• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Rays are 4-9

Blarg

Im a moderator in the Tech Forum, and I've stopped my Apple trolling since i've become a moderator.  To be honest,  Im also a bit surprised about this thread coming from a mod.

It's a joke and loses credibility for mods in general. I've already reported. See if anything actually happens. 

I am bringing supporting facts while the detractors want to deflect and stear this towards a Scioscia thread.

Last September the Angels were 18-9 while the Rays were a pathetic 17-10. Maddon choked down the stretch when he had the best closer in baseball.

I am bringing supporting facts while the detractors want to deflect and stear this towards a Scioscia thread.

Last September the Angels were 18-9 while the Rays were a pathetic 17-10. Maddon choked down the stretch when he had the best closer in baseball.

This is honestly embarrassing. 

Rays won 11 of 12 games to close out the season.

Eric - see your PM.  Time to knock this stuff off.

Brian, saw your PM. No thanks, I think people have a right to talk about other teams managers the same way they talk about the Angels manager. With the same clear logic.

How is a thread like this allowed from a moderator?

How are posts like yours allowed as a poster?  Eric makes some great points, and we are talking about Maddon's performance this year.  It's a baseball subject, and it's always good to learn from the good and bad of other baseball situations.

Both Maddon and Scioscia are extremely hands on, control types of managers.  They are very similar in many ways, but Joe takes it to a much deeper level.  At times his cute little games and tricks backfire, don't you think?

How are posts like yours allowed as a poster?  Eric makes some great points, and we are talking about Maddon's performance this year.  It's a baseball subject, and it's always good to learn from the good and bad of other baseball situations.

Both Maddon and Scioscia are extremely hands on, control types of managers.  They are very similar in many ways, but Joe takes it to a much deeper level.  At times his cute little games and tricks backfire, don't you think?

He actually hasn't talked about Maddon or any baseball strategy.  He is bringing up the teams record without context or what Maddon could have done differently.

The Rays benefited a lot from many years of being really bad, they built up a lot of really high draft choices. They also hit the jackpot on a GM, and he has been creative in the way he has retained those really high picks.  I would like to know how he went about putting together his scouting organization, and minor league system together.  I don't think they outspent the Angels in that department because they don't have the money to invest very heavily in that regard.  Part of the Angels having a poor farm system is that we have a good enough record at the end of each year to keep us from drafting really premier players on the first round.

The Rays benefited a lot from many years of being really bad, they built up a lot of really high draft choices. They also hit the jackpot on a GM, and he has been creative in the way he has retained those really high picks.  I would like to know how he went about putting together his scouting organization, and minor league system together.  I don't think they outspent the Angels in that department because they don't have the money to invest very heavily in that regard.  Part of the Angels having a poor farm system is that we have a good enough record at the end of each year to keep us from drafting really premier players on the first round.

..and so why are we comparing the two again?

Arte will probably do something like fire DiPoto, move Scioscia to the GM spot, and tell Scioscia to go hire a replacement manager.  That way he gets productive years out of Scioscia for his remaining contract, instead of eating the remainder.  If DiPoto does not bail himself out, he can be released later this year with little financial hit (it's the last year of his contract).

Arte will probably do something like fire DiPoto, move Scioscia to the GM spot, and tell Scioscia to go hire a replacement manager.  That way he gets productive years out of Scioscia for his remaining contract, instead of eating the remainder.  If DiPoto does not bail himself out, he can be released later this year with little financial hit (it's the last year of his contract).

Scioscia as GM would be good for some laughs.

Don't know if it would be good for anything else.

..and so why are we comparing the two again?

Because we are trying to learn from the mistakes or failures of other organizations.  Pick any organization that you feel is successful (or awful failure), ask why they are successful (or a failure) then apply the approach to the Angels situation.  There is one problem with this approach, by the time you implement that approach what is effective may have evolved into something else.  DiPoto needs to be one step ahead of everyone else.

Scioscia as GM would be good for some laughs.

Don't know if it would be good for anything else.

Specifically why wouldn't he be a good GM?  He's has a wealth of experience, he can relate to players since he was one, he is respected by other organizations, he's articulate, he doesn't rattle under pressure (he remains calm and on an even keel), and he is familiar with the entire organization (with some degree of good interaction with Arte).  He also speaks his mind, knows when to keep his mouth shut, and can handle the press. 

And the fact that they've been pretty quiet in the international market and have traded away an awful lot of the talent they have produced, or given away draft picks for big money free agents. Combined with the fact that they showed less of a willingness to pay overslot bonuses to talent that slipped because of bonus demands(back when you could without penalties), which is a large part of how teams with strong regular season performances managed to fuel their farms.

The Cardinals have managed to put together the best farm system in baseball without the benefit of early 1st round draft picks in recent years, as have the Angels in the past; so the Angels need to find a way to continue to do the same.

The major league team being good really isn't an excuse for having the worst farm system in the game.

Specifically why wouldn't he be a good GM?  He's has a wealth of experience, he can relate to players since he was one, he is respected by other organizations, he's articulate, he doesn't rattle under pressure (he remains calm and on an even keel), and he is familiar with the entire organization (with some degree of good interaction with Arte).  He also speaks his mind, knows when to keep his mouth shut, and can handle the press. 

He has no front office experience and I have very little faith in him from a talent evaluation standpoint.

How are posts like yours allowed as a poster? Eric makes some great points, and we are talking about Maddon's performance this year. It's a baseball subject, and it's always good to learn from the good and bad of other baseball situations.

Both Maddon and Scioscia are extremely hands on, control types of managers. They are very similar in many ways, but Joe takes it to a much deeper level. At times his cute little games and tricks backfire, don't you think?

So since my posts don't line up with your thinking they shouldn't be allowed huh? That's great to know.

Maddon has had more success with less over the past 3-4 seasons. I will say it again, people that want Scioscia out are not saying that just because of this 14 game stretch. Is that too hard to understand? It goes much deeper than that.