• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Intriguing LF option

I've spent the last few days pondering who the Angels could target prior to the postseason, and I came across an intriguing name. It wasn't Jay Bruce, Yoenis Cespedes, or Josh (JJ) Reddick. It's actually a player who is quite older and owed much more money than any of those players. I can see it on your faces, even through the computer screen. "This guy's an idiot, he wants another old, over-paid, washed up veteran that Scioscia will keep trotting out there, just because he's a vet?" Yes, because if he can stay on the field, he's a plus defender, and can actually hit the ball, which is more than we can say for our current left fielder. 

Here's the mystery player's average stats over the last 3 years (including this year, which he's been injured most of the year)...

BA       OBP     SLG     OPS     WAR

.272     .362     .424     .786     2.6

His neutralized batting has him having even better stats, and at age 34-35 no less. There's only two problems... First off, he's on the DL until August. Second, he's owed $21 million dollors the next two years ($42 million for those who can't drink and do math.) Who am I talking about?

I'm talking about the Nationals LF Jayson Werth.

Yes, he's got some wrist issues this year and is out until August. Yes, he's owed a lot of money. Yes, he's old. No, he won't be traded for at the trade deadline. Yes, he'd have to clear waivers for every team to be able to be traded in August (probably won't be an issue.) But if we swapped CJ Wilson for Jayson Werth, there would only be an $8 million difference combined over the two years. As long as Werth is healthy, he'd be one of the better players in our lineup. It would be better than trading for a rental player in Cespedes or Upton. It would be better than trading for Jay Bruce who's career slash line is pretty depressing for the hype he had coming into the league. Jayson Werth's OPS/OPS+ is way better than Jay Bruce, and he leads him in almost every offensive category.

Do I think that the Angels should trade for Jayson Werth? It really depends if it's Werth it. I believe in Klentak/Servais' ability to swing a deal that could benefit the Halos, without having to give up a lot.

To be honest, I have been drinking, and I am in Vegas. Am I crazy for staying in my hotel room on a Sunday night? Maybe, but I'm down $220 on my trip even though I made $80 at the blackjack table last night at the Golden Nugget. Maybe I should just stay in my room drinking the rest of the time I'm here.

It really depends if it's Werth it. 

don't do this. you can be better than this.

also, werth is a salary dump candidate if he was healthy. the nationals would be all over a cj for werth deal because they'd be robbing the angels blind. it's the kind of deal i'm afraid the "new angels FO" might make. only because i don't know who's calling the shots anymore. 

the angels could have him for a decent prospect and some salary relief, imo. if he was healthy.

don't do this. you can be better than this.

also, werth is a salary dump candidate if he was healthy. the nationals would be all over a cj for werth deal because they'd be robbing the angels blind. it's the kind of deal i'm afraid the "new angels FO" might make. only because i don't know who's calling the shots anymore.

the angels could have him for a decent prospect and some salary relief, imo. if he was healthy.

My dad brain loved that pun, my bad. Also, CJ for Werth isn't a salary dump. We'd be getting a LF for $8 million over two years. A LF who is better than anything we are currently trotting out there. We wouldn't have to shoot our was all over Cespedes or Upton in the off season, and would give us a two year buffer to see what we're going to do. Will Kubitza become a league average LF? Maybe, and it might be Werth it to wait and see.

Being an east coast Angel fan and a Nats fan - the Nats wouldn't trade Werth. 

He's the grit of the team and deflects a lot of attention away from Harper.

And he plays RF 90% of the time - Nats move Harper to LF.

Don't get why everyone wants to trade Wilson.  He's been pitching well this season vs how Shoe or Weaver have and there's no guarantee Heaney will continue to pitch like he is.

There is no reason to trade for a guy that will need three weeks to get his swing back after returning from the DL and will also be adjusting to the American League. If this was season start then maybe you make that deal and platoon him at DH to reduce further wear and tear. Right now it probably won't pay off.

Being an east coast Angel fan and a Nats fan - the Nats wouldn't trade Werth.

He's the grit of the team and deflects a lot of attention away from Harper.

And he plays RF 90% of the time - Nats move Harper to LF.

Don't get why everyone wants to trade Wilson. He's been pitching well this season vs how Shoe or Weaver have and there's no guarantee Heaney will continue to pitch like he is.

Every game he's played this season has been in LF according to baseball-reference.

I don't know why so many people are in such a hurry to get rid of Wilson. Dude has been pretty solid for us this season.

With Wilson we are always waiting for the other shoe to drop or for the implosion. I am as rose colored glasses as the next guy, but if you can trade CJ and get an offensive piece for the next couple years, you have to do it.

I don't know why so many people are in such a hurry to get rid of Wilson. Dude has been pretty solid for us this season.

Same reason you wanted to get rid of Kendrick -- doesn't matter how good he actually is, he isn't as good as they want him to be.   Also like HK, he will at some point scuffle and everything he isn't gets magnified.

Edited by Inside Pitch

With Wilson we are always waiting for the other shoe to drop or for the implosion. I am as rose colored glasses as the next guy, but if you can trade CJ and get an offensive piece for the next couple years, you have to do it.

Exactly this. If you can take a piece that we have surplus of, for a piece that we need, in a trade that would benefit both teams, would you not do it?

Kody, dont listen to these guys. "If its werth it" is pretty good for a drunk guy.

I like the outside the box thinking, but werth isnt the guy, IMO. I really wanted him back when we chased crawford, even above beltre (i was an idiot). But hes never gonna be the philly version again, anaheim is tough on left handed hitters, and if we combine him and shoemaker we probably get a lice outbreak