• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gott Coming Up

Gott, Bedrosian, Morin, Paredes, Mahle, these are all big pieces of the Angels future. Gott should be able to stick.

It's great to see the club working these guys in Scotty.  They are going to be pretty important to our future in the next few years.

Hopefully Gott sticks, alleviating the need for Salas.  One good trade balancing out another not so good trade.

I hated the Freese/Salas for Grichuk/Bourjos trade at the time, but looking back on it, is it really that bad?

My least favorite part was the inclusion of Grichuk and the addition of Salas.  I am not a Fernando Salas fan.  He makes me nervous as shit.  But he was pretty solid last year. 

Freese was solid/avg last year at a position that we didn't have anything close to solid/avg.  This year he's actually been above avg with his pretty typical mediocre defense.  

But the real key is what we gave up.  

Bourjos is a tremendous defensive CFer.  Yet on this team, he wasn't going to play CF.  Tried and failed.  You let the best player in the game play his position.  It was dumb to even try him in LF.  So Pete became a backup OFer at best.  He might have some value to us right now, but it still wouldn't be in CF, where he gets most of his value.  And he's really not that good of a hitter.  If he were playing LF everyday for us, we'd still be looking for an upgrade.

Grichuk on the other had might end up being a very nice player.  Good defender and some pop in his bat.  People have been shaking their head about seeing him in the Cards lineup everyday, but take a good look at his numbers.  All of a sudden, he's got a .284 obp and has walked 3 times in over 100 plate appearances.  He's hit for some good power, but we'll see how long that lasts when the book gets out on his lack of discipline.  He might end up being pretty good, but he's got a ways to go before I believe he's gonna be an everyday starter.  Would it be nice to still have him right now?  Sure, but not at the cost of someone like Callaspo at 3b.  

Bottom line is that it hasn't been an overly lopsided deal.  

I hated the Freese/Salas for Grichuk/Bourjos trade at the time, but looking back on it, is it really that bad?

My least favorite part was the inclusion of Grichuk and the addition of Salas.  I am not a Fernando Salas fan.  He makes me nervous as shit.  But he was pretty solid last year. 

Freese was solid/avg last year at a position that we didn't have anything close to solid/avg.  This year he's actually been above avg with his pretty typical mediocre defense.  

Bourjos is a tremendous defensive CFer.  Yet on this team, he wasn't going to play CF.  Tried and failed.  You let the best player in the game play his position.  It was dumb to even try him in LF.  So Pete became a backup OFer at best.  He might have some value to us right now, but it still wouldn't be in CF, where he gets most of his value.  And he's really not that good of a hitter.  If he were playing LF everyday for us, we'd still be looking for an upgrade.

Grichuk on the other had might end up being a very nice player.  Good defender and some pop in his bat.  People have been shaking their head about seeing him in the Cards lineup everyday, but take a good look at his numbers.  All of a sudden, he's got a .284 obp and has walked 3 times in over 100 plate appearances.  He's hit for some good power, but we'll see how long that lasts when the book gets out on his lack of discipline.  He might end up being pretty good, but he's got a ways to go before I believe he's gonna be an everyday starter.  Would it be nice to still have him right now?  Sure, but not at the cost of someone like Callaspo at 3b.  

That's a fair evaluation Doc.  You also have to remember that at the time Hamilton was a big part of our plans for 5 years, so Grichuk wasn't projected to get a full time chance for a few years.

I am a little confused on the tried and failed comment. Petey was the best defensive cf on the game when he played here. He even hit pretty well when he was given consistent playing time and not sitting in favor of Abreau and Wells.

My least favorite part was the inclusion of Grichuk and the addition of Salas. I am not a Fernando Salas fan. He makes me nervous as shit. But he was pretty solid last year.

Freese was solid/avg last year at a position that we didn't have anything close to solid/avg. This year he's actually been above avg with his pretty typical mediocre defense.

Bourjos is a tremendous defensive CFer. Yet on this team, he wasn't going to play CF. Tried and failed. You let the best player in the game play his position. It was dumb to even try him in LF. So Pete became a backup OFer at best. He might have some value to us right now, but it still wouldn't be in CF, where he gets most of his value. And he's really not that good of a hitter. If he were playing LF everyday for us, we'd still be looking for an upgrade.

Grichuk on the other had might end up being a very nice player. Good defender and some pop in his bat. People have been shaking their head about seeing him in the Cards lineup everyday, but take a good look at his numbers. All of a sudden, he's got a .284 obp and has walked 3 times in over 100 plate appearances. He's hit for some good power, but we'll see how long that lasts when the book gets out on his lack of discipline. He might end up being pretty good, but he's got a ways to go before I believe he's gonna be an everyday starter. Would it be nice to still have him right now? Sure, but not at the cost of someone like Callaspo at 3b.

I am a little confused on the tried and failed comment. Petey was the best defensive cf on the game when he played here. He even hit pretty well when he was given consistent playing time and not sitting in favor of Abreau and Wells.

I meant Trout.  Putting Trout in LF was a mistake.  Peter was great in CF.  Trout is very good and it's his spot.  Putting Pete in LF would have been a big hit to his value.  

loved the live arm and curve ball strike out...hopefully can get worked in for the future. not that excited by two balls out of ~ four going to the warning track.

He gave up only 4 homeruns over 124 career minor league innings pitched, so he doesn't seem to be homerun prone.