• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Political Correctness Strikes Again

By the way, if you believe in ideological enforcement, that's OK. I do too. I'm Catholic and I applaud the efforts of the archbishop of San Francisco to hold teachers accountable to opinions contrary to the faith.

If you have an ideology that denies differences between the sexes, it makes sense that you want to enforce it.

Notice how people scatter when you ask for evidence.

My son's going to Cal next year (nuclear engineering - and he's half Mexican!) and I told him that whenever he's confronted with something that sounds wrong ask one of two questions: If it's a sociological or scientific point, ask for evidence. If it's a philosophical or moral point ask for authority (who said?).

Some people who normally advocate left positions still feel queasy about such rigid Ness (it's from wired magazine):

The mob that thinks this is a good idea seems to be composed largely of people I generally respect: feminist, pro-science, publicly-engaged. But I feel like they’re not thinking about this clearly.

Let me admit my biases here: The last couple of months have been rough for me. In just the last couple of weeks I published two articles that pissed off a whole lot of people on the science-y left, including one for WIRED on gender nonconforming children, and another for New Statesman on vaccine politics. These have each generated a number of calls for my head from people on the pro-science left.

In addition, as you may have heard, I live-tweeted my son’s sex ed class, and with no warning that went internationally viral. (If somehow you haven’t heard about that, you can read what happened through my articles in The Stranger and The Guardian.) That was not exactly a pleasant experience, and I quickly got the sense my medical school’s administration was none too happy to have their institutional name on the front page of the Washington Post in this raucous sex ed context.

Thanks for the links. Hopefully, we can settle this calmly. Full disclosure: I had to write a paper (just an assignment, not a big deal) on this so I'm familiar with the subject. I also don't divide the world between men and women. I see women as slower, hairless men without dicks, but I'll play along with your binary world view.

The papers you provided point out that women are less than half of STEM workers (leaving out that many STEM "men" may identify as female). Women make up about half the population.

There are four possibilities:

1. Women are denied positions by sexist bosses.

2. Women aren't as attracted to STEM positions as they are to other fields, like human resources or psychology.

3. Women aren't as good at STEM.

4. Women like STEM, but are discouraged from pursuing those fields by their mothers.

Which one do you think is mostly correct?

Edited by Juan Savage

My daughter is a second year med student with an eye towards research. I think I'm the only man that's ever made her cry and that hasn't happened since she was 7. She said she doesn't understand how anyone who says something that stupid can be taken seriously but she's cool with the resignation because it moves everybody up the chain one link.

Yup, the next person in line with a Nobel Prize will take his place.

If she isn't on maternity leave.

Edited by notti

Glad you asked. First, this isn't uniform among all of STEM. Women do better at biology than physics, for example.

Men tend to be better at "right brain" type activities. This can explain why boys have higher math SATs. Women also show preference for soft majors in college.

http://www.forbes.com/2010/03/02/top-10-college-majors-women-forbes-woman-leadership-education.html

IOW, much of the disparity can just be innate ability and preference. Does pointing out these facts make me a bad person?

Edited by Juan Savage

First ...

I am taking Brandon's advice and not engaging any longer.  A simple google search will bring you all you need to know.

Then ...

Come on, man!