• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dipoto Accepts Seattle GM Job

nando714

Dipoto would've been better off with a young, inexpensive team like the Rockies. The Mariners have too many deep rooted issues with the payroll, player development, etc...

I'm guessing he'll pack up his office a lot sooner this time around.

I disagree..  The Rockies have a lot of issues...  The M's situation is much more stable IMO..    Its possible that the expectations were too set to high after winning 85 games last year...  The Ms have a lot of young guys that have been trying to establish themselves, sometimes it take a bit for it to all come together.   People are forgetting the Ms were the trendy pick to win the AL West and for many, to represent the AL in the WS...  Jerry could make a couple moves, Paxton (sp) could stay healthy finally, Walker could tap into his potential, Zunino could finally get his average over .250 and BOOM -- he's basically got the team that everyone thought had a chance to be world beaters.

They're only on the hook for 78 or so mil in guaranteed contracts next year.  The only FA of note on their roster is Iwakuma....  They could likely bring him back at a decent clip or choose to sign one of the pending FA starters.  There is very little reason to believe they cant be the team many were expecting this year, next season....  

Edited by Inside Pitch

Reading this makes me despise Scioscia even more:

“Jerry impressed us at each step of the process,” said president Kevin Mather in a prepared statement. “He has a very unique skill set, having been a successful player in the Majors, then moving into front offices with steadily increasing responsibilities. Jerry has scouted, spent time in player development and has a track record as a very successful General Manager. During our conversations over the past few weeks, it became clear to me that he has a very solid understanding of our team and organization, both where we are and where we want to be. And he has a strategy to get us there. Few candidates bring the combination of playing the game, scouting, a solid understanding of statistical metrics and a plan for player development. I am looking forward to having Jerry lead our baseball operations for a long time.”

Also, the article on MLBTR also had this in it:

"Dipoto was named GM of the Angels shortly after the 2011 season and served in that capacity until this summer, when he resigned abruptly due to a feud with skipper Mike Scioscia. The manager reportedly took umbrage to Dipoto’s attempts to provide him with analytical data for the purposes of aiding his in-game decision-making, and the dispute escalated to the point where Dipoto walked away from the organization. Many expected Dipoto, a well-regarded executive, to ultimately land another GM gig, and after a brief stop as a senior adviser with the Red Sox, it appears he’s done just that."

I know there are people here that either doubt or don't want to believe this but it sure seems like it's legit. If you still don't think Scioscia has the power he does, I have some beach front property in Arizona I'd like to sell you.

As much as people on here like to point out that this is an "Angelswin fact", this narrative is as you point out just about universal among sportswriters and analysts. Edited by ScottLux

I'm truly curious if anyone actually made those kind of comments or if this is just failo bs.

Of course not. This is the thing with guys who hate Scioscia, if you don't hate him and don't blame him for everything then you are either a nutswinger or an apologist. I think Scioscia is a solid manager that does more good than bad, so I am an apologist, despite the fact that I am completely fine with the Angels going a different direction and I also believe that if the Angels don't make the playoffs he will be gone.

Cruz, a non-stomach bugged Cano, and Seager say hello.

All of those guys hit over .300 at Safeco.

Fact is ... if you can hit the ball ... you can hit anywhere.

So really the problem is just finding hitters.

Jerry will absolutely find quality bats for you.

signed,

Joyce and Featherston

Scioscia should opt out and become the Mariners' manager for the lulz.

That would literally make this place blow up. Everyone on here would probably shit themselves because it would mean every single person here was wrong. Which is why I would love to see it happen. I would celebrate by banning AO until opening day, it would be my little gift to all of you. Where is AO anyway?

Chuck, this is a serious question, it's not at all meant to be derogatory or a trick question in any way: If Jerry Dipoto asked you to put together a baseball fan website in the Seattle area for the Mariners would you establish and run one for him? I'm curious about whether you're interested in expanding the franchise so to speak. Since you know him pretty well it seems like it would be a golden opportunity, or maybe a headache especially with two competing organizations?

If so, allow me to be the first to call Chuck a sell out (insert Claude's joke about the Angels never selling out a game this year here)

Of course not. This is the thing with guys who hate Scioscia, if you don't hate him and don't blame him for everything then you are either a nutswinger or an apologist. I think Scioscia is a solid manager that does more good than bad, so I am an apologist, despite the fact that I am completely fine with the Angels going a different direction and I also believe that if the Angels don't make the playoffs he will be gone.

You almost had me at Hello ... if you think Scioscia will be gone if we don't make the playoffs then your high as a kite!

It will be Mike's decision if he's gone.

You almost had me at Hello ... if you think Scioscia will be gone if we don't make the playoffs then your high as a kite!

It will be Mike's decision if he's gone.

Or it won't be. Regardless I stand by that comment. I could be wrong and if so I won't deny it. Call me Scioscia because I am going with my gut on this one.

I'm more reffering to people that doubted Dipoto and said he wouldn't get offered another GM position and that sided with Scioscia as all knowing and completely right.

I said I doubt he would get a gig this year. I was wrong and very surprised. Lets see how he does before judging the move. The Ms has spent a lot of money tonwin now.

I disagree..  The Rockies have a lot of issues...  The M's situation is much more stable IMO..    Its possible that the expectations were too set to high after winning 85 games last year...  The Ms have a lot of young guys that have been trying to establish themselves, sometimes it take a bit for it to all come together.   People are forgetting the Ms were the trendy pick to win the AL West and for many, to represent the AL in the WS...  Jerry could make a couple moves, Paxton (sp) could stay healthy finally, Walker could tap into his potential, Zunino could finally get his average over .250 and BOOM -- he's basically got the team that everyone thought had a chance to be world beaters.

They're only on the hook for 78 or so mil in guaranteed contracts next year.  The only FA of note on their roster is Iwakuma....  They could likely bring him back at a decent clip or choose to sign one of the pending FA starters.  There is very little reason to believe they cant be the team many were expecting this year, next season....  

You may be right, but I don't think Dipoto's skillset jives with the Mariners. Seattle sort of sucks at everything, even pitching which is really surprising. Perhaps, it's just an off year–either way, things just got a lot more interesting in the AL West.  

As much as people on here like to point out that this is an "Angelswin fact", this narrative is as you point out just about universal among sportswriters and analysts.

Don't you know that sportswriters just make up quotes to get clicks? Unless Jerry and Mike hold a joint press conference confirming that they do, in fact, despise each other it will never be anything more than the delusional musings of "Scioscia haters".

Yes, but only Scioscia gets blamed, got it?

I actually primarily blame Arte for squandering the 98 win series by insisting that Sciosica start Josh Hamilton in the lineup every day during the ALDS.

So DiPoto got the Mariners job.  Good for him. 

Our focus is in-house.  We can only concern ourselves with what happens here.  Pitch-to-pitch, at-bat to at-bat.  Our focus is clear on the job ahead of us and we have our expectations on where we want to be at the end of this thing.  We can't worry about what other teams are doing.  We can only control our destiny. 

The Mariners will win more games than the angels in 2016

Unless Moreno replaces the entire coaching staff and goes above the luxury tax threshold by a sizable margin, that outcome is not unlikely.