• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Intriguing LF option

$8 mil for the next two years combined for a left fielder is pretty good. Especially one that puts up the OBP that he does. You want players that can get on base? This is one of them.

I'm not sure I understand your math.   You say it's only 8 mil difference the next two years.... are you talking cap figure?  

CJ is owed 20 mil next year.   Werth is owed 21 mil in each of the next two years.  Swapping out CJ for Werth is only a net gain of 1 mil next year in real dollars but then you have the entirety of 21 million due the following year.

Do you really view Jason Werth as a 21 million dollar talent?  Can you project health and performance for Werth in 2017?   Both of those seem like a no.

According to baseball-reference, CJ is owed 18 and 16 leading to an $8 million difference over two years.

Do I view Werth as a $21 million talent? No.

Do I view CJ as a $18 million talent? No.

Pitching we have excess of. Left fielders we do not. It comes down to money. Are you going to add a $200 million contract in the off season, or are you going to eat $8 million over two years hoping he's a good stop-gap for someone in the minors?

He's got better defense than Joyce, a much better bat, and he plays all out. He'd be a good clubhouse guy, and if healthy like I think he will be, a good bat in our lineup.

Same reason you wanted to get rid of Kendrick -- doesn't matter how good he actually is, he isn't as good as they want him to be.   Also like HK, he will at some point scuffle and everything he isn't gets magnified.

I understand your point, but I think it's much different when you're talking about a SP as compared to a position player - a 2B at that.

According to baseball-reference, CJ is owed 18 and 16 leading to an $8 million difference over two years.

Do I view Werth as a $21 million talent? No.

Do I view CJ as a $18 million talent? No.

Pitching we have excess of. Left fielders we do not. It comes down to money. Are you going to add a $200 million contract in the off season, or are you going to eat $8 million over two years hoping he's a good stop-gap for someone in the minors?

He's got better defense than Joyce, a much better bat, and he plays all out. He'd be a good clubhouse guy, and if healthy like I think he will be, a good bat in our lineup.

Dude....

CJ Wilson's contract only runs through 2016.   Werth has 2016 and 2017.

2015 34 Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim $18,000,000 

2016 35 Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim $20,000,000   may block trades to 8 teams in 2016     Earliest Free Agent: 2017

2015 36 Washington Nationals $21,000,000 

2016 37 Washington Nationals $21,000,000    

2017 38 Washington Nationals $21,000,000         Earliest Free Agent: 2018

That 2017 season isn't going to be free.  

Edited by Inside Pitch

Dude....

CJ Wilson's contract only runs through 2016. Werth has 2016 and 2017.

2015 34 Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim $18,000,000

2016 35 Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim $20,000,000 may block trades to 8 teams in 2016 Earliest Free Agent: 2017

2015 36 Washington Nationals $21,000,000

2016 37 Washington Nationals $21,000,000

2017 38 Washington Nationals $21,000,000 Earliest Free Agent: 2018

That 2017 season isn't going to be free.

I must have missed that during my drunk research. Maybe we could get a little salary relief too, but whatever. It's never going to happen, it was just an intriguing option to me.

It would be absolutely incredible if this team somehow landed Yoenis Céspedes in a trade. Imagine him in the outfield with Trout and Kole—it would be worth it just for Billy Beane's tears.

Too bad its not going to happen,