• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

LA Times: Battle between Angels, StubHub picks up steam

I wonder how many season ticket holders the Angels would have without StubHub.  I wonder how many more empty seats there would be at games.

You can get a pair of Angels tickets for $10 to tonight's game.  Yankees are usually around  $60.   There is no comparison.  Not sure how this approach would work for the Angels.   

You mean season seat holders who re-sale Yanks/Sox game tix for more than they paid?

I got the email for Stubhub too.

I'm of the same opinion that the owner of the ticket is the buyer...

FYI.  In California, this is how the scalping law reads right now I believe.

http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/346.html

346. Any person who, without the written permission of the owner or
operator of the property on which an entertainment event is to be
held or is being held, sells a ticket of admission to the
entertainment event, which was obtained for the purpose of resale, at
any price which is in excess of the price that is printed or
endorsed upon the ticket, while on the grounds of or in the stadium,
arena, theater, or other place where an event for which admission
tickets are sold
is to be held or is being held, is guilty of a
misdemeanor.

I can honestly say I have seen the stubhub effect take place already. Even though the team has sold tickets, I have noticed a lot more empty seats than in years past. I would imagine that although the Halos are recouping their revenue in original ticket sales, their revenue for concessions will be down significantly more relative to last year.

Arte hasn't won shit.  There is no way the Angels (or any other team/venue/etc) can dictate what I do with a ticket once I purchase it.  If I choose to resell it, that is my business not theirs.  They have their money.  While language might be there on the back of the original ticket that you are only allowed to resell using "XYX Co." there is no way they are going to be able to enforce it without alienating the fan.  And if you want to make sure there are butts in the seats, you don't alienate the fan.

Case closed.

This is the way I see it. Once the team has sold the ticket they have received their revenue for it, and they are not entitled to squat if the ticket is resold, nor should they be able to dictate how it is resold or to whom. The Honda analogy in the story is appropriate. Would you buy a house, for instance, if as a condition of the sale the previous owners insisted on telling you who you must use to resell it and insisted on a cut of the resale price, and the resale was subject to their approval? Once you have sold something it is gone, and you have relinquished all rights to decide what happens to it.

absolutely agree.

honestly, it surprises me that any team thinks they should continue to get a cut from resold tickets. it also reminds me of how the IRS wants to tax inherited money that has already been taxed. it's double dipping, and it's not okay.

Arte hasn't won shit.  There is no way the Angels (or any other team/venue/etc) can dictate what I do with a ticket once I purchase it.  If I choose to resell it, that is my business not theirs.  They have their money.  While language might be there on the back of the original ticket that you are only allowed to resell using "XYX Co." there is no way they are going to be able to enforce it without alienating the fan.  And if you want to make sure there are butts in the seats, you don't alienate the fan.

Case closed.

Yep

Maybe Angels tickets are drastically overpriced at the box office.  

Field MVP tickets are available for tonight for $29.50 on StubHub for tonight's game.  The selection and pricing may even get better in the next hour.  The Angels hate that guy in 127 who probably only goes to 50 games, but puts up thousands of dollars 6-12 months in advance of games.  They don't want him to be able to resell his tickets to at least 2/3 of the games.      

Maybe Angels tickets are drastically overpriced at the box office.  

Field MVP tickets are available for tonight for $29.50 on StubHub for tonight's game.  The selection and pricing may even get better in the next hour.  The Angels hate that guy in 127 who probably only goes to 50 games, but puts up thousands of dollars 6-12 months in advance of games.  They don't want him to be able to resell his tickets to at least 2/3 of the games.      

Oh I don't know.  Field MVP, Section 127, Row N for $18.50 each.  Or Section 127, Row M for $95 each.  It's a tough choice.  But that's the difference between stubhub and Ticketmaster 1 hour before gametime tonight.

I doubt the angels see their attendance drop because of this

This is an interesting topic. There a group of people who only resale Angels tickets to make $$. I'm sort of like that. I have 16 season seats. I have a group of 14 in Lower view that I sell and make a few thousand dollars on each year. However, this only offsets the losses that I have on my Club MVP seats which I use a lot. I could not afford those club MVP's otherwise. If this gets too complicated I will get rid of ll my seats except a few in lower view. That's actually how I started 10 years ago.

The question is: If season ticket holders could not resell how many would give up their seats (my hand raised). My guess is around 3k to 5k.

The question is: If season ticket holders could not resell how many would give up their seats (my hand raised). My guess is around 3k to 5k.

Excellent point. I'm guessing that few, if any, STH attend all 81 home games. If they have paid for an entire season of tickets, money that the Angels can stick in the bank or investments and get a return off of long before the tickets are used, I see no reason that the STH can't make a few bucks by selling the tickets they don't use.