's counting stats are superior.

NL Cy Young:  Arrieta.  This one is easy, even though Greinke and Kershaw both had great years.  Wins arent a defining stat, but it still counts for something.  22 wins should normally get you a Cy Young.  He was 2nd in IP, ERA, and WHIP, while playing at Wrigley, and playing in a division with the Cardinals and Pirates.  Greinke and Kershaw both benefit from playing in a pitchers park, in a terrible division.  

Arrieta is a great choice for NL Cy Young...  But for the record.... Wrigley has been playing like a slight pitcher's park for a while now -- at worst it's a neutral park.  It's also worth pointing out that getting to pitch against the Cardinals isn't really a bad thing -- their offense is worse than the Angels offense having posted an OPS+ of 94.  The Pirates (97 OPS+).  Milwaukee (90 OPS+), and Cinci (92 OPS+) are all below league average offenses, meanwhile both the D-Backs and Giants have better offenses than anyone in the NL Central..   Lastly, while you think the NL west is awful -- the NL Central has two teams with 94 or more losses compared to one in the NL West.

So, while Arrieta is a worthy CY candidate, your bullet points don't really support your stated reasoning.   Arrieta is a much flashier guy but what Grienke has done has been awesome.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Arrieta is a great choice for NL Cy Young... But for the record.... Wrigley has been playing like a slight pitcher's park for a while now -- at worst it's a neutral park. It's also worth pointing out that getting to pitch against the Cardinals isn't really a bad thing -- their offense is worse than the Angels offense having posted an OPS+ of 94. The Pirates (97 OPS+). Milwaukee (90 OPS+), and Cinci (92 OPS+) are all below league average offenses, meanwhile both the D-Backs and Giants have better offenses than anyone in the NL Central.. Lastly, while you think the NL west is awful -- the NL Central has two teams with 94 or more losses compared to one in the NL West.

So, while Arrieta is a worthy CY candidate, your bullet points don't really support your stated reasoning. Arrieta is a much flashier guy but what Grienke has done has been awesome.

Didnt know all that. I assumed the Cards and Pirates were good offensively. Not sure I agree with Wrigley though, compared to Dodger Stadium its a much harder place to pitch.

Arrieta is a great choice for NL Cy Young...  But for the record.... Wrigley has been playing like a slight pitcher's park for a while now -- at worst it's a neutral park.  It's also worth pointing out that getting to pitch against the Cardinals isn't really a bad thing -- their offense is worse than the Angels offense having posted an OPS+ of 94.  The Pirates (97 OPS+).  Milwaukee (90 OPS+), and Cinci (92 OPS+) are all below league average offenses, meanwhile both the D-Backs and Giants have better offenses than anyone in the NL Central..   Lastly, while you think the NL west is awful -- the NL Central has two teams with 94 or more losses compared to one in the NL West.

So, while Arrieta is a worthy CY candidate, your bullet points don't really support your stated reasoning.   Arrieta is a much flashier guy but what Grienke has done has been awesome.

I wonder why it has the rep for being a hitter's park.

It's a hitters park when the wind is blowing out.

It's a pitcher's DREAM when the wind is blowing in.

The prevailing weather patterns have always had a huge say in the Cubs fortunes over the years.

Longtime players, especially pitchers, will tell you that the first thing they would do in the morning after pouring their coffee, was to go outside check where the wind was from.

Pop ups to right often end up in shallow left. Crushed balls can end up being run in on by outfielders. Balls that look out of play off the bat. are sometimes outs.

Rizzo, Schwarber, and in the old days...Dave Kingman... could hit em out against the wind.

I think Kingman had almost 50 one year in the late 70's.

Guys like Santo and Sandberg learned to hit low liners to keep them under the bleachers.  

AL MVP: Donaldson- Won't be close even though it should be. Trout had the better all around year but played for a non playoff team and the lack of any support in the lineup killed Trout's counting stats. However, Donaldson is a great choice for MVP. This isn't Miggy/Trout all over again.

NL MVP: Harper- No questions asked

AL CY: Keuchel- Price had a slightly better year but Keuchel has more wins and the 15-0 home record which voters will love. Both guys are deserving.

NL CY: Arrieta- Probably the best CY race in MLB history. Greinke has the all time great ERA. Kershaw has the all time great peripherals. Arrieta had the all time great 2nd half and had a no hitter. Put a bullet to my head and I've vote Kershaw but Arrieta will win and I won't complain one bit. 

AL ROY: Correa- Lindor should win and it's actually not all that close even though Correa was awesome. Lindor put up 4.6 WAR in 99 games. His 128 wRC+ was lower than Correa's 133 wRC+ but Lindor was otherworldly defensively. The Astros being in the playoffs helps too. 

NL ROY: Bryant- Won't be close even though this is a great NL class. Duffy, Kang, Thor could've won in many other years but Bryant put up 6.5 WAR in his first season. Dude is going to be a stud for the foreseeable future. 

^^ I wouldnt say Price had a better year.  When you lead the league in WHIP, and Innings pitched, and you have the league lead in wins to go with it, youre the Cy young no matter what.

Price had the lower ERA and FIP and had the better K rate, BB rate and WAR. It's a very close race. I'm not claiming Price was substantially better. I do give him the slight edge but think he'll ultimately lose out to Keuchel. 

I think Prince gets AL Comeback. Missed virtually all of '14 with a pretty serious neck injury. Overcame some personal issues as well that had lingered since his Tigers days. Plus he doesn't have Arod's baggage. All Davis came back from is a crappy year, albeit one in which he still hit 26 dingers.

Totally forgot about Prince. He thought he was never going to play baseball again. I change my vote to Prince.

AL MVP: Josh Donaldson (edging out Mike Trout)

NL MVP: Bryce Harper (edging out Jake Arrieta)

AL Cy Young: Dallas Keuchel (edging out David Price)

NL Cy Young: Jake Arrieta (edging out Greinke/Kershaw)

AL ROTY: Carlos Correa (edging out Francisco Lindor)

NL ROTY: Kris Bryant (edging out Matt Duffy)

AL MOTY: A. J. Hinch (edging out Jeff Banister)

NL MOTY: Joe Maddon (edging out Terry Collins) 

AL Comeback POTY: Kendrys Morales (edging out Pay Rod)

NL Comeback POTY: Matt Harvey (edging out Bryce Harper)

Edited by Angel Oracle

I wonder why it has the rep for being a hitter's park.

Its a really really weird park..   The wind patterns tend to make for some really odd fluctuations from year to year (sometimes from day to day) -- Dodger Stadium has shown a similar tendency to have oddball seasons while being primarily a pitcher park..   Looking at the data at Stats Inc, Wrigley has had several seasons in recent years where it played like a HR park but didn't really influence scoring as much as you would think so it played like a slight pitcher's park.   It had one year where it was a severe hitter's park and yet it had a negative impact on HRs...  Just really oddball stuff.  But for whatever reasons it's most recent three year sample rates it at as a 99 on the 100 being neutral scale.

Edited by Inside Pitch

It's a hitters park when the wind is blowing out.

It's a pitcher's DREAM when the wind is blowing in.

The prevailing weather patterns have always had a huge say in the Cubs fortunes over the years.

Longtime players, especially pitchers, will tell you that the first thing they would do in the morning after pouring their coffee, was to go outside check where the wind was from.

Pop ups to right often end up in shallow left. Crushed balls can end up being run in on by outfielders. Balls that look out of play off the bat. are sometimes outs.

Rizzo, Schwarber, and in the old days...Dave Kingman... could hit em out against the wind.

I think Kingman had almost 50 one year in the late 70's.

Guys like Santo and Sandberg learned to hit low liners to keep them under the bleachers.  

I wonder if the construction going on around there will end up having any lasting effects on how that park plays.   You have to figure a guy like Theo would really like to have some sort of consistent pattern as he goes about building his teams.

Those new big scoreboard/ jumbotrons have got to impact it some, but the buildings are already there and have been since I can remember..and actually the wind blows mostly across the park most of the time...seldom straight in or out. More of a quartering wind, if anyone is a sailor/boater.

Plus the wind itself is strong enough to do whatever it is going to do.

It's the Big Windy for a reason.

Max Scherzer gets my vote for NL Cy Young. Two no-hitters in the same season, 276 K's in 229 innings, solid  2.79 ETA and 0.92 WHIP.

Wins are decided by your offense and defense. Dude would have won 30 games with the type of season he had.