• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Political Correctness Strikes Again

In my anecdotal experiences the Venn diagram between high level scientists and social skills don't seem to conjoin often. Considering such the subject of the OP seems remarkably well adjusted and respectful of the opposite gender.

Your right, this world does blow....that a person in position of authority would potentially set back women in the sciences by a generation because they're too sexy and cry. 

Hunt's fall followed a speech Tuesday at the World Conference of Science Journalists in South Korea in which he said that girls cause trouble in labs because "you fall in love with them, they fall in love with you, and when you criticize them, they cry."

I used to work at a large aerospace company many a moons ago, and even at 18 I knew the difference between right and wrong and watching the women engineers, and admin staff, being treated like a piece of meat was appalling. How any woman could put up with the sexist and misguided behavior and thoughts is beyond me.

I laugh when I hear men complain that they are policed for what they do and say...as if somehow women are to blame because men don't have the same birthright and privileges they used to have

I think he would agree with Coulter that none of them should vote either. 

It is too much PC but again I have worked many years in offices with women. I can't remember having to even say his sentence, even though it was not too out there.  

My original idea sounds truer, he got scorned and creeped someone out.  Yep going with that one. 

Your right, this world does blow....that a person in position of authority would potentially set back women in the sciences by a generation because they're too sexy and cry. 

Hunt's fall followed a speech Tuesday at the World Conference of Science Journalists in South Korea in which he said that girls cause trouble in labs because "you fall in love with them, they fall in love with you, and when you criticize them, they cry."

I used to work at a large aerospace company many a moons ago, and even at 18 I knew the difference between right and wrong and watching the women engineers, and admin staff, being treated like a piece of meat was appalling. How any woman could put up with the sexist and misguided behavior and thoughts is beyond me.

I laugh when I hear men complain that they are policed for what they do and say...as if somehow women are to blame because men don't have the same birthright and privileges they used to have

Please, did you or nate even read the article?  Even other women scientists think the results of this have gone too far.

Have we really come to a point in society where one mistake should cost you everything? 

If you followed the STEM industry then you would know that women have been kept out of those jobs for decades because of a stigma that they don't belong in the labs.

It is the same as a school superintendent saying that black people are a problem in schools cause they like crack and shooting people.

If you followed the STEM industry then you would know that women have been kept out of those jobs for decades because of a stigma that they don't belong in the labs.

It is the same as a school superintendent saying that black people are a problem in schools cause they like crack and shooting people.

If his entire history says one thing should one bad joke erase all of that?

You guys have a higher standard for everyone else but yourselves. 

Raise your hand if you have never said something stupid.

It is a bad joke on a hot button issue.  I would also call it more than just a joke.

I am on record for saying very many stupid things.  I don't do any public speaking for a reason... and that reason is nobody gives a shit what I have to say.  Also that I wouldn't be good at it.

Edited by nate

I wouldn't call this an assault by political correctness. I'm pretty sure that the percentage of people that think what he said was "okay" would be pretty low.

What I would call this is a direct result of the amplification of hostility between the different the political sides. Strictly going by the article (always a dangerous thing but for the point of discussion) it would seem that he has done a significant amount for the benefit of society and perhaps would deserve a second chance albeit with some tangible punishment. If Bill Nye inexplicably said something similar I can't imagine so many would be asking for his figurative head. They would weigh his previous contributions to society against his hypothetical transgression.

Edited by Thomas

It is a bad joke on a hot button issue.  I would also call it more than just a joke.

I am on record for saying very many stupid things.  I don't do any public speaking for a reason... and that reason is nobody gives a shit what I have to say.  Also that I wouldn't be good at it.

That is another thing, dude has been speaking for decades and this is the first time, it seems, that he has messed up.

If my kid were actually discouraged by something a person who doesn't know them at all, never met, never had contact, never heard of, I would feel I had done a bad job parenting.

That is another thing, dude has been speaking for decades and this is the first time, it seems, that he has messed up.

I am having a hard time believing that the guy even "messed up"... He said something about women crying.  Are people that obstinate that they wouldn't even consider that a joke?

Good god, folks, we say a million things worse than that.

Anybody who has ever said that a player played with a sore vagina - if you work with women, you should be gone.

How about that Angelswin after Dark?  Ever made a comment about a woman in that forum?  Do you work with women?  Be off with your job.

I am having a hard time believing that the guy even "messed up"... He said something about women crying.  Are people that obstinate that they wouldn't even consider that a joke?

Good god, folks, we say a million things worse than that.

Anybody who has ever said that a player played with a sore vagina - if you work with women, you should be gone.

How about that Angelswin after Dark?  Ever made a comment about a woman in that forum?  Do you work with women?  Be off with your job.

Good point yk.  I guess workplace romances don't happen and women don't cry more then men.

Right, as parents we have to and should teach our kids to ignore this.  As an industry and owners/managers of these companies, we have to change their thinking and hiring practices.

Companies, American at least, are desperate to do so. I would point the figure at society. The problem is universal and crosses all levels of class, ethnicity, and gender.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-women-tech-20150222-story.html#page=1

He didn't really get fired for one mistake.  He got fired because the company probably didn't want to deal with the backlash.  People are fired for stupid PR reasons every day.

The problem of course is that only makes the problem worse and escalates the hostility. It demonizes the side who supports STEM and gender equality as dogmatic extremists.