• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Chase Utley to the Dodgers

I thought Utley has a big contract through 2016 or something like that -- yes?  If so, he's more than a rental.

Don't like to see HK hurt -- he was having a great season for the Dogs as we knew he would -- still with Heaney coming along for us - I think we made the deal at the right time.

As for Utley -- Dogs got him just to keep him from the Giants -- but quite frankly, Dogs may have out-smarted themselves.........was just up at the Nats-Giants game last weekend and going to the Cards-Giants games at the end of the month here -- this kid Tomlinson that is filling in for SF's Panik at 2B is pretty good and quick, as well.......Giants probably weren't going to spend the money on Utley and now the Dodgers have.

although, as in any new SS-2B keystone combo -- Tomlinson not meshing with SS Crawford all that well at the start -- takes time.  Expect Tomlinson to make the playoff roster even if Panik makes it back --- Tomlinson is a guy who can PR for you in the late innings and then play 2B on D if needed.

As for Utley -- Dogs got him just to keep him from the Giants -- but quite frankly, Dogs may have out-smarted themselves.........was just up at the Nats-Giants game last weekend and going to the Cards-Giants games at the end of the month here -- this kid Tomlinson that is filling in for SF's Panik at 2B is pretty good and quick, as well.......Giants probably weren't going to spend the money on Utley and now the Dodgers have.

I wonder how many times that the Giants have feigned interest in a player just to see if the Dodgers will pick him up? It seems to me that the Giants are really in the Raviners' heads.

hmm, Angels should swoop him up.

Dodgers now DFA Callaspo ... hmm

Thought he was a better option than Gillaspie...It would be fine to give Cowart AB's if we weren't in a pennant race but he's probably not ready and Callaspo would make better sense for now...

This deal was more to keep him away from the Giants.....IMHO....

It was more to fill Kendrick being on the DL. The Giants are still in their rear view mirror but if the Dodgers don't fill that hole (which is obvious they couldn't internally so they traded for Kendrick) then the Giants would be able to catch them even without Utley. This trade had nothing to do with the Giants getting stronger, it was the Dodgers trying not to lose productivity from 2nd base.

I have met Giants fans in ballparks from coast to coast..

They are some of the best fans in baseball, and the Giants are one of the class orgs in all of baseball.

KNBR in SF is one of the best sports radio stations in baseball. They are nearly 24 hr Giants, and they have some awesome announcers. Arte and the Angels are total bush league when it comes to radio and tv. There is nothing to compare to the SF Giants media machine anywhere but NYC.

And they aren't bad at drafting and developing players, either.

I have met Giants fans in ballparks from coast to coast..

They are some of the best fans in baseball, and the Giants are one of the class orgs in all of baseball.

KNBR in SF is one of the best sports radio stations in baseball. They are nearly 24 hr Giants, and they have some awesome announcers. Arte and the Angels are total bush league when it comes to radio and tv. There is nothing to compare to the SF Giants media machine anywhere but NYC.

And they aren't bad at drafting and developing players, either.

Yeah, I kinda like that Posey guy...

Giants have some of the best fans, I don't know what he's talking about.

Most of the Giants fans I work with on a regular basis are hella annoying.

Fanbase. Went to school in San Diego; somehow more or at least more annoying Norcal fans there than LA fans. And I know that less than 3% of them know that the "SF" on their hat refers to a baseball team.

If you went to school in San Diego, there actually probably were more Norcal fans there than LA fans. College kids often go from SF to SD, and vice versa, to get geographically as far away from home as possible without paying out of state tuition. 

If they did then they would realize that none of their SF WS teams were even playoff quality, but instead they brag about it.

Huh?

The current playoff format is bullshit. Too many teams get in, there are not enough games in the ALDS rounds, and there are too many days off. If not for the combination of all three of these, the Giants would not have made it to the World Series.

Net result is a team that is not well rounded enough to win their own division, and that doesn't even win the most games out of non division winners is able to allow one starting pitcher pitching repeatedly on short rest to carry them through the playoffs. 5 game series are that is, inappropriate for a sport with as much element of chance as baseball. It turns the postseason into too much of a "crapshoot". After a 162game series, 7 games is the absolute minimum number of contests that should be allowed to determine who advances to the next round. 

The combination of short series and too many days off between postseason games exaggerates the importance of having one or two extremely good starting pitchers, and minimizes the importance of having a deep roster capable of winning a lot of regular season games.

Edited by ScottLux

Giant fans up here have become intolerable. Knew about 3 of them 5 years ago. Now EVERYONE I know has been a lifelong fan. It's annoying.

I don't think the playoff format is that bad, but it's a joke that Bumgarner single handedly won them the World Series last year. That's an issue. Don't get me wrong. The dude was a straight up boss in the Series, but he shouldn't have been able to pitch as much as he did.

And the most annoying thing to me about the team is their random pickups working out. Cody Ross killed it for them the first year they won it all and then never did anything again. Same with Aubrey Huff. Then he disappeared. Scutaro. Ishikawa. Always a bunch of nobodies. While they have done a fantastic job with homegrown talent, it feels lucky to me. Though Bochy has a lot to do with that. He's one of the best ever.