• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Fernando Salas

Really? Who is this other serviceable 3B that you are talking about. Freese has a 1.3 WAR and Grichuk only has 1.2. In that regards were better off with Freese this year. Grichuk is Jeff Francouer.

Salas did have a 3.38 ERA last yeat. I think he is serviceable, but Scioscia just uses him at the worst times, as in close games.

With runners on.

He had the same problem early last year.

I agree with MT.

Don't get me wrong, Salas sucks balls. Big time. But with Rasmus and Morin both out Sosh doesn't exactly have much to go to in the way of solid RH relievers. Gott could be good, but he just pitched his first major league inning the other day, and Bedrosian sucks just as much as Salas does.

The team really needs Rasmus back.

Really? Who is this other serviceable 3B that you are talking about. Freese has a 1.3 WAR and Grichuk only has 1.2. In that regards were better off with Freese this year. Grichuk is Jeff Francouer.

Really, Grichuk is Francouer? Glad your crystal ball is working....Freese isn't a bad 3bman but there is very little indication that DiPoto wants to sign him after this year....So, you gave up Grichuk's potential for 2 years of Freese....I don't have a crystal ball but I'd rather have Grichuk in LF, now and in the future, than Freese at 3b...

As to who was available at 3b last year before the trade, I'd have to do some research....I still think Freese is a serviceable 3bman, not bad at all but not a lot more....but I'd rather have Grichuk in LF....

And, for the record, I like DiPoto, think he's done a good job....just don't think the Cards trade was his best moment...

Edited by DMVol

So you want Sosh to toss out a kid in his second game in a close situation?  I'm sure that would have gone over well here if he had failed.

AO ''Way to go Mensa Mike, using an unproven kid in a close game"

Not necessarily, if it's still a two run deficit, although I understand where you are coming from.    Obviously, a tie game, one run deficit, or a lead is another story. 

No one else is down there currently that inspires anyone, beyond Smith and Street.

Bedrock Jr. was showing signs, and then he imploded on Sunday.

So his arm isn't completely shot in the games we are winning?  Relievers can only pitch in so many games.  If the Angels win 80 games and have a tight lead in 65 of those, they lose another 10 that they are leading by a close margin late and he pitches in all of those games, that is 75 appearances right there.  Not to mention tie games and bullpen games.

So his arm isn't completely shot in the games we are winning?  Relievers can only pitch in so many games.  If the Angels win 80 games and have a tight lead in 65 of those, they lose another 10 that they are leading by a close margin late and he pitches in all of those games, that is 75 appearances right there.  Not to mention tie games and bullpen games.

This specialized game is comical at times.A reliever's arm is going to fall off pitching while we are down a run or 2 every once in a while? I am way to hard on Mike Scioscia for sure. However, I think he does not manage to win the game in front of his face many times. It is nice to think ahead to September, but you have to have a chance to win some of these close games. Salas was a white flag, and you could see it happening before it happened.

Edited by DropOfAnaheim

This specialized game is comical at times.A reliever's arm is going to fall off pitching while we are down a run or 2 every once in a while?

No, but we see examples of (for instance) closers coming in to games in non-closing situations and proceeding to crap the bed (happened to the Royals last night) because something something adrenaline something.

No, but we see examples of (for instance) closers coming in to games in non-closing situations and proceeding to crap the bed (happened to the Royals last night) because something something adrenaline something.

Mike used to have Donkey, Shields, Krod.   He hasn't had a donkey since. His obsession with strict roles seems to cloud his view of actual events happening on the field. I agree that players like having these roles. I do remember Smith being AMAZING when he closed last year. It was automatic. 

Salas did have a 3.38 ERA last yeat. I think he is serviceable, but Scioscia just uses him at the worst times, as in close games.

If you're going to use stats, try not to lie about them.

Freese's bWAR is 1.2, which is identical to Grichuk's but he's taken 246 at bats to get it that high where Grichuk has done it in 103 at bats.   The comparison gets worse if you compare them using fWAR.  Grichuk comes in at 1.1 and Freese at 0.9.   Salas, the player Grichuk was actually traded for comes in at -0.2 bWAR.

And forest for the trees time....   Randal Grichuk will be under club control until 2021.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Mike used to have Donkey, Shields, Krod. He hasn't had a donkey since. His obsession with strict roles seems to cloud his view of actual events happening on the field. I agree that players like having these roles. I do remember Smith being AMAZING when he closed last year. It was automatic.

Well there in lies part of the problem. You want Sosh to use these guys more often and compared them to K-Rod and Shields. K-Rod hasn't been as effective as he once was, possibly from being over worked. Oh and Scot Shields, he's only 39 years old and he's been out of the game for FIVE years.

Well there in lies part of the problem. You want Sosh to use these guys more often and compared them to K-Rod and Shields. K-Rod hasn't been as effective as he once was, possibly from being over worked. Oh and Scot Shields, he's only 39 years old and he's been out of the game for FIVE years.

I don't care for this sort of rational intelligent discourse.  I demand we all get back to the Salas hate.