• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

MLB network

So I like to turn to MLB tonight and see what they say about the Angels after big plays (both good and bad.).

It's been an hour sicnr Calhoun and Mang homered and crickets.

Instead they've focused on every other game. It seems to always be that way. Is the Angels-Sox game that unimportant?

They know we don't wana hear about it... in general it's embarrassing...

They showed the highlights and went "inside the park" on several games. They don't care. That's the bottom line.

Pujols is the active HR leader. They should be showing every HR over and over again.

I'm not saying it is right, just the way they seem to be judging the importance of providing Angels' highlights.

I think it's more puzzling that the AL West isn't really being covered as a "race" at all.  Everyone from ESPN, to MLB.com to MLB Network is dropping the ball on this. 

Understandably, the TOR-NY thing is being covered because there are a lot of Yankee fans and there's only a game separating them.  But we're also being inundated with a make-believe STL-PIT race even though there are 5 games separating them, we're trying to be convinced of a NYM-WAS race, even though the Nats look completely lackluster.  They're all over the LAD-SF race, which is fine because they're rivals.

But it's almost as if everyone forgot that there are only 2 games separating the Angels from the Astros. It's the second closest race in baseball. And right now there seems to be a pretty decent chance that whichever team doesn't win that race, will also be in a WC spot.  In my opinion, after TOR-NY and LAD-SF, the Angels-Astros race should be the third most compelling in baseball. 

Here's the problem with this game in particular.

The White Sox are the second most important baseball team in the Chicago market.

The Angels are the second most important baseball team in the LA market.

I don't like it.  I don't agree with it.  But it is what it is - the Cubs and Dodgers are popular, the White Sox and Angels aren't.  It's not "no one outside the fan bases cares" - that's true of every team.  It's "the fan base is relatively small, they don't even win their own home town."

Along with the Mets, we form the Triumverate of Secondary Teams.  But the Mets get to be the Kings of that group because at least their secondary market is New York, where all media eyes are focused anyway.   

As far as the Eastern Sports Protection Network goes, feh.  

EDIT:  At least we're not as much of a miserable afterthought as Oakland is.  I totally forgot about them when I listed the Triumverate.  Tetrumverate?  Oh well.

Edited by hen3ry

They constantly talk about Mike Trout and his greatness.

Once the Angels give them a reason to be mentioned they will be mentioned. It's a great network. Once they get rid of High Heat and replace it a show for Eric Byrnes it'll be the best channel out there.

Just because Arte slapped "Los Angeles of Anaheim" on the team name, it doesn't mean people will start caring.

If it makes you feel any better, I was in a bar the other night, and the Baseball Tonight team were, I assume, talking about the Angels. The sound was off, but I could see the Angels logo on the screen.

So you have that.

Ask everyone here if they care what other people think about them and my guess would be that 98% would respond that they don't care at all.

But if a network doesn't care (or even mention) their favorite baseball team it becomes a big deal.

That goes for those that care if a network mentions the team as well as those that continually base the success of the name change on the attention those networks give the team.

As for me, i never have nor will i ever give a rat's ass about ESPN/MLB Network or the stale-ass subject of name change. Folks, that was a decade ago. Also occurring that same year:

- Hurricane Katrina

- Lance Armstrong wins 7th straight Tour de France

- Michael Jackson is found not guilty of child molestation charges

- Crash won the Oscar for Best Picture (seriously)

- Martha Stewart was released from prison

It just may be time to let it go.

Edited by Lou

Lou, i was watching the game. However had I been in a market where i couldn't see it, I would have been disappointed.

It's not about my favorite team. As someone who has produced a lot of TV and sports, I was quite miffed that they couldn't even string together the Calhoun and Pujols HRs together. It would have been :15 of highlights and :45 of Harold and the other putz discussing the team.

If anything, The MLB should embellish the races. And promote Trout and Pujols making a faux race with the Astros. They aren't going to get into slash lines, but to promote their game, which is all the network is for, they failed.

Edited by SOTO

Here's the problem with this game in particular.

The White Sox are the second most important baseball team in the Chicago market.

The Angels are the second most important baseball team in the LA market.

I don't like it.  I don't agree with it.  But it is what it is - the Cubs and Dodgers are popular, the White Sox and Angels aren't.  It's not "no one outside the fan bases cares" - that's true of every team.  It's "the fan base is relatively small, they don't even win their own home town."

Along with the Mets, we form the Triumverate of Secondary Teams.  But the Mets get to be the Kings of that group because at least their secondary market is New York, where all media eyes are focused anyway.   

As far as the Eastern Sports Protection Network goes, feh.  

EDIT:  At least we're not as much of a miserable afterthought as Oakland is.  I totally forgot about them when I listed the Triumverate.  Tetrumverate?  Oh well.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/04/23/upshot/24-upshot-baseball.html?abt=0002&abg=0

That's a map of baseball team popularity by zip code. The Mets and the Athletics are the only two teams in MLB that are not ranked #1 in at least one zip code.

Edited by ScottLux